Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 59457 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #435 on: September 27, 2022, 02:19:41 pm »

Ukraine (thus on topic fully, again!) has directly blamed Russia, and that article also fills in other details that have emerged since.

(NB., I'm getting to the stage of thinking that Ukraine almost would blame Russia for everything up to Typhoon Nanmadol, although I'm certainly of a like mind in this case. Clearly no accident/single-point-failure, in this case, and I'm just not sure if it was incompetently done or whoever did it intended it to be 'obvious'. And you can definitely say that Suspect #1 is Russia, whilst the candidates for Suspect #2 are vague and far more unlikely.)

Motives are unclear (probably more a chess-move thing, as intended), whoever it is. Could just be throwing toys out of the pram (and not just Russia) or an attempt to poison fish stocks or openly 'sending a message' or some complicated attempt to misdirect blame or not even what was intended (did somebody not realise that there was gas that was going to be released, and that seismic monitoring was just so good?). But repairs (possibly even temporary patching up) might not be quick, or perhaps ever really practical.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 27, 2022, 07:11:56 pm »

An interesting theory that I've heard is that there are people in Russia really antsing for a "return to normal" with an end to the war so they can go back to selling gas over Nordstream and getting rich. And what Putin was intending to do is to remove that as an option entirely, so they would quiet down.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 27, 2022, 09:18:32 pm »

Here's another horrible theory; Putin might start pushing gas into the now-broken pipes, with intent to force someone to attack "Russian soil" to stop the ecological damage.

If Russia is attacked, there probably are Russian war-time laws that would give him stronger "martial law" rights over his immediate rivals who want that "return to normal", meaning he could shoot them in public as "traitors".
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 28, 2022, 12:19:47 am »

Here's another horrible theory; Putin might start pushing gas into the now-broken pipes, with intent to force someone to attack "Russian soil" to stop the ecological damage.
You know he could just vent gas at the wells if he wanted, right?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 28, 2022, 12:30:48 am »

If Russia is attacked, there probably are Russian war-time laws that would give him stronger "martial law" rights over his immediate rivals who want that "return to normal", meaning he could shoot them in public as "traitors".
Which works until the EU's actually at war with Russia. Even if we didn't go onto their soil we'd play merry hell with long range missile strikes, ship sinking, and probably going into Ukraine and kicking Russia out.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 29, 2022, 06:35:45 pm »

IMO, Gazprom\Russia found a way to avoid paying fines for breaking contracts for not supplying Gas this winter.
Sure, by supplying Oil to the territorial waters of their customers!

...like seriously, there are no fines because the EU unilaterally cancelled the contracts. Or Russia did. Or there are going to be fines regardless if the Gas is delivered.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 01, 2022, 06:00:24 am »

From the Guardian:

In Tuva, southern Siberia, the authorities will give your family a sheep if you sign up for military service, the independent media outlet Holod reported.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 01, 2022, 06:29:30 am »

A single sheep? Cheapskates, I'm pretty sure a human life is worth a small flock.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 01, 2022, 06:33:30 am »

Ukraine's claiming that Lyman's been encircled, with 5-5.5k Russian troops now trapped.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 01, 2022, 07:25:59 am »

Ukraine's claiming that Lyman's been encircled, with 5-5.5k Russian troops now trapped.

Some Ukrainian folks claim that. There is no official source (Arestovich IS not an official source) saying that. Ukraine rarely claims anything of this nature.

5K is likely an exaggerated claim. 500-2K is far more probable
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 01, 2022, 10:16:16 am »

An interesting theory that I've heard is that there are people in Russia really antsing for a "return to normal" with an end to the war so they can go back to selling gas over Nordstream and getting rich. And what Putin was intending to do is to remove that as an option entirely, so they would quiet down.
Nordstream 2 is actually not that damaged so they could resume gas sales.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 01, 2022, 11:57:48 am »

Some Ukrainian folks claim that. There is no official source (Arestovich IS not an official source) saying that. Ukraine rarely claims anything of this nature.

5K is likely an exaggerated claim. 500-2K is far more probable

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1576248108690079745 - Now THIS is an official source.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 01, 2022, 12:08:56 pm »

Propaganda works both ways, usually you take both sides claim, divide by 2 and you're "probably" not far from the reality.
But it's something difficult to do when a side claims there's no loss and the other side claims everyone is dead.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 01, 2022, 01:26:56 pm »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63102220

There we go, Russia's withdrawn from there. Whether the withdrawal was an actual withdrawal or "We got our arses kicked so hard we had to leave" is going to come out in the next few days, I suspect.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 01, 2022, 01:41:05 pm »

Just after it becomes "Russian territory" ...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 60