Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119160 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1950 on: January 31, 2023, 07:01:20 pm »

The mystery I find strange is why they did not simply ship their ally the old leader of Ukraine (Yanukavitch) into Donbass or Crimea and have him create a loyalist government there, sparking a civil war within Ukraine in which the Russians could decisively intervene on the side of their ally.  The reason for this is Crimea, if they *had* done it swiftly it enough to create a civil war then it would have become impossible to annex Crimea later on because Crimea would have ended up remaining as a minion of Yanukavitch rather than Putin. 

This is why I say they traded Ukraine for Crimea.

Nobody liked Yanukovich and he fled Ukraine on two occasions, not one.  He had no credibility as any kind of leader with anyone.  Russia were using him because they had nobody else, with the few chosen people from the Donbas proving too independent minded for them, prompting their assassination by Russia at a later date.

Basically he's a total coward, which appeals to Russia, but said total cowardice made it impossible for him to be credible or effective.  Anyone who actually wanted to fight against Ukraine would have been able to create a powerbase outside of total Russian control, which made them unacceptable and eventually got them murdered.

Ukraine does not control Donbass at this point.  The government of Ukraine has been overthrown and the Donbass has not accepted the rule of the new government.  Since Ukrainian rule over the Donbass is fictional, so is any invasion of Ukraine by Russian forces.  Russian forces never entered any territory actually controlled by the (new) Ukrainian government, so the idea that there was a Russian invasion of Ukraine is wrong.

Yeah, no.  Russia had attacked territory well beyond the Feb 24th lines, and had suffered significant reversals on the battlefield at various occasions.  They also sent thrusts well into territory they never held, including around several key cities in ways reminiscent to various thrusts in 2022.  The fighting was serious and back-and-forth.  This is just nonsense.

The presence of said volunteer troops was never a secret and still is not a secret, except in Western propoganda about 'little green men'.  What is not known is the exact contribution of said troops vs weapons, but what is clear enough is that without Russian aid the Donbass regimes would have been swiftly crushed by the Ukrainian army.  The Russians did not invade Donbass, they saved the Donbass from being conquered by Ukraine and not at all that successfully.  Legally speaking what matters is the command structure a soldier is part of, not his birthplace so it is actually irrelavant if 100% of the Donbass fighting forces were born in Russia.

There's something going on here that I've seen before.  I think I'll call it the "Bad Faith Trifecta."  It's a hallmark of pro-Russian advocacy around the internet.

First, you tell a lie.  The lie right here is at the beginning.  Russia spent eight years stating it didn't use Russian forces invading the Donbas and Crimea.  Eight years of denying it constantly, in general and in specifics.

Second, you blame the victim.  "It's the West's fault they believed our invasion to be an invasion!  Not that our soldiers seized key areas with non-uniformed forces and launched a large conventional invasion to follow that up."  Always say it happened because of something done by someone else, not the person(s) who actually made the decision to invade.

The third is to change the subject.  You don't care about the legal basis of military command, and neither does Russia, but it's a much better topic to talk about rather than who did what.  It also admits, quite frankly, that the invasion of 2014 was an invasion done by Russian forces.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: January 31, 2023, 07:42:50 pm »

Ukraine does not control Donbass at this point.  The government of Ukraine has been overthrown and the Donbass has not accepted the rule of the new government.  Since Ukrainian rule over the Donbass is fictional, so is any invasion of Ukraine by Russian forces.  Russian forces never entered any territory actually controlled by the (new) Ukrainian government, so the idea that there was a Russian invasion of Ukraine is wrong.   

What the Russians did is move some mixture of weapons and volunteer troops to support the regime that rules in Donbass.  That regime is *not* being invaded by Russians, it is being invaded by Ukrainians from a rebel government whose authority they never recognised.  Same thing happened in Crimea, but there they managed to become Russian quicker than the Ukrainians could organise an invasion so fighting was avoided. 
1. Support separatism in your neighbour's territory for totally suffragist and not at all expansionist reasons
2. Unilaterally recognise the separatists - this makes it no longer your neighbour's territory through the magic of I said so
3. Send own troops to prop up the separatists BUT THEY AREN'T OUR TROOPS YOU SEE BECAUSE COMMAND IS LOCAL* (*subject to terms and conditions; comrade may not be liable for the command not actually being local)
4. Annex the separatists who were totally never your agents in the first place
5. WHY ATTACKINK COMRADE, NEIGHBOUR? COMRADE ONLY EVER DEFENDINK THROUGH CLEVER USE OF PLAUSIBLISH DENIABILITY.

It's the same old playbook. Yesterday, Georgia. Today, Ukraine. Tomorrow, Moldova. Oh, shit, wait. There's a snafu in step two.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: January 31, 2023, 10:59:56 pm »

lol. lmao. Another.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: January 31, 2023, 11:11:17 pm »

The NATO Bucharest Summit, 2008.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In that summit conclusion, NATO stated "NATO welcomes Ukraine's and Georgia's Euro Atlantic aspirations for membership in NATO. We agreed today that these countries will become members of NATO."

Ask yourself what strategic interest the USA had in Ukraine that would want them in the position to risk an Article 5 event in Ukraine... That is a non-rhetoric question, you have any answers?

NATO took the missiles out of Turkey to get the USSR missiles out of Cuba. And now in 2008 they want to position NATO in Ukraine... what changed? Did Ukraine gain some strategic importance? These are also non-rhetoric questions.

Back in 1981, Reagan imposed sanctions to prevent construction of the USSR's pipeline to bring gas to Europe. Reagan failed and in 2008 the EU was dependent on Russian fuels coming through multiple pipelines, and now the US wanted Ukraine in NATO... Again, the non-rhetoric, "why?".

The US wanted to break the fuel monopoly of Russia over the EU, by using western technology to access the Ukrainian reserves. It doesn't matter how much more reserves Russia has, when Ukraine has more than enough to replace Russia's output to the EU until we either overheat or we improve greenhouse emissions.

There would be three results from this... The Russian control over EU would be broken, Russia global influence would suffer from reduced profits, and some western oilgarchs would create a new class of Ukrainian oilgarchs while making themselves wealthy. That would be some portion of over $140 billion USD per year going towards Ukraine... maybe they produce half the product and sell it for only $50 billion and Russia loses $70 billion in sales. You don't think that was on George W. Bush's agenda in 2008? He and Cheney were in Halliburton, and that business group profited over Iraq in 2003. Don't ever underestimate the willingness of political groups to put their military in danger over profits... they would risk an Article 5 in Ukraine for that money and Germany would have a tough time refusing a price drop.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 11:13:53 pm by anewaname »
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: February 01, 2023, 03:28:26 am »

What's with the sudden influx of Pro-Russia people?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: February 01, 2023, 04:56:44 am »

Either a coincidence or the most lowkey and boring raid ever. Kinda sad that even people in the West drank that Kool-Aid.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: February 01, 2023, 05:02:24 am »

I can't speak for the rest of "the west", but if there's anything we americans are good at it's falling for misinformation!
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: February 01, 2023, 05:15:20 am »

Activisation of Russian propaganda. I see it everywhere. And no, I am not implying that we have paid trolls on bay12 (far too small of a forum for this to be likely) but there are people influenced by those trolls and other Russian propaganda assets (like Fox News... and I am not sure it counts as a joke)

Russia desperately wants to freeze the conflict for some time, to secure the gains and prepare for the next war. It can't be done without making the Western public unwilling to support Ukraine
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: February 01, 2023, 06:40:26 am »

I am saddened to see it all around me here in the Netherlands as well. A lot more people than I'd like seem to be mindwashed by second hand or third hand Russian desinformation. There's a large overlap, the people who were most strongly protesting corona lockdowns and vaccinations now are in the pro-Russia camp.
Plus there's the alt-right anti-EU movements that all too happily jump on the bandwagon, as long as it makes the EU look bad. (1)

I am most saddened by the fact that it's not just low education folks either. All too often I find myself flabberghasted to hear people of decent scientific background spout horsehit that in my line of education would classify as persistent delusion, possibly case of psychosis.

(1) it's ironic. Putin accuses Ukraine and the West of being nazis. While in fact, the handful of nazis that we have, are Putin's strongest supporters.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 06:43:00 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: February 01, 2023, 07:19:28 am »

In that summit conclusion, NATO stated "NATO welcomes Ukraine's and Georgia's Euro Atlantic aspirations for membership in NATO. We agreed today that these countries will become members of NATO."

First one shouldn't take public statements at face value. EU welcomed Turkeys aspirations for membership 3 decades ago and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.. There are a lot of poor east European countries that want to join EU but at this stage it doesn't seem that EU is particular interested in such enlargement (which would necessitate huge resources investment, at time when there are growing talks of disparity within the union) instead they are much more interested in countries taking the path and improving cooperation

This rather standard practice (Russia was trying todo the same with its own economic union, give and take a handful of coercion, as no one was rushing to re-joining Russian led anything) and reflects the liberal hypothesis that engagement and eventually trade/military ties facilitate interdependence which lowers the likelihood of war by increasing the cost of aggression, some people even argued that the era of major power wars is over an idea which certainly haven't aged well. It certainly helped that Germany was deeply interested in cheap resources from Russia for its booming industry, indeed up to the lead to the war Germany was firmly in the pacifist appeasement camp in a historic reversal of roles. Btw for a while Russia was even considered for membership in NATO but that didn't metalize, reportedly Russia wasn't interested in becoming an equal partner but have exclusive rights which align with its regional ambitions, and eventually Russia (much like Turkey) seeing USA become bogged down in middle east and opportunities in the east rise decided to become more assertive in promoting their interest regionally and seeking to create a multipolar world.

Also one should not forget the locals interests and aspirations as well (personally, I believe that Georgia president was a bit too assertive and brash but overall) on foreign policy aspect both Georgia and Ukraine was trying to playing both sides, on one hand appeasing Russia, the major power on their borders on which they heavily depend on the other hand trying to diversify and improve its economy.

One can see declaration about NATO yes yet another attempt to sweeten the deal or deter Russia coercion. Certainly, from NATO perspective, aspirations for membership, is not membership and doesn't risk any war, evidently Ukraine aspirations was virtually declarative and it is not until Putin aggression against Ukraine that we started to see substantial increased in commitment effetely turning Putin narrative about NATO on our doorsteps into a self fulfilling prophesy, culminating with the Putin's war which managed to give the mess the EU and the so called brained dead NATO unity of purpose.

Ask yourself what strategic interest the USA had in Ukraine that would want them in the position to risk an Article 5 event in Ukraine... That is a non-rhetoric question, you have any answers?
The US wanted to break the fuel monopoly of Russia over the EU, by using western technology to access the Ukrainian reserves. It doesn't matter how much more reserves Russia has, when Ukraine has more than enough to replace Russia's output to the EU until we either overheat or we improve greenhouse emissions.

Yes, EU was dependent on Russian energy imports, at the time oil prices reach peak and EU to publicly adopt an energy diversification goal, smart policy unfortunately they didn't pushed it hard enough.

Keep in mind, Ukraine oil reserves are insignificant, roughly a years worth for EU consumption**. Meanwhile, Turkmenistan have roughly 200 times that, and in 2007 there were talks about pipeline bypassing Russia going through Georgia into EU. Russia would certainly stand to loose much, both economically from transport fees and a competitor, but also political loosing its leverage over Europe and maybe more importantly central Asia, in other places that qualify as vital national security interest. So by your reasoning, why did Putin risked escalation in this strategic region, actually starting a war with Georgia?

Your suggestion that NATO was risking a war is unlikely. As noted aspirations for membership, is not membership article 5 was not at play. Furthermore NATO was bogged down in the middle east, there was an economic down turn, and anti war sentiments were everywhere, I don't see impotent EU contemplating any wars at that stage, and interestingly Russia lunched its war in the prelude to USA elections where Obama was closing to winning over Bush expansion of troop commitments. -- Sound a bit familiar no?

** You may be referring to more recently found gas reserves, but if you like correlation similarly you might ask why did Putin choose to fight over Ukraine economic association with EU at time that those gas agreements were fleshed out. Or why Russia possession in Ukraine firmly place much if Ukraine offshore and inlinand wealth in Russian hands.  Anyway, keep in mind that while energy resources are important, there are other resources EU have been heavily dependent on Russia making any conflict with Russia heavily disruptive to EU.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 11:57:33 am by jipehog »

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: February 01, 2023, 07:32:51 am »

(1) it's ironic. Putin accuses Ukraine and the West of being nazis. While in fact, the handful of nazis that we have, are Putin's strongest supporters.

Similar here in Germany. The very much right-wing "AFD" party is one of Putins strongest supporters, and in the opinion of many they are only thinly veiled nazis. Lots of party members are known supporters of nazi activities. One prominent member sued for slander when he was called a fascist, and lost, because the court established that he is, in fact, a fascist. They all see Putin as their saviour.

However, there are many Putin supporters in the very left-wing "Die Linke" party as well.

And overall there is a very large correlation of Putin supporters, conspiracy theorists, practitioners of so called alternative medicine, antisemites and even the so called Reichsbürger, who follow the delusion that the German state is an illegal fiction and that the Kaiserreich still exists.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: February 01, 2023, 08:13:49 am »

I can't speak for the rest of "the west", but if there's anything we americans are good at it's falling for misinformation!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: February 01, 2023, 11:17:08 am »

Georgia Wants Russia to Leave Its Land in a Ukraine Peace Deal

Minor thing but as this is emotional responses....

Hey, Ukrainians win the war while we do nothing to help you and, in fact, benefit greatly from helping Russians to circumvent the sanctions. And after you win, please demand that Russia will give us our land back. (BTW, this is while we are torturing your citizen, Saakashvili, to death)

Some people... some people...
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: February 01, 2023, 12:03:46 pm »

@jipehog
Yeah, I was referring to the recently found reserves... found when the USSR broke up and westerners started surveying in 1992-1995. That is a core point in what I have been saying.

Ukraine's "proven" natural gas reserves are more than enough to completely replace what Russia is providing to the EU. Not just for a year, but at least for 30 years (ballparking, because consumption rates are going to change, deeper reserves might be found with newer tech, etc).

Take a look at the three regions noted in this info blurb and at the last sentence.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There were news articles released in financial/oil data streams post-2000 when the reserves were proven, but most of those data streams are paywall, etc. But the people who knew back in 1995 have been working towards gaining control over this "new USNATO strategic interest".

Does that put my earlier posts in a different context?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Red Diamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: February 01, 2023, 12:51:39 pm »

The new government was not a "rebel government." There was no armed uprising, except by Russian-integrationists (to call them separatists is to deny their ultimate goal) propped up by the Russian regime. Yanukovich signed an agreement and then fled because his support was collapsing after he killed protestors. The parliament voted to remove the President in absentia.

In historical reality, as opposed to endless Star Wars style fiction governments are seldom overthrown in "armed uprisings".  Maybe it takes the wind out of the sails of the American gun nuts to realise that actually they don't need any guns to overthrow a tyrannical government, but I don't care. 

The Soviet Union created the South Ossetian Autonomous Oblast in, 1922, explicitly as a part of Soviet Georgia.  (Which was a fluid but extant entity, back in the days when countries were so easily fluid, except for the time it was a member of the Transcaucasian Democratic Federative Republic/Transcaucasian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic - alongside Armenia+Azerbaijan.)

When the USSR dissolved, it was logical that post-Soviet Georgia retain Soviet Georgian territory (even more so than Ukraine retain Crimea, which in turn still had more reason to be entirely independent than the current effective-exclave of Russia in a move chosen just because of too much preference for a selective fragment of history). Ossetians decided unilaterally to gain independance, which is a tricky proposition (ask Catalonia, Eritrea, Scotland, etc, for various modern experiences related to this), and then ended up effectively a Russian outpost. Not sure that was the intention by the (true) Ossetian patriots, but maybe they prefer to be unofficial vassal and military stomping ground to the huge nation instead of a continuingly autonimous region of the very much smaller one (revoked only in response to the local rejection of being 'merely' autonimous). I don't know what the true mix of current opinion is, and I'm not sure Mother Russia is keen to publicise any incompatible nuances.

The Ossetians goals are to be reunited with the other Ossetians which means being under Russian rule. 

The exact same logic you are using to support Georgian rule over Ossetia would also support Serbian rule over Kosovo. 

In any case, I am talking about about facts, not the rightness of legal fictions.  Georgian rule over Ossetia is a legal fiction, so there is no invasion (except perhaps a legally fictional one  :))

(...I can't parse this. The first "They" is Russia, but I'm not sure the rest of the "they"s and "their"s are also Russia. Or who else 'they' might be. Which grossly changes which alliances were kept/broken in your statement. I have a feeling what you tend towards, based on the rest, but it's such a bad summary that I'm not sure at all.)

First the Donbass republics are part of Ukraine and then they aren't.  Can you lot make your minds up?

Russia (and/or the 'independant' nations established with support by Moscow) does not control Donbass, at this point or at any point since 2014, or indeed long before. If you insist upon this definition defining who may or may not presume to control it. The leadership of Ukraine may have changed, as leaderships do, but the continuity of Ukraine (gross Russian or Russia-'sponsored' interventions aside) has every right to consider Donetsk and Luhansk still Ukrainean[1]. Armed separatism is no substitute for a more declararitive political separation (which, as indicated above, has seen its own problems) and delegitimises the move when quite obviously sponsored by the adjacent big bully of the region.

Invading somewhere does not automatically mean you in the wrong Starver.  It is factually incorrect to say that Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014 (as opposed to now) because at no point did they or even their allied forces enter territory controlled by Ukraine IN-FACT. 

Facts matter, not just legal rights and wrongs.  Ironically the Russian *never* actually disputed the legal fact of the Ukrainianness of the Donbass in 2014 (unlike now), only the Crimea.  It is their own local allies that effectively did this and without agreement from the Russian government.  The Russian plan was to have them rejoin Ukraine as part of the Minsk agreement, because the Russians at this point only wanted Crimea, not Donbass. 

As I think you're wrong/mistaken in much that leads up to this, I'm not sure I can support this and the rest. At best, Russia did not 'invade' until 'invited', but given the prior Russian footfall (upon land which overwhelmingly still cannot be considered legitimately non-Ukrainean, by standards of international law and convention) then even this "friendly vampire" reasoning is dodgy.

Why can you not accept that if someone overthrows a government they do not automatically gain IN-FACT possession of every inch of territory the government they overthrew possessed?  Ukraine lost possession of Donbass (and Crimea) when their government was overthrown because said places did not recognise the new government's authority.  Therefore they had to invade those places but the Russians came to their aid and they were partly unsuccessful, since much of the territory of those provinces was lost.  Thus there is a divergence between the legal claims of Ukraine and the factual reality. 

Nobody liked Yanukovich and he fled Ukraine on two occasions, not one.  He had no credibility as any kind of leader with anyone.  Russia were using him because they had nobody else, with the few chosen people from the Donbas proving too independent minded for them, prompting their assassination by Russia at a later date.

Basically he's a total coward, which appeals to Russia, but said total cowardice made it impossible for him to be credible or effective.  Anyone who actually wanted to fight against Ukraine would have been able to create a powerbase outside of total Russian control, which made them unacceptable and eventually got them murdered.

Insulting the character of people you don't know, tsk tsk.... 

Yanukovich won the democratic election so he had plenty of credibility with someone.  Yet despite having won the democratic election, he was overthrown by Euromaiden backed by the EU and the USA.  If you overthrow an in-fact government that makes you a rebel (more facts).  So factually speaking the regime in Ukraine invading Donbass are rebels and that is why have to invade the places in the first place.  Yanukavich controlled those places (Crimea as well) and they were devoted supporters *of* his rule.

The folly in my opinion is that the Russians did *not* simply invade Ukraine in 2014 in order to reinstate Yanukovich and crush Euromaiden.  They would found the job far easier then, but now they invade after giving them many years to consolidate their control of Ukraine.

Yeah, no.  Russia had attacked territory well beyond the Feb 24th lines, and had suffered significant reversals on the battlefield at various occasions.  They also sent thrusts well into territory they never held, including around several key cities in ways reminiscent to various thrusts in 2022.  The fighting was serious and back-and-forth.  This is just nonsense.

Russia isn't directly involved Devastator.  The war is between the new Ukrainian government and the provinces of Luhansk/Donotesk which do not accept said new government's authority over them (and never have). 

There's something going on here that I've seen before.  I think I'll call it the "Bad Faith Trifecta."  It's a hallmark of pro-Russian advocacy around the internet.

First, you tell a lie.  The lie right here is at the beginning.  Russia spent eight years stating it didn't use Russian forces invading the Donbas and Crimea.  Eight years of denying it constantly, in general and in specifics.

Second, you blame the victim.  "It's the West's fault they believed our invasion to be an invasion!  Not that our soldiers seized key areas with non-uniformed forces and launched a large conventional invasion to follow that up."  Always say it happened because of something done by someone else, not the person(s) who actually made the decision to invade.

The third is to change the subject.  You don't care about the legal basis of military command, and neither does Russia, but it's a much better topic to talk about rather than who did what.  It also admits, quite frankly, that the invasion of 2014 was an invasion done by Russian forces.

You can call inconveniant facts lies all you wish.  There was no invasion, because Russian forces (or possibly just weapons) never crossed any borders that Ukraine controlled at the time. 

Russia also did not use Russian forces, other entities *used* Russian forces (to some extent or another) and weapons in order to defend themselves against the Ukrainian government whose authority over them they do not recognise (and never had).  If I lend you a hammer to bash nails, it is not the person lending that hammer that bashed the nails but the person to whom the hammer is lent. 

It isn't the same Ukraine it was before, because that is what happens when you have rebellions.  You do not gain control automatically of all territory of a country simply because you overthrew the government of said country. 

I am saddened to see it all around me here in the Netherlands as well. A lot more people than I'd like seem to be mindwashed by second hand or third hand Russian desinformation. There's a large overlap, the people who were most strongly protesting corona lockdowns and vaccinations now are in the pro-Russia camp.
Plus there's the alt-right anti-EU movements that all too happily jump on the bandwagon, as long as it makes the EU look bad. (1)

I am most saddened by the fact that it's not just low education folks either. All too often I find myself flabberghasted to hear people of decent scientific background spout horsehit that in my line of education would classify as persistent delusion, possibly case of psychosis.

Paranoia seems to be common among the pro-Ukrainian lot.  Somehow a powerless, marginalised minority in Western countries has, in true Witchunting fashion an immense propoganda/media machine, despite the fact said machine is banned in those countries and even when it wasn't had marginal following. 

I haven't read any Russian propoganda for ages because that is all censored to death.  I am just clever and non-guillable enough to distinguish fact from fantasy, de-facto from de-jure.  Everything Western propogandists rely on their miseducated population being unable to do. 
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 167