Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 118563 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1305 on: September 23, 2022, 03:54:48 pm »

I...

I want to laugh. I want to laugh until I cry!

I feel so done. It just all keeps getting more absurd by the day.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: September 23, 2022, 07:46:56 pm »

The fact that Russia seems to have any allies in this war is what worries me. I guess that's karma for the western sanctions on Iran from way back when.

Well, perhaps Iran will be free soon and stop being a Russian ally. Recent events give me hope.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: September 23, 2022, 09:50:18 pm »

I pray for civil war erupting in Russia over the mobilisation. So far, it looks like the mobilisation is mostly limited to ethnic minorities. Possibly because the Kremlin know that if they are going to draft ethnic Russians, all revolution hell will rain down upon them.

I also pray my non-theistic prayers for Putin and his cronies to be assassinated and / or otherwise taken out of the equation.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 09:51:54 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: September 23, 2022, 10:03:08 pm »

I pray for civil war erupting in Russia over the mobilisation. So far, it looks like the mobilisation is mostly limited to ethnic minorities. Possibly because the Kremlin know that if they are going to draft ethnic Russians, all revolution hell will rain down upon them.

I also pray my non-theistic prayers for Putin and his cronies to be assassinated and / or otherwise taken out of the equation.

I am afraid we won't see a civil war of this kind. 

I am actually curious if Putin will announce "As you know, after evil Western sanctions we face an economical crisis. For the good of Russia, I decided to execute 10M of the least useful Russians. Ones who are chosen will be informed via an SMS. Please come to extermination centers ASAP", will it result in some kind of resistance or not?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: September 23, 2022, 10:09:02 pm »

Almost definitely. We are apathetic, but not that apathetic.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: September 23, 2022, 10:28:11 pm »

I am afraid we won't see a civil war of this kind. 

I am actually curious if Putin will announce "As you know, after evil Western sanctions we face an economical crisis. For the good of Russia, I decided to execute 10M of the least useful Russians. Ones who are chosen will be informed via an SMS. Please come to extermination centers ASAP", will it result in some kind of resistance or not?
Almost definitely. We are apathetic, but not that apathetic.

The parallel that Strongpoint is saying is that Conscription centers are basically the same as Extermination centers, yet no uprising is likely. Or is it?  :-\

The fact that Russia seems to have any allies in this war is what worries me. I guess that's karma for the western sanctions on Iran from way back when.

Well, perhaps Iran will be free soon and stop being a Russian ally. Recent events give me hope.
I think you both are mistaking "ally" for "person who will sell substandard goods at an extreme markup, AKA Price Gouger". Russia has no allies, just people willing to bank on earning a profit off the War.  Eventually, the ability of Russia to trade for resources will collapse, then Russia is doomed.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: September 23, 2022, 10:30:50 pm »

They might be objectively similar, but to people they are not. And honestly, unrest is mounting again even against conscription.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: September 23, 2022, 10:50:07 pm »

They might be objectively similar, but to people they are not. And honestly, unrest is mounting again even against conscription.
Quite true. I was more pointing out a possible interpretation.
These are Interesting Times. - Ancient Chinese Curse

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1313 on: September 24, 2022, 08:20:00 am »

It wouldn't be a surprise if forces made up of majority conscription troops quickly or immediately surrender to Ukrainians at first oppurtunity. Conscription always gives you the out of just booking it first chance you get, extermination does not.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: September 24, 2022, 12:46:07 pm »

комисса́ры?

(Do they still exist? Or will do again?)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: September 24, 2022, 01:22:47 pm »

Going to use a historical comparison here.

In 1917, the United States declared war on the German Empire. The US military of the time was very small, and fighting in the Great War required a massive army. So they brought in a huge number of guys, gave them a proper level of training, and sent them to the front in huge numbers with excellent supply, facing an enemy that was already ground down near the breaking point by three years of brutal war. And the troops of the American Expeditionary Force fought less well than British and French units half their actual size, purely because they were raw troops.

In other words, even in the absolute best case scenario, trying to jam large numbers of fresh bodies into a war does not work well. And Russia's forces are not in a best-case scenario. They're undersupplied, increasingly poorly equipped, and badly led. Even worse, they're not facing an enemy that is ground to dust and on their last legs - the Ukranian forces are flush with victory, full of wrath at what has been done to them, and grow stronger by the day. If Russia manages to get large numbers of extra troops via this mobilization, they're either going to surrender en masse or simply be shot in great carload lots.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: September 24, 2022, 01:50:33 pm »

Given that Russia is cut off from the benefits of globalism, and that the mobilization is removing the young and strong from the already faltering economy, aren't the Russians in danger of mass starvation?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: September 24, 2022, 04:56:51 pm »

Votes at the U.N. allowed Zelensky to address the U.N. with video (normal rules require you to be there in person). From this Associated Press article
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-----
Apparently the Russian conscription is just like every other conscription... use the expendables and un-desirables as a meat-shield. From a Jerusalem Post article, "the Russian Federation seems to be disproportionately targeting rural communities and ethnic minorities far from Moscow, as well as protesters demonstrating against the mobilization."
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #1318 on: September 24, 2022, 05:07:52 pm »

Given that Russia is cut off from the benefits of globalism, and that the mobilization is removing the young and strong from the already faltering economy, aren't the Russians in danger of mass starvation?

If (and when) the war finally ends, the next leader of Russia (or Putin, by some bizarre margin of him being still in power) will have to solicit the wider part of the world to lift sanctions to save itself; if not, it'll have to rely on its "allies", but that will go only so far if Russia outright admits defeat or basically informally does so.

China will be one of the firsts to diverge away from Russia in a large way. As of late, the relationship between Russia and China has been one of China increasingly being the "dominant" one, while Russia became more of a lackey (instead of them being peers as they were years ago). Now that dynamic will exacerbate after Russia's fiasco in Ukraine. China will also be pissed at Russia for losing so badly, because all it did was strengthen NATO's resolve and combat readiness for any future conflict (i.e Taiwan).

Iran and Russia are average allies at best. They help each other because they have the common interest of "beating back the West" (also, let's not forget they both had differing reasons for keeping Bashar al-Assad in power during the height of the Syrian Civil War). Iran has been reported with supplying Russia with drones this week, so it obviously wants Russia to come out on top here. Iran, like Russia, will be eventually subsumed in China's sphere of influence due to no other options.

Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan see Russia's wavering military power and take that as a cue to begin fighting each other, despite both being in CSTO. Not only that, even with Armenia being directly attacked by Azerbaijan, Russia is lukewarm to do anything substantial to do anything against Azerbaijan; which makes sense, considering all its current concentration in Ukraine right now; though even before the initiation of the Special Military Operation, Russia only ever did the bare minimum in supporting Armenia.

Russia skirted a line between supporting both Armenia and Azerbaijan, while deferring more support to Azerbaijan... which was a stupid move, as Azerbaijan has repeatedly displayed it takes advantages of Russia's bizarre overtures toward it, sometimes covertly or outright overtly doing actions that supports the West. Especially now, with Azerbaijan acting as an alternative energy supplier while Russia tried to cut Europe off to gain more leverage.

Due to Russia being so flaky in aiding Armenia in general, it's pivoting alignment toward the West (as it was doing before, but at a more accelerated pace).

I won't be surprised if CSTO outright collapses after this.

India, besides Russia, has no real "major ally" and with it being so clingy with Russia despite its ever coming downfall, it's losing a lot of so-called "goodwill" with the West. India's clinginess to Russia makes sense, given how many times when it was the USSR that it helped India in multiple conflicts. India also is trending toward an illiberal quasi-totalitarian streak, which makes it have a much closer outlook with Russia than any of the Western states.

Russia also is a major weapons supplier to India... which is pretty bad from what're seeing and the general performance of the Russian armed forces in general. India has always tried to sway Russia in its orbit in a case where a conflict between India-and-China goes hot.. but that notion has always been stupid, as Russia depends more on China both militarily and economically than India could ever provide.

India should have dropped Russia sooner as their military incompetence became more evident, just as fast Russia would have probably dropped India if it ever got into another major conflict with China. Now its anchored itself to a sinking ship, all the while alienating itself from West even further.

Kazakhstan is what I see being a major detractor from Russia lately. With Russia's day-by-day depleting military prowess, prestige, and general loss of power projection, Kazakhstan will (and currently is) become more distant. Even if Russia tried to reinforce some of its soft-power and MAYBE imply the Russian populations that live in the northern part of Kazakhstan need some "liberation" or their rights are being "infringed upon", China has given security guarantees to Kazakhstan now. Any plans Russia might've had for Central Asia in the future have been decimated by China upseating its sphere of influence.

Russia's overall demographics have been REALLY bad since World War II, with their being an average of more females-to-males due to the tremendous loss of manpower to defeat Nazi Germany. Coupled with Russia's low life expectancy rate for males, highest rate of alcoholism, poor economic power beyond selling natural resources such as gas or oil.. Russia WILL face a major catastrophe of epic proportions from Putin's misguided gamble to wage a full-on attack on Ukraine.

I feel like their will be a mass migration of young and middle-aged people (like what's happening now with the announcement of "semi-mobilization") from Russia; a mass migration similar to what we saw with the Syrian civil war, but on a more devastating scale. This will be interesting to witness, considering the very negative sentiments Europeans have to Russians now.

The poor who will remain because they cannot afford to leave, will have the burden of trying to look after and care for the remaining elderly demographic of Russia. It will be a nightmare.

Don't be surprised if the whole "mail-order bride from Russia" stereotype becomes strengthened, as the monstrous ratio of women-to-men in Russia will be heightened by the future losses of the failed mobilization, along with the women in general wanting to flee the basically vanquished economy of Russia.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: September 24, 2022, 10:03:17 pm »

комисса́ры?

(Do they still exist? Or will do again?)
Surprisingly, no(t yet).
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 167