Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119103 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1650 on: November 15, 2022, 04:15:24 pm »

Remember, the fun part is there is no good answer to this. Either we risk WWIII teaching Putin that actions sometimes do have consequences, or he learns that "accidentally blowing up NATO territory" is perfectly okay to do.

Even if this is a Russian missile (there's some indication that it may have been a Ukrainian SAM (which will likely be ignored, defensive missiles causing damage is an entirely different beast from offensive ones), or a Russian missile that got shot down by Ukraine (which reduces the pressure because Russia can't control where it will go after that)), escalating to direct NATO intervention is not required. The strongest response would be a tit-for-tat escalation in the sort of munitions provided, along with strengthening Polish air defenses along the border.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: November 15, 2022, 05:25:11 pm »

Sounds like Poland is declaring NATO Article 4, for now.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: November 15, 2022, 06:10:41 pm »

This would be the second time Article 4 has been declared in this war. Article 4 is the "have a big meeting to determine what NATO policy is" clause, previously invoked right after the invasion to coordinate aid.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: November 15, 2022, 06:41:52 pm »

Looks like it's Blank Check time for Poland!

...stupid Russians.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: November 15, 2022, 06:59:36 pm »

Even if this is a Russian missile
Yeah. Polish government has been asking for restraint in reporting until more is known. The one thing that is certain is that there was an explosion at an agricultural facility, and two people have died. For all we know at this moment, it could even have been unrelated to the Russian barrage.
And in any case, at worst (for Russia), this would be in the category of the downing of the MH17 flight - not article 5.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: November 15, 2022, 07:32:18 pm »

Even if this is a Russian missile
Yeah. Polish government has been asking for restraint in reporting until more is known. The one thing that is certain is that there was an explosion at an agricultural facility, and two people have died. For all we know at this moment, it could even have been unrelated to the Russian barrage.
And in any case, at worst (for Russia), this would be in the category of the downing of the MH17 flight - not article 5.

We know for sure that there was a missile strike - wreckage has been photographed - and there's only two countries throwing missiles around. There's a good chance that the response will be much stronger than MH17 because everybody's sick of Russia's shit, but it will not be war.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: November 15, 2022, 07:45:59 pm »

wreckage has been photographed
Give us a link.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: November 15, 2022, 08:26:14 pm »

wreckage has been photographed
Give us a link.

I'm sure I saw a photo of the (accused) Russian missile wreckage on this page, but it isn't there now (only of the impact crater, which seems corroborative to it being a missile hit).  Still trying to get used to the site (doesn't have a "deny all" on its Cookies page!) after uninstalling their 'improved' App for now being godawfully unusable, so maybe it was somewhere else (front page image when I first looked, since replaced), but only a little hunting might find it, if you can bear the over-interactive nature of the typical commercial website.

(Had a glance at the BBC, news site, but the agency photo is not obviously copied onto there, yet. Still, at least not the same kind of resource-hog/advertising-pusher..)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: November 15, 2022, 08:57:52 pm »

On this page if you search “s-300” it’ll get to the part where there’s a picture.

You may have to go to page 2 ‘cause it was right at the bottom of page 1 when I just checked.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That’s the image, basically in a section when three experts think it’s an s-300 missile, so it could have come from either side (it’s a surface-to-air missile that Ukraine uses to shoot down cruise missiles, while Russia apparently uses it for ground strikes) until they figure out more.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: November 15, 2022, 09:00:24 pm »

UA Weapons Tracker (a very reliable source) has the photos.
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1592629251161075712

They're suggesting that the wreckage is probably a SAM from a S-300 missile system, but Russia has been using those in the secondary land attack role.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: November 15, 2022, 10:18:29 pm »

UA Weapons Tracker (a very reliable source) has the photos.
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1592629251161075712

They're suggesting that the wreckage is probably a SAM from a S-300 missile system, but Russia has been using those in the secondary land attack role.

Note that the S-300 has a max range of ~150km (~93 miles). So *if* it was an S-300 (which is not confirmed) we know it was absolutely not fired from russia or the eastern half of ukraine that russia is occupying. It had to have been fired from western ukraine (west of kyiv) or western belarus.

Meanwhile, the ukrainian city of lviv was hit with russian missiles today and an S-300 fired from that area is well within range to have hit poland. So if it was an S-300, and once again I want to be clear that's absolutely unconfirmed, then it seems quite likely to me it was a ukrainian missile deployed against incoming russian missiles that missed and ended up landing in poland.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: November 15, 2022, 11:33:46 pm »

So correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen that:

Kyiv/Coordinates 50.4501° N, 30.5234°E

Lviv/Coordinates 49.842957 ° N, 24.031111° E

Poland target 50.4501° N 24.031111° E

So... Yeah.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: November 16, 2022, 12:20:56 am »

Kyiv/Coordinates 50.4501° N, 30.5234°E

Lviv/Coordinates 49.842957 ° N, 24.031111° E

Poland target 50.4501° N 24.031111° E

So... Yeah.

Bruh.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: November 16, 2022, 12:41:53 am »

You're off by about seven kilometres. I.e. that's not the location.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: November 16, 2022, 01:17:34 am »

Kyiv and Lviv are several kilometers wide. I've heard that the specific precise longitudes and latitudes align to airstrips in Kyiv and Lviv.

Ok, Wikipedia precise coordinates for Poland strike: 50°28'28.0"N 23°55'39.0"E

Kyiv airstrip: 50°28'28.0"N 30°23'21.0"E (check Google Earth)

Lviv, possibly not airstrip but rail station of some sort: 49°48'52.0"N 23°55'39.0"E
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 01:59:11 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 167