Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119071 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #2325 on: February 21, 2023, 04:38:41 am »

Oh, Putin is going for the Western Satanism direction n his speech. Some gems:

"The west is proposing the idea of a gender-neutral God. Forgive them, Lord, for they know not what they do"

"Look at what they are doing in the West. Pedophilia is becoming the norm, priests are approving same-sex marriages"

(c) Putin, February 21, 2023
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: February 21, 2023, 04:48:36 am »

It's doing a good job of proving the anti-trans nonsense is Russian supported hatred.

And yeah, very bold for Biden to visit Kyiv.  Very very bold.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: February 21, 2023, 05:09:31 am »

In the same broadcast, he said the economy is improving. Source: it's currently running on the TV in my living room.

I sometimes wonder if he really lives on Earth or if he just comes to visit every once in a while.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: February 21, 2023, 05:13:02 am »

I have a strong suspicion that Russians developed a GPT AI model trained on Russian propaganda and conspiracy theories and tasked it with writing a speech for Putin.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: February 21, 2023, 05:15:30 am »

I have a strong suspicion that Russians developed a GPT AI model trained on Russian propaganda and conspiracy theories and tasked it with writing a speech for Putin.
AI voice and deepfakes are improving leaps and bounds so honestly this isn't as impossible as it sounds lol.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: February 21, 2023, 05:17:50 am »

AI voice and deepfakes are improving leaps and bounds so honestly this isn't as impossible as it sounds lol.

No Putin is real (and the amount of coughing is encouraging) but the speech is as coherent as an output for a mediocre GPT model and has as many new ideas

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: February 21, 2023, 05:23:23 am »

No Putin is real (and the amount of coughing is encouraging) but the speech is as coherent as an output for a mediocre GPT model and has as many new ideas
Yep, it's verbal diarrhea of the highest caliber. Even his audience of cronies had... less than encouraging expressions. Many frowned while clapping lmao.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: February 21, 2023, 06:27:11 am »

Putin announced that he will suspend Russia's participation with the nuclear non proliferation treaty with the US
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: February 21, 2023, 06:35:57 am »

Putin announced that he will suspend Russia's participation with the nuclear non proliferation treaty with the US

Yeah, the only fresh part of the speech. It looked like a weird last-minute additional in an otherwise mundane speech.

Should we congratulate Iran with fresh nukes or will Russia merely try to produce more of its own nukes?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: February 21, 2023, 07:47:43 am »

New START =/= NPT. The treaty he's suspending is the talks on restricting US and Russian arsenals, which are needed because the treaty expires soon (which was intended to result in a series of increasingly more limiting treaties eventually leading to disarmament). The "Do not give nukes to anybody that doesn't currently have them" treaty remains in place.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: February 21, 2023, 07:49:58 am »

I can't see them affording any expansion of their nuclear arsenal.  What's the point of that action?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: February 21, 2023, 08:21:55 am »

I can't see them affording any expansion of their nuclear arsenal.  What's the point of that action?

Why can't they afford an expansion? All they need to do is to cut some healthcare, social welfare, and education

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: February 21, 2023, 08:44:18 am »

By producing more weapons casings, they perhaps don't need to go to the trouble[1] and expense of the whole putting of viable devices into them. For a bluff, which is realistically what we must consider this to be. Otherwise it's a DS9 defence[2], but Putin aint anything like a Kira Neris and I don't see that turning out even as well as it did for her, temporarily.

Putin's MO, as judo-chessmaster, does incline me to think that it's more powerplay (using foreign fears against those opponents by manoeuvring) than actually revealing his direct and deliberate intentions so blatantly. That and playing it up to the home-crowd (if this deal is about to expire anyway, make it look like it is expiring under his terms alone, in a way that earns him.the 'credit' for it).

[1] Because everyone is very good at monitoring radionucleids, I could see them deliberately releasing a 'by-product' mix of them, to try to convince the world that they're spinning up their production lines in that respect, too. But I'm imagining that if they can't do it all for real then they just go for "plausible non-[/]deniability"...

[2] Fire all of the six photon torpedoes you do have, as "warning shot", and then dare the attacker to actually shoot back... (The second time you try this bluff, though... You'd be best to show that it isn't a bluff!)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: February 21, 2023, 09:40:25 am »

Much of it is that Biden really wants an expanded follow on to New START - beyond all the other reasons that a limitation treaty is a good idea, the existing treaty was a major policy win for the Obama administration that Biden had a hand in. Putin very clearly thinks he can use the threat of an expiring treaty as a bludgeon to get Biden to back down from aiding Ukraine.This isn't going to work - even ignoring all the other reasons that aiding Ukraine is a good idea, Biden would lose far more face from backing down than he would from having New Start collapse. Especially since the treaty manifestly benefits Russia (a nuclear arms race between the current US and the current Russia would be akin to a race between a Lada and a Sprint missile - it is far from clear how well Russia can even maintain their inherited nukes), and it is entirely Russia's fault the talks are foundering.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 167