Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 118570 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #1186 on: September 11, 2022, 09:04:22 pm »

What I don't understand is where is the Russian airforce. I was very confident that such large-scale offensives are unlikely because the Russian airforce will be deadly against an advancing force
Ukraine's got some pretty solid surface-to-air defences I believe, and Russia's hardly been competent during this. I suspect they're making shitty use of their air superiority.

I heard Germany's Gepards have been helping out a lot on this front, as well as the amazing hack that was developed to allow US anti-radiation HARM missiles to be used by UKR frames.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1568585600046858241?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1568585600046858241%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

"A Ukrainian military intelligence source says that the success of the offensive was contingent on American-supplied harm...missiles...It also relied on surface-to-air systems that threatened Russian aircraft: Ukrainian sources single out Germany’s Gepard"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 09:20:43 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: September 12, 2022, 03:43:42 am »

So it's that time again where I ask if any more Russian generals have died?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: September 12, 2022, 04:15:03 am »

So it's that time again where I ask if any more Russian generals have died?

Well, there are rumors that one was captured ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Sychevoi ) but no official confirmation yet
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: September 12, 2022, 05:15:20 pm »

Now seeing reports that the Ukrainian offensive in Kharkiv has been halted. By the Russian border.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: September 12, 2022, 05:40:03 pm »

If there was no threat of Russia deciding to blow up the world out of spite, I'd encourage the Ukrainians to keep pushing and seize a sizable chunk of Russia to call their own.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: September 12, 2022, 05:42:15 pm »

So they didn't counter-invade Russia? I suppose that's probably for the best, putin would probably launch the nukes. But means they're not taking the opportunity to destroy or capture any Russian military infrastructure, except to destroy it by aerial bombardment presumably.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: September 12, 2022, 05:56:07 pm »

Invading Russia would mean either a colossal drop in Russian perceptions of the war or backfire considerably. It also may not be practical as many Western weapons cannot follow soldiers over the Russian border.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: September 12, 2022, 07:25:51 pm »

We've already sent jets across the border to bomb munitions depots. The invading Russia line has quite literally been crossed and all the PR ramifications that brings. The only reason why we aren't doing it now I presume is due to western restrictions on the weapons they sent us.

Crimea should still be fair game though.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: September 12, 2022, 07:40:49 pm »

A ground invasion is very different from simple strikes. It is much harder to take somebody else's land than it is to reclaim your own for a lot of practical reasons. It also has severe risks of Victory Disease, and has extreme political and diplomatic risks. Ukraine doesn't gain much if anything by invading (taking out point targets in response to specific threats isn't in nearly the same class), and stands to potentially lose a lot.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: September 12, 2022, 08:47:37 pm »

I can only see them invading if Russia refuses peace after being chased out of Ukraine, really. Not to take any land (Aside from reclaiming Crimea which, regardless of personal opinions and legal rights, everyone can agree is de facto part of Russia right now) but to pressure them to sue.

EDIT: And the mysterious deaths of Putin's allies/important acquaintances continues. Now his director of arctic resource investigation.

Is Putin getting paranoid, or are these people actually moving against him and he's playing whack-a-mole?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 08:58:12 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: September 12, 2022, 08:57:55 pm »

(Ignore various ninjas. I was spending longer than I meant to editing this around...)

Hypotheticalai Russianovich Newsreaderov: "And the aggressive Ukrainean Nazis have, unprovoked, attacked right up to the original border and... stopped."

...with the added complications of what you do (and do not do) at the point you get to that border, across which are those willing (or under orders) to lob at you anything from stones to RPGs or even more[1], it does at least leave Moscow with far more truth-varnishing to do in order to spin it to their advantage.

That and it keeps the borderline[2] sympathisers in the international community from going sour on their support for the victimised nation, in whatever form that takes.

More trouble than it's worth.

Until it isn't. A really desparate Putin could always try to do something beyond the pale[3], but then the retaliation or trans-national involvement (or both!) that results is going to be far less hands-tied in nature as well.

[1] Which, to be honest, is a problem wherever you decide to stop. One of the problems with the pre-2022 'front line' in the 'disputed' territories.
[2] NPI!
[3] Also NPI, but of course also a very apt phrase...

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: September 12, 2022, 10:17:39 pm »

Common guys, no one is invading a country with nuclear weapons. At most, there will be some cross-border strikes against military and logistics related targets(but currently all of the Western aid comes with a condition of "don't shoot into Russian territory)

Now let us speak about the consequences of the recent Russian defeat. Azerbaijan is currently pounding military bases in Armenia, a member of the Russian military alliance. According to their treaty, Russia is obligated to help Armenia now. And They already called for Russian help... But I highly doubt that this help will come.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: September 12, 2022, 10:31:29 pm »

They're using the exact method I do in strategy games.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: September 13, 2022, 03:57:47 am »

They're using the exact method I do in strategy games.

The "Sneak a piece out of the BYZ while they're busy fighting the Seljuks" method?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 167