Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 124200 times)

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: ...a leaden crown upon the head of glory...
« Reply #780 on: August 17, 2021, 02:15:19 am »

((Updated my action with a plan to catch the big fish.))

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 17, 2021, 05:53:59 am »

Team Boat

Youare removes the function "fillet" from the knife, and stores it as a spell on his needle. If that's possible. He also unties Grey.

He then confers with the other homunculi on board.

"I may be able to turn an object into bait. One of us, perhaps, or an entire ship. Or simply something easier to handle than fish offal. Someone fast and tough enough could set out into the storm, find the creature we're hunting, and draw the thing back to us with that."

"Perhaps the woman who can transform into air would be well suited for this. I might be able to turn us, or our robes, into natural swimmers, so that might also be sensible. Would anyone be willing to risk that kind of mission?"

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 17, 2021, 06:36:24 am »

((Since we're debating strategies, I'll stow my plan in a spoiler for now.))

He also unties Grey.
"Much appreciated, thanks Youare."

"I may be able to turn an object into bait. One of us, perhaps, or an entire ship. Or simply something easier to handle than fish offal. Someone fast and tough enough could set out into the storm, find the creature we're hunting, and draw the thing back to us with that."

"Perhaps the woman who can transform into air would be well suited for this. I might be able to turn us, or our robes, into natural swimmers, so that might also be sensible. Would anyone be willing to risk that kind of mission?"

"It'd have to be big bait, definitely person sized at the least. It's not a little thing we're hunting after all. While I'm not enthusiastic about going into the storm myself, for anyone else going in there I could place a spell in their needle to help them keep the creature's attention on them, or simply grant them some other kind of magic, including, yes, water breathing if necessary."

"I have Luta's needle connected to mine, so it shouldn't be difficult to get her here if we need her, so long as I can find where mine went."

"My own idea is larger in scale, I think I can link this ship and the creature together with a shortening tether, and with any luck we can physically drag it out to us. However it all depends on if I can even cast magic on monster from here, and if this vessel is strong enough to not get pulled into the storm. It'll definitely be a bit hairy but I think it should work if no one wants to go out there."

((Retrospective edit, not Luta, I meant Tess. They both have the same text color.))
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 10:11:19 pm by Fire and Glory »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 17, 2021, 11:04:00 am »

"I'm not sure being in the water with that thing is a good idea."
Examine my rifle and ask it what could be done to it to make it stronger, and see how Elizabeth feels about being on a boat that's going out to fight a giant monster.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 17, 2021, 03:42:30 pm »

eat my cake, take some weapons and get ready to shoot something
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 17, 2021, 04:27:40 pm »

"
"My own idea is larger in scale, I think I can link this ship and the creature together with a shortening tether, and with any luck we can physically drag it out to us. However it all depends on if I can even cast magic on monster from here, and if this vessel is strong enough to not get pulled into the storm. It'll definitely be a bit hairy but I think it should work if no one wants to go out there."

"Give it a try. Ideally, that will work and we can avoid the storm entirely."
One wheel short of a wagon

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Aggressively Silly
« Reply #786 on: August 17, 2021, 04:57:59 pm »

"well you do live next to a cliff."
wait around, see how much ammo the rifle has.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 17, 2021, 08:53:46 pm »

"Give it a try. Ideally, that will work and we can avoid the storm entirely."
"I'll raise it to the captain. You may want to prepare something in case it doesn't work."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 17, 2021, 09:44:49 pm »

Quote from: Grey
"

“How are you linking? Do you need me to find something I can make into rope?”

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 17, 2021, 09:51:55 pm »

“How are you linking? Do you need me to find something I can make into rope?”
"The link will be magical in essence, if all goes well I should only need the magic inside me to make the connection."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #790 on: August 18, 2021, 08:30:29 pm »

You know what, fuck it. I’m going back to a seaside cliff and spending my new fate point on the KRAKEN again. Using the ROCK CHICKEN STATUE
Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)

[3,2]
You do get a squid. Not a colossal squid.  Not a Giant squid. Instead you get a Humbolt squid. Its certainly a pretty big squid, but nothing legendary. Oh and its also laying on the grass near the cliff instead of in the water below.

After having spent the entire walk down ot the shore attempting to communicate with the Speaker, Genesis waves the Speaker off to teh side while he talks to the gutter. ((I literally had it in my previous action, Cat, to speak slow and loud for Speaker's benefit, so either assume he at some point was properly informed, or assume that Genesis got very fed up with it and made clear that Speaker was annoying him.))

Shore Team:Genesis, Speaker, Tess
To Thomas Sysiscy:
"Hello. I am called Genesis. I am a homunculus, one of a group sent by the Magi to assist this town in it's hunt for the Hammer. We have been told that the problem is caused by a misplaced Rod of Bounty. We have several ideas on how a Rod of Bounty may have ended up in the sea instead of in the farmlands where it apparently belongs. One of those theories is that it may have been in your town the day that town slid into the sea. I am sorry to bring up unpleasant memories, but if you could tell me anything about your former town and the events of that day, it would be helpful."
Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: notes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current link web (click to show/hide)
"I was only a lad when it happened." he says, wiping blood off on his apron, "I just happened to be out in the fields that night, so when the quake hit and the cliff collapsed I wasn't there. Not a lot to say about the whole thing: was at night so there wasn't much to see. One minute there are lights from all the houses out there in the distance, next minute its just darkness. Sounded like thunder...never heard anyone scream. But if its a rod of bounty you're looking for, I don't think it would have come from us. The town was built on the edge of the cliff but the fields and animal enclosures were all radiating out away from it. The entire city went down but the fields were still there. Only way I can see it happening is if there was one in storage or the like...but I doubt it. Rules for those things are really clear: Never let them sit around unplanted."

He stuffs his hands into his pockets and thinks a moment.

"But I remember some people came to take all the rods we had after the collapse. They never said anything about any of them being missing. But they were looking around a lot too."

((Guess neither Luta nor Genesis is going to reply to the Speaker.))

The Speaker goes over to the waterfront and asks the sea if there is a hammer in it and, if so, where it can be found.

Spoiler: The Speaker (click to show/hide)

[2]
The sea has...clammed up.

Team Boat

Youare removes the function "fillet" from the knife, and stores it as a spell on his needle. If that's possible. He also unties Grey.

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
This is a bit of a toughy. Functionaries pull functions from things, not words. The knife is named because it is used to cut fillets but to fillet something is cut it into fillets. So...effectively what you'd be removing is the function of "Cutting into thin strips". So, really you'd effectively just be removing "Sharp" or "Cutting"  from it. We'll assume thats what you're doing.
[1][+1 fate][-2 HP]
You grab the knife to yank the function out of it but get a little overzealous. Instead of reaching into the unfathomable depths of the plane of Socratic forms you instead just grab the blade of the knife and cut your hand straight to the bone.

eat my cake, take some weapons and get ready to shoot something
You have your cake and eat it too. Otherwise you stand around with weapons and look threatening.  Maybe you shout some taunts over the rail at the fish below.

"well you do live next to a cliff."
wait around, see how much ammo the rifle has.

The rifle has anywhere between zero and infinite bullets depending on your rolls. I ain't tracking shit. We'll assume you have ammo until fate decides you don't.

"I'm not sure being in the water with that thing is a good idea."
Examine my rifle and ask it what could be done to it to make it stronger, and see how Elizabeth feels about being on a boat that's going out to fight a giant monster.

[2] The rifle is oddly tight lipped for something without lips.

Liz seems cautiously excited to be embarking on an adventure. She asks to be taken to the rail to look out into the water. She doesn't, however, try to stray from you whatsoever. The most she does is leave the crook of your arm and climb up to perch on your shoulder.

For wizards you're all really eager to get weapons substantially less powerful than what you already have.
((It's for magic. You'll see. Maybe.))

"I wasn't actually going to shoot the captain. These seafarers really don't know how to take a joke..."

"Dew! Do you think you can untie me? I had a misunderstanding with the men downstairs."

Grey gets untied by Youare. He ditches the sign and mittens afterwards.

Grey also tries to determine where his needle and saber ended up, and retrieves them.

After talking with the other Homunculi, Grey speaks up to catch the captain's attention.

"Captain! I believe I know of a way to drag it out of the storm, but it won't be easy."

"So long as we're heading in the beast's general direction, and we're coming closer to it, I think I can create a link between it and this ship which will draw the two together, reeling it in like a fish on a hook, so to speak.”

“The trouble is that this is a very big fish, so it's going to be a battle between us and The Hammer to see whether we can pull it out of the storm, or if it can pull us in. I don't know if this ship is strong and heavy enough to drag a mean leviathan out of the storm, so if you think it is, captain, we can give it a shot."

"There's also the possibility that it's just too far away for me to reach it, but we should know if the magic works or not."

If the captain agrees to the fish-on-a-hook plan, then while the Leaden Crown is headed towards the storm, Grey spends 2 fate on Maintaining the rate at which the Leaden Crown and the entity known as The Hammer are becoming closer together. The idea is to create a paradox where there is a shortening distance between the ship and the monster even after the ship has stopped and started to reverse. So hopefully the magic will correct this paradox and bring the two objects closer together regardless.

If the magic fails to catch, Grey lets the captain know and he can go with the original plan.

If the magic does catch, Grey informs the captain that he should start reversing the ship, and if after a while it looks like the ship is going to get dragged into the storm, or, god forbid, it looks like the ship is going to get pulled underwater, Grey attempts to break the connection.

If the captain thinks this is a bad idea (it could be), then Grey spends 1 fate on Maintaining the ship's hull instead.

To accomplish either of these things, Grey cuts the mediocre Maintaining of Greed's ability to breathe.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)

We'll assume he cut you free before he moved on to himself.

Your stuff is still with you.

You tell the captain your plan and he slowly nods along with it, eyes snapping out towards the storm and then back to the ship as the gears turn in his head.

"Not unlike what we do with our harpoons and lines already. But we generally use the weight of our ship instead of its engines to tire the beasts if they run. I'm not certain the strength this creature has, but it might be able to pull us with greater force than we can pull it. For a while at least." he taps his cane on the deck while continuing to think aloud. "But we might be able to get around that. There's a sand bar not far out. We could wait for your spell to connect and then beach ourselves and drop all anchors. Should give us some good footing  or at least a good start...."

He walks to the front of the ship and looks out at the storm.

"Only one thing really worries me. If it dives, might it take us with it? That spell o' yours is a winch that keeps tightening, no matter what. If the only way to keep pulling is to go down, we'll go down...or it will come up. Or we'll snap in two depending how that magic is anchored to us."

He turns back and points his cane at you.

"You can 'maintain' anything right? If we could get the hammer moving towards shore, could you force it to keep going that way till it beached itself? If we can get that thing on land we'll have won without a single harpoon loosed."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 18, 2021, 09:52:38 pm »

“I still have a maintain spell, maybe I can maintain its motion, but I think I’d have to get close to it first”

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 18, 2021, 10:07:32 pm »

"Only one thing really worries me. If it dives, might it take us with it? That spell o' yours is a winch that keeps tightening, no matter what. If the only way to keep pulling is to go down, we'll go down...or it will come up. Or we'll snap in two depending how that magic is anchored to us."
Grey nods to the wise concern regarding getting pulled underwater.

"My hope is that it'll have to come up but yes, it could potentially drag us under instead. I'll try to break the connection in that case but there is definitely risk."
"You can 'maintain' anything right? If we could get the hammer moving towards shore, could you force it to keep going that way till it beached itself? If we can get that thing on land we'll have won without a single harpoon loosed."
"I believe so. The only uncertainty is how far my magic can reach. If we can get the thing moving in a direction of our choosing, and we know for sure that it is moving, our options would certainly improve."

"One of my fellows had the idea of sending one of us out to try and catch the things attention. If you don't like to risk the ship we can plan something in that direction."

Grey confers with the other Homunculi.

“I still have a maintain spell, maybe I can maintain its motion, but I think I’d have to get close to it first”
((Sorry to be confrontational but when did you get it? I don't think I saw it in your inventory. It's not too important because Grey can give one to Dew if she wants to go out.))

"Youare had some ideas for using magic to send one of us out to find the creature. Do you want to do it? We can try getting the Chameleon here if you think it's too dangerous."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 02:01:40 am by Fire and Glory »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: August 18, 2021, 10:09:40 pm »

((I thought every needle had Maintain as the default))

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: August 18, 2021, 10:13:44 pm »

((I thought every needle had Maintain as the default))
((I don't believe so, the needles are blank slates for containing spells and at one point Grey did put a generic "Maintain" in his needle, and also put "Maintain Velocity" in Genesis's needle, but the needles can't do it on their own.))
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 116