Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 69

Author Topic: Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!  (Read 53398 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: I deleted twitter and you should too
« Reply #270 on: June 02, 2022, 10:13:16 am »

I want that law to get shot down because I like it when the far-right gets censored online. It delegitimizes them.

Do you like when far-lefts get censored online?
Yes, if they are tankies.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 03, 2022, 01:25:02 am »

Who needs social media when we have this forum, also I just realized that this the only place I talk to people since I don't really talk to anyone in RL.

Yeah, just seal of the entrance. Who needs sunlight?
Who needs sun light anyway, that's what I always say!

Also what the hell is a tankies?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 03, 2022, 01:48:41 am »

Tankies = Stalinists, Maoists, etc.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 03, 2022, 04:52:47 am »

Tankie comes from the ancient times of 1956, when some British communists went "We are normal and those party members who support USSR moving tanks in Hungry are not and now we have a word to describe them."

Modern use of the word is more like - "not true left like us, just like Stalin and Mao who never were true left." At least it is the use I see the most.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 03, 2022, 05:35:47 am »

Tankie comes from the ancient times of 1956, when some British communists went "We are normal and those party members who support USSR moving tanks in Hungry are not and now we have a word to describe them."

Modern use of the word is more like - "not true left like us, just like Stalin and Mao who never were true left." At least it is the use I see the most.
They are true left, just the wrong kind of left. I consider them ideological enemies just like the fascists, the ancaps, and any variety of Luddite or other reactionary.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 03, 2022, 09:06:41 am »

It strikes me that everyone lacking a carbon copy of your beliefs is, to your mind, your ideological enemy.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 03, 2022, 09:09:00 am »

Eh? I thought nobody liked tankies. Aren't they apologists for the authoritarian dictatorships under Mao and Stalin?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 03, 2022, 10:27:52 am »

Basically, yeah. They're largely the folks that end up supporting genocide or somethin' because it's carried out by an enemy of the west or someone claiming to be communist or whatev'. For a recent example, they're fairly likely to buy in or parrot the horseshit about russia's invasion of ukraine being a response to nato aggression or crap along those lines.

"No one likes them" is a pretty accurate take, they're (or at least their political et al positions) generally pretty reviled by... well, most reasonable people, even ones that are otherwise fairly politically extreme. Sometimes their heart's kinda' in the right place but holy shit do ideological blinders come into play real, real hard.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 03, 2022, 10:48:50 am »

Yeah, as a leftist I resist tankie ideology (despite having some odd inclinations towards it) because it's intolerant.  I don't tolerate intolerance.  I'd personally love some benign authoritarian deity or singularity-style AI, but I've seen enough history to know that neo-Stalinists would end up putting all us other lefties in gulag.  Again.

It's kinda like how conservatives and fascists are both right-wing, but will never work together again after WW2.  Conservatives have deeply held ideals about liberty, and the fascists would inevitably use populism and fear to core out the conservative party from the inside.  Again.

yup, so glad the US Republican establishment would never risk repeating that history
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 03, 2022, 10:56:37 am »

It strikes me that everyone lacking a carbon copy of your beliefs is, to your mind, your ideological enemy.
How dare I hate people who support genocide and totalitarianism!

And no, not really. Liberals are not ideological enemies. Socdems are not ideological enemies. Centrists are not ideological enemies. Moderate conservatives are not ideological enemies. Anarchists are not ideological enemies. And so on, and so on.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 03, 2022, 11:53:52 am »

The correct form of Marxism is those who idealize Chico, Harpo, and Groucho.
I'm an avowed Zeppoista, personally.

(What's that, Harpo supporters..? Sorry, I can't hear you!)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 03, 2022, 01:06:55 pm »

I will die on the hill that left\right labels are silly for everyday use, especially when we talk about views of individuals and not about parties\movements

I know people who put me firmly in the far-left camp simply because I am an atheist and\or openly oppose homophobes\racists
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 03, 2022, 01:34:18 pm »

Or is it because you're left-leaning in the way you type... You always use \ instead of /, I think... ;)

((Sorry, two jokey responses in a row from me. And my onscreen keyboard hides "/” in an extended-punctuation click-layer, whilst the "\" is just a long-press off the alphanumeric layout. For no obvious, or obviously reconfigurable, reason...))

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 03, 2022, 02:25:38 pm »

"I belong to most hated, most despised, least supported political ideology: I am a moderate."
-Probably all those poor moderates that get caught in the crossfire
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 69