Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119172 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #480 on: June 06, 2022, 12:30:21 am »

It will never happen. The whole 'reclaiming Lviv' narrative is so absurd that it has to be originating from Russian troll farms.
And eu4 enthusiasts

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 06, 2022, 12:49:28 am »

How long until Poland invades western Ukraine to reclaim territory lost 100 years ago?
The Russian segment of the internet is confident that this will happen very soon. And it is one of the most hilarious stuff to read there. They seem to fail to understand that for a modern democratic nation land grab of this kind is unthinkable.

Also, we live in a weird timeline. If anyone told younger me that Polish politicians will be saying "Glory to Ukraine," I would consider them absolutely crazy.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 07, 2022, 06:10:39 am »

So as not to clutter the news thread with idle chat:

Army ranks are a fucking crime against reason, I swear

Their rank structure generally follows the same pattern as everybody else -

Yes and their all crimes against reason too! Let's just go back to having army ranks based on how many men you command. This is a Tenman Rambo, he's under Hundredman Killinger.

You could even give each Tenman under each Hundrednan their own decade so one would be Tenman, the next Twentman, next Thirtman, and so on.

There, I've fixed your army ranks. Man, I ought to get paid for this
Why not binary, though? Think about it. You start with Twoman, Fourman, and so on. With the power of ten you get to Kiloman. And then... Megaman. Off to fighting dr. Wily's robots.
The supreme commander of all armed forces should of course be called Superman.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 07, 2022, 06:18:29 am »

It's the perfect system.

To advance in rank, you have to beat the person of your next higher number in personal combat.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 07, 2022, 06:38:04 am »

That would result in the top ranks being occupied by Chad 'Steroid' McDumbass and his friends from the gym. Maybe make the competition something more geezer-friendly. Like bingo.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 07, 2022, 09:26:28 am »

Don't you dare muddy my perfect system!
Love, scriver~

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 07, 2022, 09:33:25 am »

That would result in the top ranks being occupied by Chad 'Steroid' McDumbass and his friends from the gym. Maybe make the competition something more geezer-friendly. Like bingo.

Ah, now you're reminding me fondly of Kenshi & the 256 squad limit mod.  I had thought of trying to create an actual company in that game, complete with hierarchy and ranks.  I actually really like games where you can organize people into military units.

It's the perfect system.

To advance in rank, you have to beat the person of your next higher number in personal combat.
Considering how the War in Ukraine is going for the Russians, personal combat skill should be a greater emphasis for their Generals.
As opposed to the current promotion system, which they adopted from Pre-Victorian England, AKA bribery.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 07, 2022, 09:46:31 am »

Considering how the War in Ukraine is going for the Russians, personal combat skill should be a greater emphasis for their Generals.
As opposed to the current promotion system, which they adopted from Pre-Victorian England, AKA bribery.
Noo, they should not change anything about that. ;) I also heard their lower officers have no agency to make any decisions on their own. Great idea. Let every general check in person if soldiers on the front tied their shoelaces correctly. Actually, let Putin himself do that, to be absolutely sure. If you want a job done well, gotta do it yourself.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 07, 2022, 09:51:17 am »

Noo, they should not change anything about that. ;) I also heard their lower officers have no agency to make any decisions on their own. Great idea. Let every general check in person if soldiers on the front tied their shoelaces correctly. Actually, let Putin himself do that, to be absolutely sure. If you want a job done well, gotta do it yourself.

Of course, it is SO obvious now!

The only reason the war is taking so long is because The Great Putin is not leading his troops in person!

Paging Vladimir Putin to the front lines.  Your troops are waiting for you...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 08, 2022, 03:00:27 am »

So when do we get to the point in the war where the bear cavalry shows up?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 08, 2022, 04:03:35 pm »

Russia straight-up doesn't care if Wagner gets put on a no-quarter list. Don't have to pay dead men.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 09, 2022, 01:08:33 am »

Meanwhile in modern Russia: a screaming match on state TV as to whether captured British citizens Shaun Pinner and Aiden Aslin should be shot, hanged, quartered or exchanged for ransom (the release of Russia's frozen assets), as they hope to cause a rift in British society.

Hm, it all depends on how they were captured.
It would help to mention they were soldiers fighting the Russians.  The Russians claim they're mercenaries, the British claim they were part of the Ukrainian Army.

Prediction: They'll be killed.
Russia needs to dissuade Europe & America from sending volunteers more than protecting their cannon fodder mercenaries.

I don't know anything about Aiden Aslin.

As for Shaun Pinner, he is a resident of Ukraine. He is married to a Ukrainian woman, he officially served in the Ukrainian army for years, he was a member of a Ukrainian marine infantry unit that surrendered to Russian forces in Mariupol.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 09, 2022, 02:34:41 am »

They're being held by the Donetsk People's Republic.

If we want to be optimistic, those connections may mirror the connections of soldiers in the Donetsk People's Republic's Army.
That fact might be enough to avoid his execution.

More optimistically, both soldiers being British citizens means the Russians Overseers are likely to keep the soldiers alive.
Their political value ends if they're killed.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 167