Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119093 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1290 on: September 22, 2022, 03:33:02 am »

You have nothing to lose but your chains, as the saying goes.

I get the feeling that at least some of the people at risk of being press-ganged into Putin's Small Penis Misadventure will decide the odds of surviving the Russian military and police are higher than the odds of surviving the Ukranian army.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: September 22, 2022, 04:13:05 am »

Sometime in spring, when Russia retreated from Kyiv and left a lot of their bodies on the ground Ukraine gathered those and offered to deliver them to Russia... Russia never agreed to accept them. So those bodies were kept in refrigerated wagons at a railway station in Kharkiv.

Until tonight... Tonight Russia destroyed those wagons with a precise cruise missile strike.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: September 22, 2022, 12:51:04 pm »

Until tonight... Tonight Russia destroyed those wagons with a precise cruise missile strike.

I feel like that shouldn't have surprised me, considering all we know of the Russian army and leadership, yet it still did.

I don't know how much more disgusted I can get.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: September 22, 2022, 02:34:14 pm »

I mean this as a serious question about an emotional topic...

How does Ukraine get their civilians out of Russia without threatening to invade?

Components of the problem....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What future would I like to see?

I made this post a week ago....

From my perspective, the problem rests on a fulcrum where:

So, "How does Ukraine get their civilians out of Russia without threatening to invade?"
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 03:42:29 pm by anewaname »
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: September 22, 2022, 02:51:23 pm »

I lied at the recruitment center about having even worse vision than I do (by saying I didn't see a letter that I saw clear as day) and got "Category D". I won't get conscripted even if there is a full mobilization. Proud of what I did.

If needed (e.g there is a civil war), I can flee through the Kazakh border and figure out what to do next from there.
In the event of a civil war, I'm pretty sure that opens you up to being a refugee. You could cross a pretty good number of borders (i.e. the ones with unguarded bits) in that case if you don't mind spending a good bit of time being processed.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: September 22, 2022, 03:20:47 pm »

I've been hearing (radio, no easy links) that:
A) People have been served mobilisation papers who are not even in the stated mobilisation cohort,
B) There are semi-reliable mutterings that the 'limited mobilisation' proclamation has a publically-unreleased clause that actually allows up to a million such call-ups.

Meanwhile, large queues of vehicles trying to get to Georgia (one of the no-visa destinations), high volumes once again to Finland (visa required), certain destinations of airline tickets completely sold out (after skyrocketting in price) and variable reactions by the gamut of potential destination countries (from "yeah, you can come... with security checks of course" to just plain refusing all Russians entry).

So I pass on my hopes to those who may be directly affected, and of course if even a percentage point or two of these new-bods end up any good (and motivated, however that may be) in their assigned roles then I'm concerned for those who have to deal with their introduction upon the field of conflict (as well as what they have to do against those serving purely as cannon-fodder).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: September 22, 2022, 08:22:26 pm »

There's an official statement out from the North Korean Ministry of Defense that boils down to "We have never exported weapons or ammunition to Russia, and that is not changing", calling it a US smear campaign.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1297 on: September 22, 2022, 09:33:03 pm »

Possible translations include:
* We have a deal but don't wanna say it.
* We had a deal, but China said no.
* We were negotiating a deal but it fell through.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: September 23, 2022, 04:44:45 am »

* truth is overrated, but we never miss the chance to call the US names

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: September 23, 2022, 06:59:57 am »

But it is rather cute that the accusation of selling shells to Russia is "smearing" even for North Korea.

Iran also denied supplying UAVs to Russia but now those are everywhere... Iranian drones seem to be much, much more dangerous than Russian ever were.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: September 23, 2022, 09:47:25 am »

Iran also denied supplying UAVs to Russia but now those are everywhere... Iranian drones seem to be much, much more dangerous than Russian ever were.

Wait really? For this war? That's awful.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: September 23, 2022, 11:23:35 am »

Wait really? For this war? That's awful.

Yep. Today a whole bunch of Shahed* loitering munition stroke Odesa. They are also common on the frontlines. Russia got hundreds if not thousands of Iranian drones.

*what Muslim will name a soulless piece of metal and plastic a shaheed? I am an anti-theist but even for me it sounds hypocritical and I think it is insulting to the majority of Muslims

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: September 23, 2022, 11:55:03 am »

Ukraine has been successfully shooting the things down - there's video. That doesn't mean they're not a dangerous weapon, but they are not un-counterable. They're also single use, which will make them vulnerable to the same bottlenecks that were introduced into Russia's artillery ammunition supply.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: September 23, 2022, 02:44:07 pm »

The fact that Russia seems to have any allies in this war is what worries me. I guess that's karma for the western sanctions on Iran from way back when.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: September 23, 2022, 02:54:29 pm »

"The Great Satan's enemy is my friend ...though obviously they are all infidels, including every one of our neighbours..."
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 167