Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 69

Author Topic: Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!  (Read 53305 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: I deleted twitter and you should too
« Reply #765 on: July 08, 2023, 01:18:26 pm »

Twitter has threatened to sue Meta over its new Threads app, the news outlet Semafor reported on Thursday.

In a letter to CEO Mark Zuckerberg published by Semafor, a lawyer for Twitter said the company “has serious concerns that Meta Platforms (Meta) has engaged in systematic, willful and unlawful misappropriation of Twitter’s trade secrets and other intellectual property”.

*grabs popcorn*
Link: https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/07/06/tech/twitter-meta-threads-legal-threat/index.html

Hm, but will Esucks come up with the money to proceed to any lawsuit?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 08, 2023, 01:22:36 pm »

Twitter has threatened to sue Meta over its new Threads app, the news outlet Semafor reported on Thursday.

In a letter to CEO Mark Zuckerberg published by Semafor, a lawyer for Twitter said the company “has serious concerns that Meta Platforms (Meta) has engaged in systematic, willful and unlawful misappropriation of Twitter’s trade secrets and other intellectual property”.

*grabs popcorn*
Link: https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/07/06/tech/twitter-meta-threads-legal-threat/index.html

Hm, but will Esucks come up with the money to proceed to any lawsuit?

The funniest part is that Musk called all those guys he fired idiots and said that Twitter's code is an awful mess. Why is he worried that the idiots he so wisely fired will now ruin Meta?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 09, 2023, 03:33:45 pm »

I just wandered into the updates available on my Android tablet. I usually do this every Friday[1], as I did this week, occasionally I have another look before the end of the weekend.

The non-uninstallable Twitter app (never intentionally opened) had an update, just now. (It didn't on Friday.) Confusingly, it was dated as from June 30th[2]. No clue as to what changes, and no real8stic way for me to find out, but could be linked to the rate-limiting, perhaps...

Not necessarily news, or meaningful, but I thought I'd say something anyway.

[1] Some things auto-update whenever they feel like it, occasionally I'm told I must update something (often a xay or two after I last did it...

[2] But then the default Calculator app said 8th Jan, and I think the apparent update-date is often seemingly arbitrary and provably wrong (from before the last (few) most recent update(s) for that item. Seems to have no logic to it. I shall have to check if the Calculator's main bug has been squished, though. Maybe they rolled it back to before they made it go a bit wrong....

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #769 on: July 11, 2023, 09:06:41 am »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/suspended-twitter-account-tracking-elon-musks-jet-moves-threads-rcna93223?
Amazing.

Jesus christ lol. Remember the "I'm a free speech absolutist, I'm not censoring the automated account using publicly available data, see how fanatic I am about free speech?"
Serves him right.

Might move to threads aswell, depending on how retarded their politics on user data are.

Edit : Among other clowneries, Elon Musk challenged Zuckenberg to a boxing match, before being stopped by his mother, which is mildly entertaining.
Seems to be writing on the wall for Twitter... Harsh reminder than signing contracts while high out of your mind is a very bad idea.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 09:32:08 am by Cathar »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 11, 2023, 10:16:27 am »

Seems to be writing on the wall for Twitter... Harsh reminder than signing contracts while high out of your mind is a very bad idea.
Nah, he wasn't high. It was failed market manipulation. Turns out that trying to con people while signing legally enforceable contracts that you have no way to get out of is really stupid.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 11, 2023, 06:01:20 pm »

Might move to threads aswell, depending on how retarded their politics on user data are.
Last I noticed, the data they ask for access to looks like a checklist and is currently the reason they weren't/aren't planning on operating in the EU out the gate -- they're not capable or willing to meet EU standards on privacy. Worse than facebook, basically, which was already more or less industry leader in wiping its ass with your personal data, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 12, 2023, 01:45:14 am »

Edit : Among other clowneries, Elon Musk challenged Zuckenberg to a boxing match, before being stopped by his mother, which is mildly entertaining.

The challenge thing is ridiculous and embarrassing of course but I find the "mum said no" part to be the most humanising news about Musk for months or years now
Love, scriver~

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #773 on: July 12, 2023, 02:25:53 am »

The challenge thing is ridiculous and embarrassing of course but I find the "mum said no" part to be the most humanising news about Musk for months or years now
Why ? None of it is normal human behavior

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 12, 2023, 04:55:22 am »

You know you're dealing with a giant manchild when he says he can't do something because his mom told him no.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 12, 2023, 05:04:24 am »

You know you're dealing with a giant manchild when he says he can't do something because his mom told him no.

I hope he gets a good spanking and is grounded.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #777 on: July 12, 2023, 11:29:37 am »

I hope he gets a good spanking and is grounded.
No more internet for you, young man ! Off social media for a week !
Looks like Elon is going to get the last laugh:
https://www.sciencealert.com/spacexs-starlink-satellites-are-leaking-radiation-scientists-confirm
If we fail to reach stage 1 civilization because of Elon Musk, we can officially declare humanity a failure and just scrap planet earth
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 11:31:54 am by Cathar »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 12, 2023, 01:46:31 pm »

If we fail to reach stage 1 civilization because of Elon Musk, we can officially declare humanity a failure and just scrap planet earth

You mean handle the planet Earth to AIs that will conquer the galaxy and eradicate organic life, right?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 12, 2023, 02:03:37 pm »

Reading as far down the article as I could before it crashed my browser (too much scripting, probably, I could see it was still trying to load auxilliary resources all the tume), it does need to be said that "radio frequencies" is the better hyponym to "radiation". (And if they just aren't shielded/suppressed sufficiently against broadcasting unauthorised frequencies and harmonics, there should be a number of regulatory bodies that could try to enforce (at least) mitigative actions against the company.)

Obviously an issue, but not the kind of issue you'd have if it was a radioactive problem. Technically it could be completely shut off completely, in an instant (or somewhere within the period of one orbit). Not that I expect them to do that. And it'd need additional commands to also remove both their optical-pollution from the astronomical skies and their potential to be Kessler Syndrome feedstock-in-waiting (for which you'd want them passive but still responsive where necessary, if not ordered to hasten their orbital decay).

All obvious problems, of course. I believe there's been some work to angle the craft to minimise "iridium flare" behaviour, but obviously there's so much "obvious engineering considerations" that may or may not have been actively considered (or the considerations put forward into practical solutions). They'll have forgotten/ignored a number of them, and hopefully nothing more serious than (and few things as serious, or even vaguely approaching) the above issue. Totally out of the hands of armchair 'experts' such as I may be, of course. Pass me the popcorn?
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 69