Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [47.05] LISA: The Dwarfful - Combo Weapons Update  (Read 15469 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
[47.05] LISA: The Dwarfful - Combo Weapons Update
« on: April 29, 2022, 02:32:11 pm »

Welcome to my first not-quite-total conversion mod (many vanilla animals and plants are still present), based on the LISA games as well as the fangames of it.
I assume some familiarity with the source material on the end of the user, but I'm sure even those who aren't familiar with the LISA games might appreciate the absurdity on display. If you haven't played the Painful already and are a fan of quirky (and also rather dark) RPGs then definitely buy it and give it a shot!
Beware of spoilers, however - this mod contains quite a few.

Spoiler: "Story" of the mod (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: General gameplay notes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Known issues (click to show/hide)

Special thanks:
-Austin Jorgensen, for creating the wonderful and weird LISA games.
-Edvinas Kandrotas, Taco Salad and other fangame makers, for providing more expansions to the world of LISA.
-Splint, for providing the awesome banner seen above, as well as providing gun parts, some of the creatures in this mod, many of the ruin "plants", and helping out with testing and reactions. Check out his mods!
-Squamous, for providing additional ruin "plants" and the non-procgenned instruments seen in this mod. Also check out his total conversion mods!
-Martin Armstrong.

Make sure to report any issues you encounter to this thread - I have no way of fixing them if I don't know about them
Download the mod here! - it is already pre-installed with Dwarf Fortress, so no need to extract anything or change any folders.
An example world is included in the install, with mostly every faction somewhat intact (aside from Creeps, who I might have to buff a bit to help their survivability). May be a bit slow on weaker PCs due to the uncapped population limit. The preset for it is in advanced worldgen, called RECOMMENDED. Feel free to gen your own world though and get what you feel is good for you.
I highly recommend using advanced worldgen to remove the more supernatural vanilla DF stuff, as this mod isn't meant to go along with them - titans, necromancers, werebeasts, etc.
The two tracks in this mod are "Summer Love" and "Winner Winner What's Four Dinner Boys" from the Painful's OST.
Make sure to not skip the regular DF intro for a slight surprise at the end. Heh heh heh.

In the next post I'll briefly explain the different factions in the mod, as well as categories of the different weapons.

If you're looking for more high fantasy-themed mods, check out the link in my signature to my other work.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 09:38:36 am by ZM5 »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: [47.05] LISA: The Dwarfful - A Life-Ruining DF Experience
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 03:58:49 pm »

Spoiler: Factions (click to show/hide)

Some things left to do:
-Maybe a combo bench workshop ala Dead Rising that allows one to combine weapons together, giving more use to weapons salvaged from slain enemies than just trap filler or vendor trash.
-Remaining gangs from Hopeful and Vegaful that weren't included in this initial pass (like the Seamen, the Engine Enthusiasts or the Hangmen).
-Improve the advanced worldgen preset a bit to make it more wasteland-y - somewhat unfamiliar with the region-based advanced worldgen options, but we'll see how things turn out.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 02:19:56 pm by ZM5 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 04:29:04 pm »

I could have prevented this.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 04:29:56 pm »

I could have prevented this.
I don't think you could have.

Guess you could say it was inevitable.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 06:10:52 pm »

I thought it's a joke but then I realized it isn't...

How did you make guns? I am tweaking and changing the Musket dfhack script, and I ended up with a system where:
- Each non-heavy gun fires the same type of ammo - very lightweight so you could carry a lot of it. It greatly reduces micromanagement in squad ammo assignment.
- When the ammo leaves the gun, it becomes a special kind of ammo (pistol, rifle, shotgun pellet etc), thus making weapons unique

It does require you to use DFHack, but if you are interested, I can share the result with you. It's my Fallout mod I am working on, so I wanted the guns to look "right".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 06:37:51 pm »

I thought it's a joke but then I realized it isn't...
No. No it's not. And we're all worse people for it. :P

How did you make guns? I am tweaking and changing the Musket dfhack script, and I ended up with a system where:
- Each non-heavy gun fires the same type of ammo - very lightweight so you could carry a lot of it. It greatly reduces micromanagement in squad ammo assignment.
- When the ammo leaves the gun, it becomes a special kind of ammo (pistol, rifle, shotgun pellet etc), thus making weapons unique

It does require you to use DFHack, but if you are interested, I can share the result with you. It's my Fallout mod I am working on, so I wanted the guns to look "right".

We'd just opted to accept the gameplay jank (similar to having stuff like self-driving cars and motorcycles - can't really do anything about it, but wanted them in the mod since they're in the setting,) mainly because of DF hack breaking every update and it being a skillset neither I or ZM really have (I helped out a fair bit where I could.) It's lame, but it makes the mod way easier to update and add stuff to and keeps it from being reliant on a third party utility that can take a relatively long time to update.

Also good luck on your Fallout mod, been wanting a good post-apocalypse themed mod! Last good one I played was an old version of Corrosion and a beta version of this.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 02:11:04 am »

Mostly went with stuff that has slower fire rates and the different ammo types are considered separate - generally higher firing forces for firearms and the ammo types themselves count as edged piercing shots (aside from flechette/buckshot shells, which do more slashing-type damage to blow off limbs) - as Splint said, DFHack isn't in either of our skillsets nor is it something I particularly want to rely on since it delays updates when new versions come out.

Good luck on the Fallout mod though, gonna be fun to see more post-apoc conversions! Definitely make sure to include the Legion too, would love to see them.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 07:04:05 pm »

Just today in the bath while drinking beer and watching a Let's Play of Fallout 2 I was thinking if I should include Legion or not...
Thanks for the request, it made it easy.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kingra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2022, 11:31:25 pm »

The joy mutant transformation seem a bit messed up for the lovely and joyboys. When I tested them in the arena and they mutate they seem to shift rapidly between every possible transformation.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 02:27:01 am »

The joy mutant transformation seem a bit messed up for the lovely and joyboys. When I tested them in the arena and they mutate they seem to shift rapidly between every possible transformation.
That's odd, I thought that only happens when the caste token is set to ALL rather than ANY. Will change it then and upload a fix.

EDIT: Fix uploaded - changed the creature token for a series of flags.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 03:28:31 am by ZM5 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2022, 07:10:13 pm »

A minor heads up for anyone curious. Unsure what's causing it, since I made the plants, but it takes a few tries to gather pipes and the like sticking out of the ground. Could be a skill issue on the part of the herbalists, but I'm unsure.

If your dudes aren't collecting from a given thing, just redesignate if using the manual designations. They'll just try again if they're in gathering zones later. Once gathered they function as intended at the workshop, being converted into pipe and rebar weapons and whatnot (thankfully.)

BluealienDio

• Bay Watcher
  • Vampiric Guest, [PREFSTRING:steamrollers]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2022, 12:19:10 pm »

I'll be damned, DF was the last place I expected to see LISA pop up. But man, this is genuinely amazing! Major props to you all for creating this, made my afternoon.

My Mods:
Team Dwarftress 2: Creature Packs: [WIP]

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2022, 09:00:24 am »

I'll be damned, DF was the last place I expected to see LISA pop up. But man, this is genuinely amazing! Major props to you all for creating this, made my afternoon.

Thanks, hopefully its enjoyable!

Small update time. Most importantly, the old Workbench has been replaced with three different workshops - the standard Worktable, the Salvage Worktable (retaining the old requirements of needing wrenches), and the Backyard Smelter (which needs fuel and fire-safe blocks).

The regular Worktable is easier to make, only requiring a chair/throne, two stone or metal tables, and an empty chest, coffer or bag. Its used for opening up hidden stashes, putting bayonets on guns, putting guns together, making cigs (moved over from the Mag Press) or combining weapons.

The Salvage Worktable, as mentioned, still requires a pipe wrench and a combi wrench, and is used for the salvage jobs of cleaning up old pipes, sorting rebar heaps, etc.

The Backyard Furnace is used for melting down utility piping and bits of scrap metal harvested from old trailers and such into usable bars of metal. Junk gained from Combo Weapon reactions can also be melted down here or at a standard smelter to produce usable bars of metal - compared to simply designating the junk for meltdown, melting them using these reactions has a chance of producing additional bars of metal.

The main new feature in this update, as mentioned before, is combining weapons together, ala Dead Rising (I'll fully admit a large chunk of the combo weapons are just rip-offs from the DR games). With all the crap you'd be getting from slain invaders and possibly from caravans, I figure its an alternate way to get worth out of them as opposed to melting them down for bars, especially as you might get much higher quality and deadly gear - the combining reactions use the laborer skill (or punp operator), so the citizens more experienced with salvaging and putting bayonets on weapons will be able to make some really strange, but deadly and high-quality weapons. Some of the combo weapons also utilize tool or trap component objects you might get from caravans or raids, such as shopping carts, ball-peen hammers or serrated sawblades.

For optimal material usage, I strongly recommend sorting weapon stockpiles by metal and ensuring that only they give to worktables you mean to use for combining weapons, i.e silver, copper or steel weapons for a worktable prioritizing making blunt weapons, and steel, iron or bronze for a worktable prioritizing making edged weapons.
The combining reactions also require a circular saw and a power drill - neither of which are consumed in the process - as well as a variable amount of leather to hold together the different components.

As an aside, I've added four new standard weapons.

Spoiler: List of new weapons (click to show/hide)

Keep in mind that your Wasters are not the only ones that can use Combo weapons. Invaders will use some of them occasionally - though at the same time, not every group has every combo weapon type available, unlike the Wasters.

Splint also provided artwork of a typical Trash Bandit. Should one ask you, "Do you trash?", always respond with "Yes", unless you wish to join God's barbeque party. Thanks to him also for helping out with the new workshops and reactions.

Also a combat report I feel like sharing from my most recent siege - a Velvetman brawler flying axe kicking a junk car in half. This is exactly the kind of anime-tier bullshit I wanted to happen with unarmed combat in this mod.

Should be it for now, hope you guys enjoy this update.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 09:14:23 am by ZM5 »

lunaman22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [47.05] LISA: The Dwarfful - Combo Weapons Update
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2022, 09:56:24 am »

Hey, I really enjoyed this mod and I was wondering if you are going to be working on a port to Steam for this?
I presume you'd need to wait for classic mode due to the fact that all the sprites would need an actual artist to do them and such.
If not, would you mind if someone else tried their hand at porting?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: [47.05] LISA: The Dwarfful - Combo Weapons Update
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2022, 04:10:46 am »

Hey, I really enjoyed this mod and I was wondering if you are going to be working on a port to Steam for this?
I presume you'd need to wait for classic mode due to the fact that all the sprites would need an actual artist to do them and such.
If not, would you mind if someone else tried their hand at porting?
Yeah, I'm waiting on classic right now, probably gonna do a bit of additional content for this and my other mods before it releases.

In terms of graphics, doubtful it'll be any time soon. I've taken to pixel art as a hobby in the past few months, so I was hoping to do Lisa-style graphics for the creatures unique to this mod at least (no way in hell I'd be doing all the remaining animals Lisa-style) - that said, it'd take a while to go through everything, especially as I'd also have to do the sprites on a per-caste basis when it comes to anything multi-caste, or even for a basic male/female split. There's also no way I'd be using the layered stuff introduced in premium, far too much of a hassle.
Pages: [1] 2