Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 31

Author Topic: Can delphonso make a commercial game?  (Read 49916 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Can delphonso make a better game?
« Reply #210 on: August 11, 2022, 10:06:52 pm »

It's here: PLAY NOW!!!

Let me know if you run into any horrid export errors or loop bugs. It should be okay, but honestly the testing has been minor.

Someone is hammering a new hole into our bathroom wall, so it's a bit hard to focus on writing up what I did this morning: long story short, I only tied up loose ends. I'm going to try to prototype a auto-battler combat system today. If it feels good, the new loop will be that the boss fight is available at all times, so sewer diving would just be to defeat and thus collect monsters to build up your own team.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 12, 2022, 04:01:23 am »

Sounds exciting, I kind like the sound of having a big party and fighting a whole bunch of monsters at one time.

Also why is someone hammering a hole into your bathroom wall?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2022, 06:45:52 am »

(It's either the voyeurs next door, or the plughole has been in the wrong place since the house was blown onto its side There are no more possibilities, it's definitely one or the other.)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2022, 07:24:28 am »

We've had a series of issues with our water heater, electricity, and a pesky bathtub that was in the way. Whether this was orchestrated by voyeurs or not...remains to be seen.
God Willing, everything is done.

So, I have a working prototype for an autobattler, which my wife found so fun that I had to kick her off the computer so I could get back to work on it, which is a good sign. A friend found two big errors in that playable version (one being a boolean error that means you can't get back to the sewers), so I'll fix those up over the weekend and hopefully have basically an entire game on Monday.

Before going forward, I've noticed that progress on this project has been incredibly fast, which I attribute to the prototype-then-implement process I've been doing.

Reflecting on Capumon, which was the biggest project I'd ever made, I also tried to build everything inside what I already had. This meant I was trying to squeeze things in, link them together, and breaking them both in the process. I'd get an error on an emptied array, only tangentially related to what I was focusing on, then have to fix that before continuing. Or I'd have to scramble some code in one place to quicken testing, then unscramble it later - or scramble more than expected because it's all connected.

This time, I've made every 'next step' as a separate project, got it working to where I wanted it, then figured out how to slide it into the code I had. This might be intuitive for experienced devs, but is sadly something I've had to figure out on my own. It has meant that I can really iron out local, technical issues and - knowing the game's codebase - recognize specific struggles I might run into which aren't present in the prototype. I could prepare for implementation because it already worked, rather than struggling to get it working while also implementing it.

I'm also doing a lot more 'get it working enough' and less 'get it finished'. For example, the look function I made was 'complete', but rife with errors such as - after looking at someone pressing Enter anywhere would...look at them again. I decided to leave it at this, because I was sure I would rewrite it later anyway (as I did for this release). In Capumon, I certainly rewrote a lot of things which I'm dodging a lot better now.

Anyway, I feel amazing about the progress and confident in my own abilities, in a much different way than Capumon. It's also been a struggle to make these logs because I'm getting so much done in one sitting - just an hour or two and I'll have three or four major topics to address.

Either a bit later tonight or sometime tomorrow I'll recap what I did today/yesterday.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 13, 2022, 03:05:48 am »

so I'll fix those up over the weekend and hopefully have basically an entire game on Monday.
Damn son you make this stuff seem so easy, this game seems to be coming along way faster than the last one.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 13, 2022, 05:03:11 am »

so I'll fix those up over the weekend and hopefully have basically an entire game on Monday.
Damn son you make this stuff seem so easy, this game seems to be coming along way faster than the last one.

Stumbling over all those stones on Capumon really paid off. It also helps that this game is a lot less technically complex and is also much more in line with what Godot is meant for - so, for much of this, I can rely on built-in features rather than having to build them myself.

Okay, Sewer Kings:

So previously I made a class object (naming convention still escapes me, so this is likely the wrong terminology) - which is effectively a node that can do some operations for us given certain information. I took the same idea and made a more regular class: an NPC.

This is a Godot Reference - which isn't a Node. The difference? Heck buddy, if you figure it out please tell me because I have no fucking clue. You'll notice, I also didn't declare this as a class. I'm not sure if I'll be using the same structure for enemies - so I left it as its own thing for now.

What it does is quite simple - it takes a random description, name, and dialogue text from whatever arrays we feed it from the outside. I sat down and made a bit of content for each category.

About 12 first and last names:

Ten or so dialogues (really, it's a monologue, since the protagonist remains silent)

And then several descriptors, which I decided to break up into three parts:

When you start a new game, the game will go through the list, grabbing a first name and a last name at random, then removing both from the rotation, so that we don't get any repeats.

You'll notice it's reliant on the size of the first names list. I'll add a conditional here later so it will operate correctly if the last name list happens to be shorter than the long name list. You'll also notice that this will make 12 unique names only - which isn't many, but is a lot with such a small cast so far.

Since I decided to cut up the descriptions into three parts - I also decided that it's fine if some of these repeat (unlike dialogue and names, which shouldn't repeat). I move all these description parts into the Reference itself, then grab three at random and attach a pronoun to them. So now it'll read something like:

Here we have delphonso.
He is tall and thick around the middle.
He smells of cheap wine...on a good day.
He has a tendency to obsess over one topic for weeks or months at a time before moving to the next one.

This also means we only need to pass two lists to the NPC Reference, now. One full of names and one full of dialogue. These need to remain outside the Reference, because the Reference is going to be checked for every NPC we make - so it would be quite difficult to modify the lists if they're not outside of it.

Okay, let's make NPCs!

First we see how many NPCs are on the homeworld map,
Then, for each of those, we make a new NPC by sending the dialogue and namelist to the Reference.
What we get is a new object that has a name, description, and dialogue.
We add that to a dictionary of NPCs.
We then erase that dialogue and name from the list and start again.

The dictionary of NPCs is indexed by coordinates, so it looks like this:

(24,13) : name="delphonso", description="He looks like shit", dialog="Oh no, I pooped my pants"
(25,13) : name="Urist", description="A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry", dialog="So the kestrel and the kobold..."

Except description is actually an array of 3 description sentences. More like, description[0] = "He looks like shit.", description[1] = "He smells like shit.", description[2] = "He is shit."

You may have noticed I called for the global a lot here. Like - A LOT. Don't worry, I realized that as I was getting started, finished it to test it, then moved it over to the global. It now rests comfortably there, with most other functions in the game.

This is also only adding NPCs to the game based on the number I've placed in the home-town (something I expected to change, but haven't and it's growing on me how it is). I added this function for adding new NPCs should we ever want to. For now, it just does nothing.

Finally, I grabbed the right-most position in the dungeon and added a different symbol to it. I gave that position a collision that sends you back to the hometown.

Before releasing it on itch, I also modified some of the colors and have hit a more generic rogue-green with dark background for the textlog. I'll keep messing with it.
Spoiler: Meet the NPC: Gilli! (click to show/hide)

Oh, I also cleaned up the Look and Talk function so they now use the same function, but flip a boolean whether you're looking or talking to someone.

Okay,
Sewer Combat!

For the sewer combat I decided to abandon the grid-based movement and just have critters/warriors move on a pixel-by-pixel basis. I simply put two buttons down that say "Add Ally" and "Add Enemy". This is just a prototype, remember. The whole thing consists of a tilemap to build the walls and floors, two positions for spawning enemies/allies, and that's all.

First thing's first - get the enemies to target the good guys.

The enemies grab their parent(the arena, effectively), then grab the list of allies that the arena keeps track of. They target ally_list[0], which will always be the ally that has been around the longest. Here you see a lot of dudes rushing down a dude who isn't moving.

Now, we add the same logic in reverse to the allies. Now that's what I call a real battle! Just a bunch of happy dudes shoving each other around.

Oh god, they got knives!

Now both teams spawn with weapons which they rotate around themselves (I can add a swing motion later, but there's something silly about all these guys wind-milling at each other). If a weapon hits someone on the opposite team, that member is deleted. I also added a win/lose screen that prompted the player to start again. This is what my wife found so appealing - trying to keep the violence going as long as possible. This is a cry for help from me, delphonso.

I also changed it so the pawns now target a random member of the opposite team, which changes occasionally, and means they tend to move toward the middle of the pack every time. I'll tweak this as well, as it sometimes looks pretty buggy - although it's effective for now.

I added some HP to units, then variable damage. I can pretty simply add a defensive value (damage reduction) as well.

It's enjoyable to watch, but would also be over real quickly in regular play. I'm not expecting the player to have more than just something like this on the field:

@     k
k    ë
@   
         g

As of now, I'm thinking of how to make this more engaging for the player. I've got two ideas currently, both of which should easily slot into what I have now.

Option 1:
Rally Points:
The player remains engaged as they have some control over the positioning of their team and can tell them to move to certain areas of the map - this works best if the map has more obstacles, which would mean more pathfinding intelligence on my part.

Option 2:
Rematch!:
Instead of finer control, the player has zero control and is just betting on RNG. When you start a combat, you'll have 3 retries. You'll also be shown the reward, should you win: Let's say "3 kobolds added to your team". You can rematch any time before combat finishes, and if you do, the reward is reduced. This should make even fights way more exciting - as you hover over the rematch button praying that Cheeslfeebus can kill that last kestrel.

Not sure which one to go with, but I think both are decently good ideas. Implementing both might be possible, but depends how much work I want to put in - how much work it takes to add this to the game.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 05:33:16 am by delphonso »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 14, 2022, 05:01:08 am »

For the sewer combat I decided to abandon the grid-based movement
Blasphemer!

I'm really liking the direction you've gone with the descriptions and stuff, do you plan on doing the same with the monsters, also there's something quite amusing about the windmills of death thing you've got going in that one picture.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 15, 2022, 01:43:46 am »

I managed to make prototypes of both ideas this morning. I'm getting a couple friends to playtest both tonight and should be able to shuffle one or the other off to itch tomorrow so you guys can play.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 15, 2022, 01:53:31 am »

PTW, didn't know this was a thing you were doing!
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 15, 2022, 02:09:23 am »

I managed to make prototypes of both ideas this morning.
Which ideas?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 16, 2022, 05:14:50 pm »

The game won't let me pick up the sword and armor and kill everyone. BOO!

Otherwise, I enjoyed walking around and talking to people.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 20, 2022, 06:02:29 am »

Crashing and burning as the heatwave finally came for me and my family. We're without AC or fans. Send help.

So, I managed to make monsters wander around the dungeon randomly - using a simple algorithm to see if there is space for them to walk. No sprites yet and no collision leading to a combat scene. I'm nearing the end of this holiday, so this might just be something I try and blast through in the next couple days.

Which ideas?

So I managed to get working versions of both the "give commands" version and the "gamble on bigger winnings" version. This might have actually been what really burned me out: making two versions of combat, one of which won't be used. The gamble version isn't actually as exciting as I had hoped, however the team-building mechanics I quickly implemented are satisfying enough. The ability to control your units (as one big mob), is engaging enough to make combat something to not just slog through, but to actually enjoy a bit.

PTW, didn't know this was a thing you were doing!

Thanks, hoping to do more in this thread. I might start a bigger, slower project, and to post weekly instead of trying to go daily.

The game won't let me pick up the sword and armor and kill everyone. BOO!

Otherwise, I enjoyed walking around and talking to people.

Killing people in town is a stretch goal. Thanks, glad you enjoyed that part.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 21, 2022, 05:11:03 am »

Sounds like this is gonna be a fancy game with those two combat systems.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 22, 2022, 08:31:10 pm »

Okay, so I have been working on this in the background, and just not keeping logs of what I've done. Most of this was me sitting in a sweaty room trying to figure out how I want combat to work and I finally decided to just fucking make something and be done with it. That's it boyos. I'm trying to finish this game today.

I want content complete by the end of my day, or else, leave my own badge and gun on the table.

So what have I done recently?

I made several arrays full of positions of stuff in the town so now the look command can do this:

This was done with a lot of conditionals that I don't think were very well-done, but hey. It works.

Here's what the main town looks like now:

If you played the demo for a bit you probably noticed that it's broken. There was a boolean error on returning to the town that made it impossible to go back to the sewers. So now I've added that check to the scene manager instead of attaching it to the player.

You'll also see that difficulty increases every time you return. I connected that difficulty to dungeon size and number of enemies, and will also connect it to something like stats, I think.

I've also made it that the Sewer Kings are accessible at any time after the first time you've gone to the sewers. I'm a fan of this model of game: Here's the boss, you can fight it at any time, go get yourself ready for it.

Speaking of getting ready for it, I laid out some more of the infrastructure I'll need once I get to that point:

I also set up a dictionary to keep track of the sprites I'll use for enemies and allies - these coordinates relate to the region of the tileset.

Inside the dungeon we now also have enemies who wander randomly:

This uses a pretty bad method which is just to make sure they don't walk into the same square as each other or into the player. Their movement is just random, unfortunately. But as I was researching A* movement, I decided it was unnecessary for what this is supposed to be - just goons wandering and whether you want to fight them or not is up to you.

I also made it so the textbox is visible if you're inside the dungeon. The top header is lost, which is fine.

The camera/textbox/ui in general is all slightly off center, so shrinking it down just made things look real bad. Here, I ended up manually setting the location. Unhappy about it, but couldn't find a quicker solution programmatically.

I'll need to change the dialogue to reflect the game better, now that the design has changed slightly. I'll hold off on that until I've finished the combat system, etc, so I don't have to do that work more than twice.

Hoping to have it done today, then polish it for a day or two afterwards. Oh, also have to make music/sound effects.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 23, 2022, 04:05:08 am »

Sounds fancy getting sound and sound affects, will there be battle music?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 31