Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119068 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1560 on: October 18, 2022, 05:16:02 am »

It could have been the Ukrainian terrorist that was somehow hiding inside the jet that caused it to crash in the first place.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: October 18, 2022, 10:03:34 am »

Oct 18 (Reuters) - Iran has promised to provide Russia with surface to surface missiles, in addition to more drones, two senior Iranian officials and two Iranian diplomats told Reuters...

..."They (Russians) wanted to buy hundreds of our missiles, even mid-range ones, but we told them that we can ship soon a few hundred of their demanded Zolfaghar and Fateh 110 short-range, surface to surface missiles," said one of the security officials.

300 and 700 km range... neat...

Russia will never have any meaningful dissent, it won't run out of cannon fodder anytime soon and even if Ukraine will be able to push them back on land, they will keep lobbing stuff across our border like a huge HAMAS on steroids.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: October 18, 2022, 10:13:04 am »

The Iranian missiles in question probably are worse than what Russia's already been throwing at Ukraine, and it is very questionable if Iran can actually deliver the quantities they're asking for. Iran is still laboring under heavy sanctions, and there's a major difference in scale between what Iran's been building missiles for until now (their own defense needs, and providing the occasional few dozen to allies) and the hundreds or thousands Russia would need to make a difference.

What's being somewhat overlooked here is what it means that Russia is even trying to procure from this source - they'd only be doing it if the recent statement from the Ukrainian Ministry Of Defense is correct and they're nearly out of missiles.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: October 18, 2022, 10:27:44 am »

Of course, they are worse. And Russian stocks are indeed going down. Still, they are capable of both producing and procuring more and more of stuff that can hit cities and kill people. As I said, HAMAS on steroids. Also, It is not like Iran is the only probable source, there are a few more who won't mind earning some $ (or get Russian assistance for making stuff like ICBMa or their own nukes)

This crap will go on for years. Russian Economy is doing absolutely fine (they lost what? -3% GDP?. Ha! What a hit!), the population is docile, ideology is as pro-war as possible.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: October 18, 2022, 12:13:43 pm »

Yeah, Russia will be able to continue a border war for years with what they can produce internally. And they can do it because they have nukes. And the "peasant" population will never have the concentrated power to rise up against the ruling class. North Korea and South Korea are in a similar situation.

That "Russian economy" only represents the cash value of international buying and selling, not the quality level of the goods traded. Russia is receiving less of the higher-tech components which they cannot produce internally. There have been Western military-grade-technology sanctions on Russia since Crimea was invaded and Russia has used shell companies to avoid the sanctions for a while (google "Extreme Networks russia sanctions" as an example).

The majority of the Russian population is not involved in that international-trade economy and will be paid with just enough "consumer goods" to survive (meaning, they are economic slaves and unable to break themselves or their families out of the situation they are in, and will be used as fodder for the economic and military engine by the "ruling class"). That includes the maybe-3-million Ukrainian refugees who were re-directed into Russia.

About that pro-war sentiment in Russia... Most of it exists because people are afraid to be anything besides a patriot. If you were a Russian with kids, and your loved brother/sister lived in Ukraine, you would still say "Ukrainians are Nazi's" to protect your kids.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: October 18, 2022, 02:08:24 pm »

you would still say "Ukrainians are Nazi's"
Grammar Communist! You're putting apostrophes to work in totally inapproriate places!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: October 19, 2022, 12:38:33 am »

Yeah as much as I am hoping for a revolution... while there is more dissent than Strongpoint makes it sound like (source: experience), it's very slowly growing if at all and I don't expect there to be one any time soon unles the government REALLY fucks up.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1567 on: October 19, 2022, 06:13:21 am »

Revolutions never happen until they do

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: October 19, 2022, 06:49:51 am »

The problem with revolutions is they rarely make things better because the ruthless bastards who run the revolution tend to be the same ruthless bastards who won't step down when it's over.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1569 on: October 19, 2022, 07:42:16 am »

The problem with revolutions is they rarely make things better because the ruthless bastards who run the revolution tend to be the same ruthless bastards who won't step down when it's over.
The green revolution was good. We uh... Grew turnips better

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: October 19, 2022, 08:45:20 am »

House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy said Republicans are prepared to pull back on US aid to Ukraine next year if they gain control of the House, reflecting a growing sentiment in the party for the country to be less involved overseas.

Oh... Excited sarcastic WONDERFULl!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: October 19, 2022, 08:58:47 am »

Whaaaaaaaaaat, the Reps are wanting to help Russia pull back from interfering overseas?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1572 on: October 19, 2022, 08:59:11 am »

House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy said Republicans are prepared to pull back on US aid to Ukraine next year if they gain control of the House, reflecting a growing sentiment in the party for the country to be less involved overseas.

Still gonna bomb Yemen though

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: October 19, 2022, 11:01:39 am »

And I accept this.

Classic conservatoids.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: October 19, 2022, 12:12:12 pm »

Classic conservatoids.

I prefer the term "cuckservatives", but yours is nice too.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 167