Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 118588 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #885 on: August 21, 2022, 07:39:48 am »

Just a pity that the fascist Dugin didn't blow up with the car.

Who knows what is a bigger punishment? Seeing your daughter being killed and knowing that you are still a target is not a pleasant fate. He doesn't even know who it was. Is it some money stuff? Is it people who dislike his influence over Putin? Is it Putin himself for whatever reason? Ukrainians? Someone else?

Her death also made me think about free will, guilt, justice, and other stuff like that. Sure, she was a fascist who promoted genocide. But had she a chance to grow up and be anyone else being raised by this man?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 21, 2022, 07:48:35 am »

We are all shaped by circumstances beyond our control. Seldom stopped anybody from blaming other people's guts.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: August 21, 2022, 08:24:38 am »

Her death also made me think about free will, guilt, justice, and other stuff like that. Sure, she was a fascist who promoted genocide. But had she a chance to grow up and be anyone else being raised by this man?
Robert Zepolsky would say no.. but it's partly her nature, you can't attribute this 100% to nurture. She was actively spreading her dads propaganda. Not every child of a monster (even with such an upbringing as hers) does that.

Then again, I can't bring myself to be happy about a murder, however deserved.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: August 21, 2022, 08:29:56 am »

I saw it mooted that Dugin arranged it himself, seeing a rift in opinions edging open between him and his daughter (nobody said who was changing their mind) and making a tactical sacrifice to reinforce/cover his position and/or provide a fulcrum moment to justify some future move.

(The versions in my head where she was dissatisfied and the versions in my head where he is dissatisfied both seem to mesh pretty well into whether he's proving(/'proving') his loyalty or trying to spark up an escalation against... whoever.)

Though that's Conspiracy Theory at an epic level. Probably. Unless it isn't.  TBH, I'd more (than the above) expect it to be a move by Putin (or his 'people', under his guidance or otherwise) just going straight to the point of inflaming public opinion and scaring any waverers into line, or something like that.

'Random' targetted violence (either with a Ukrainean bent or just infighting within the elite coterie class of Russia) with pretty much no subtlety is probably the easiest to believe. But might still provoke escheresque twisting of the circumstances to fulfill some required angle of spin. Which means we'll probably never really know. Even (especially... given the nature of the Russian court system) if a perpetrator is found(/'found') and punished(/'punished') somehow.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: August 21, 2022, 08:45:53 am »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: August 21, 2022, 09:29:10 am »

Woo hoo! I won't shed a tear for her.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: August 21, 2022, 10:17:42 am »

I saw it mooted that Dugin arranged it himself, seeing a rift in opinions edging open between him and his daughter (nobody said who was changing their mind) and making a tactical sacrifice to reinforce/cover his position and/or provide a fulcrum moment to justify some future move.

Dunno who's behind the bombing, but my bet goes for some kind of infighting between neo-nazi/fascist groups. Wouldn't be the first time when they murder each other.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: August 21, 2022, 10:23:09 am »

Who's behind the death of the Ukrainian SBU officer, though? What is this, Frank Herbert's War of Assassins?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: August 21, 2022, 12:12:32 pm »

So, some previously unknown "National Republican Army" took the responsibility for the bombing. Apparently, they are Russians and they announce more acts of this nature against anyone loyal to Putin's regime.

Is it the beginning of the Russian Civil War? (And yes I know that those can be fake)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 12:20:25 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: August 21, 2022, 12:14:59 pm »

So, some previously unknown "National Republican Army" took the responsibility for the bombing. Apparently, they are Russians and they announce more acts of this nature against anyone loyal to Putin's regime.

Is it the beginning of the Russian Civil War?
Слава героям.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: August 21, 2022, 12:19:36 pm »

Or maybe it was actually the GRU, and its a false flag attack. The Dugins are noisy but ultimately low value targets in the hierarchy.

Possible purposes:
- pander war support by providing "martyrs"
- accuse internal dissenters of being in league with Ukraine and land them with belonging to a terrorist group now
- remove nominally pro-Putin characters who are stridently ultranationalist and could pivot to being antiPutin if/when Putin ends up losing the war in Ukraine and has to sue for peace.

Either way, regardless of whether its real internal opposition, external opposition, or fake Kremlin led opposition, what is very clear is that the Dugins reaped the consequences of what they sowed.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 12:22:32 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: August 21, 2022, 12:22:29 pm »

Or maybe it was actually the GRU, and its a false flag attack. The Dugins are noisy but ultimately low value targets in the hierarchy.

Possible purposes:
- pander war support by providing "martyrs"
- accuse internal dissenters of being in league with Ukraine and land them with belonging to a terrorist group now
- remove nominally pro-Putin characters who are stridently ultranationalist and could pivot to being antiPutin if/when Putin ends up losing the war in Ukraine and has to sue for peace.

Yes. Or they are some clowns that claim even unrelated to them. Or it is Ukrainian disinformation. But it is an interesting development nevertheless. 

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: August 21, 2022, 12:39:24 pm »

Even if they didn't do it and are just taking the credit for it, an anti-Putinist Russian group indicating their support for that by claiming ownership for it definitely seems like an interesting thing in terms of potential for a civil war there.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Putin uses it as an excuse to ramp up atrocities against Ukraine anyway even with a Russian group openly taking credit for it, because having to admit that your own citizens violently disagree with you is probably not good for a dictator's morale.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: August 21, 2022, 01:20:49 pm »

t
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Putin uses it as an excuse to ramp up atrocities against Ukraine anyway even with a Russian group openly taking credit for it, because having to admit that your own citizens violently disagree with you is probably not good for a dictator's morale.

Putin doesn't need any excuses to ramp up anything... I just got a lovely SMS describing new sounds of air raid sirens for chemical and radioactive threats...

We are fully expecting something very nasty during this week. They will try to "congratulate" us on our Independence day on 24th
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 167