Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 48

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 69931 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress (Succession Game)
« Reply #225 on: October 28, 2022, 03:44:43 pm »

Its rare in dwarf fortress to come across old age, having the fortress run on a shorter time span really makes you more invested in the citizens. Could you upload the current save as i would love to take a few years turn (keeping it low key) or just to see the ages of all citizens and whats being going on in the world around them.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 28, 2022, 04:10:40 pm »

I can do that. I'll upload tomorrow, though, since there's a few things I need to get done before it.

I've spent this day doing other stuff (got a bit of gaming in, but nothing much to report of), but I'll try tomorrow to get to a point where I can pass the save. At the very least I'll have the save up on Sunday.

I'll need to do a overview too, since there's quite a bit of new stuff since the last one.

Haven't really been checking much on what's happening in the world and the merchants haven't brought much news in the last ten or more years (I assume the war has calmed down in the south). So, would be cool to read if you find something interesting in the world.

...And yeah, can't remember if I've ever had a game where old age actually becomes a big deal. I've had dwarves die of old age, sure, but it's usually the ones that were already old to begin with (the longest fort I've had was somewhere around 50-60 years, I think). These capies they were, what, between 20-30 when we started and now they're in their sixties or approaching it fast.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 28, 2022, 06:20:47 pm »

Okay sounds good.

I had one dwarf, the king. He survived the many threats of the fort once we aqquired him. He survived so long (14/15 years) i was trying to get him necromancy. Had the lore that he was desperatly trying to extend his life. So the dwarven armys would return with necromancer books and in his personal library he would spend his last 3/4 years trying to discover secrets.

He died of old age, if i recall one of his surviving sons took over.

Wonder if one of our citizens will ever inherit such a title.

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 29, 2022, 07:37:51 pm »

Part XVI:
Thawing Ice

Såkzul was looking for Yawo. Edu was desperately in need for the healing hands of the mandrill woman witch-doctor. But the bookkeeper could not find Yawo for she was in none of her regular places.

The mandrill woman, in fact, was sleeping. Not in her bed, but in the attic of Vabôk's Dyery, sleeping among the barrels full of dyes. It was not a normal place for her to sleep -- she had a bed in a her cozy room.

When the cyclops had come and everyone was ordered inside, Yawo had been tired. Very tired. And the closest place to hide she found was Vabôk's attic. And there she had fallen asleep, huddled against one of the barrels.

But fortunately Yawo was not the only one who had skills in the healing arts: Vabôk, the dyer and monk, had tended to wounds in his past.

Upon hearing what had happened, he dropped what he was doing and rushed towards the infirmary in a hurry.

Edu was lucky.

His wounds were not so serious -- if you don't count the missing paw -- and most of the bleeding had ceased when Vabôk arrived.

Rest and a crutch were the monk's orders for the patient.

But Edu felt like the short rest he had was enough. Sure, he was still a bit faint, but he could manage. He felt like getting back to work. So he grabbed a crutch that Vabôk gave him, walked down the stairs of Yawo's Clinic and headed to plant some seeds.

Dodók Channelplaits was playing with a toy boat in the dormitory of the Fruit of Letters when the mood struck her. A sudden sense of inspiration overtook her. It was something the one year old child hadn't felt and it compelled her to leave the toy on the floor and head out.

She walked outside into the rain, not minding it, and headed towards Zon's and Asmel's Tailory. But she did not go to the tailor's table. She went to the crafter's workshop next to it, laying claim to it, and immediately headed out to gather materials.

It was quite the amount of materials Dodók needed for her creation, and after several days of secretive work she showed her masterpiece to the others, offering it to the whole community.

Shasarbisól, 'The Frightful Peace', a persimmon wood crown with an ominous name. The child could not explain why she had chosen the name, saying only that it was something she was “told” to give it (and yes, Yawo said it was the spirits who told her, though some would disagree). Perhaps it was a reference to the uneasiness that had crept into the hearts and minds of the capybaras ever since the monks arrived and the walls rose -- peace existed still, but it felt more fragile than ever; as if an impending doom was catching up.

Regardless, the crown was simple, but very elegant. It was encrusted with octagon cut black zircon alternating with intricate patterns carved into the wood and encircled with bands of cushion orthoclase cabochons and briolette cut black zircons. The wooden spikes of the crown were adorned with red spinel and more black zircons. Carved into the crown's band was an image of radish plants, with a depiction of a great white shark in pig tail cloth surrounding the central piece, an image of almond trees -- something very common in Waterlures -- carved from andesite.

It was a crown fit for a king.

Oddom Rackknight was playing with a wooden puzzlebox of elven make. He was at the looms above Vabôk's Dyery, observing his mother Såkzul at work. This room, this was where the magic happened: where the threshed and spun pig tails were woven into the finest of cloth, dyed by the dwarf monk with vivid colors, ready to be taken to Zon's and Asmel's Tailory just around the corner.

He was pleased here. It was fascinating. To see how things were done. Soon he would be twelve, and he too would be hard at work. And when he would be at work, he wanted to do everything just right. He wasn't so sure that he would have the skill to for that, though. He looked at the tunic he was wearing. Like this, this tunic: the cloth and tailorship were of exceptional quality, and it was dyed very well into a deep midnight blue color by Vabôk.

“Oddom, have you given any thought to what we talked about?”, Såkzul said to the boy as she finished weaving, referring to a discussion they had several days earlier. Old age was coming for the bookkeeper and she knew it, felt it in her bones. She wouldn't be around forever, and when her time came, there wouldn't be a bookkeeper in Waterlures anymore. So after some thinking she had thought that Oddom might have interest in taking up the task: since a young age he had tried to do everything perfectly. Oddom hadn't given a direct answer.

“The bookkeeping?”, Oddom turned to face mother, continuing in a very serious and surprisingly mature tone, “We all have to do our part, and if that is my part, then I must do it. It is like mayor Waxedtiles has said: we must follow the rules, not our whims.”

“Oh sweety, you don't have to do it. I thought it might be something you would like and be good at,” Såkzul smiled at her child. He was always so serious, taking in everything the higher-ups said. “It's just a job among any other. But we work so that we may later relax without worry. And those rules, you could consider them more as... As guidelines.”

Oddom twitched his brow, “But we need to follow the rules. Society can only flourish when lawbreakers are punished.”

Såkzul chuckled. Such words from someone so young.

It was but only a few days after her discussion with Oddom at the looms when Såkzul gave birth, once again.

Her ninth child was a boy. Adil Wheelsconfined was the name she and Zuglar chose for him.

Såkzul was blissful. She had brought so many a new life into this world, time and again proving that old age did not make her infertile. She and Zuglar were truly blessed by Ôsed.

And like so many times before, Såkzul was not the only one to give birth this year: mayor Kasat Waxedtiles, too, gave birth to a boy.

The amount of children in Waterlures was growing. Nearly half the population were young ones, though many were approaching the age of twelve and would then be considered adults.

And that number continued to grow when Asmel was born to Kib and Edu.

Zefon 'Bob' Drunkenceilings sat down at the porch, a steaming sheep meat stew in front of him. The smell was divine and it made the wombat man drool. The meal was a good distraction from the midwinter blizzard raging outside, though the porch offered little protection from the cold, biting wind. The four year old Ònul, daughter of the manager and bookkeeper, was there too, eating a splendid dish.

“Did you happen to leave the toys lying in the dormitory again, Ònul?”, the wombat man turned to address the little one. “Toys here and there, toys everywhere! I've been hauling toys all day long. Throught that dang blizzard!”, he continued and began slurping the stew and picking the fatty parts out of it with his fingers.

Ònul looked at the old wombat man with wide eyes, slightly perturbed by his angry tone. “N-No...”, she said truthfully. She had been playing in the dormitory, but without toys this time. The others, though... She saw them leave their toys lying all around. But she didn't want to tell on them to the mean wombat.

“Look. I'm an old man. An old, old man. Far too old for this kind of cleaning. You kids have to learn to clean your mess,” the wombat said, not really directing his words at the child, but talking to himself aloud -- he had a tendency to do that. He then continued, “Besides, if you don't  do that Zomuth will come into your dreams.”

Ònul looked confused and opened her mouth, “Zomuth?”

“Oh, you don't know who that is?”, the wombat man turned slowly to face the child, bent his head slightly towards her, his many amulets dangling from the mess of wooden crowns he wore. “Zomuth Godlygreases is a god. He is the one who rules and controls your dreams...and your nightmares. Your worst nightmares,” 'Bob' said with a sinister voice, doing his best to scare the little one.

But Ònul wasn't scared. Mother and father would protect her. And Ôsed would protect her.

From the journal of mayor Kasat Waxedtiles
8th of Granite, 361

“An unfortunate discovery was made as the ice thawed: the body of Upnal, the guild representative, could be seen at the bottom of the lake.

Nobody seems to know how it happened, how he got there. The wombat man thought that maybe the human had tried his luck in fishing and fell into the water and drowned. He said humans are known for their lack of swimming skills. I don't know. It seems like someone would have noticed if that was the case. The fishing pier is right next to the fishery and brewery!

Others proposed that maybe he had walked on the early deceptive ice and it gave under his weight, dragging him under the ice and muffling all sounds. It sounds possible. And Yawo, yes, Yawo said that it was the 'angry spirits'. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. It could have been the pixies and fairies being mishievous, certainly.

Whatever the reason, we have to get his body out of the water and give him a proper burial. It is only right. And maybe it will help alleviate the eventual situation where I have to explain the whole incident to the humans when they next arrive; how such a thing could come to happen in the village I oversee.

Oh, why doesn't the Prince of Duty show some mercy now and again?”

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(A view of Waterlures in the late spring of 361)

=====

That's the turn then.

Took a bit longer today than expected. I'll do the overview (probably a short one) and post the save after I wake up. Now a bit too tired to concentrate on that, so I'll just chug a beer or two before sleep.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 30, 2022, 10:10:25 am »

Overview:

Here's an overview of Waterlures in late spring 361.

A general view of the "main" z-level.

On the top left there's the mines, which I expanded slightly (giving the exploratory tunnels a more 'organic' look). However, we have currently more than enough stone for our needs, so that means NO MINING (or digging) should be done on the map.

Here we have the Mill Gate, which leads to the hilltop and passes Rin's Mill, and the Temple Gate, which leads... nowhere in particular currently. A temple for Ôsed is in the plans, so it'll eventually be there, possibly with a new graveyard.

The drawbridges are controlled from the lever room, which is in the barracks (I'll get to it later).

There's also portcullises (not shown as they're raised). The levers are next to the gates.

All drawbridges and portcullises along with their levers have been named, so there shouldn't be any confusion about what the levers do.

And here we have the levers in the barracks (or Archer's and Hunter's Lodge, as I think I called it earlier). They control all the drawbridges of the walls.

There's usually someone quite close, so it shouldn't take too long for them to be pulled.

Here we have the Pen Gate and West Gate. They too have portcullises (raised) and the levers are right next to them. Also, the drawbridge levers are in the barracks.

Here's the South Gate.

The lever to the South Gate portcullis is, unlike with other gates, above it. The drawbridge, however, is still controlled from the barracks.

And the East Gate. Portcullis lever next to it, drawbridge from barracks.

The Hill Gate. From here you get to the statue garden. Portcullis lever next to the gate, drawbridge from the barracks.

Just north of the Mill Gate lie the new catacombs with two shrines in its entry. If someone dies a coffin should be assigned to them as a tomb, not generic burial. Next to the coffin in the nook comes a statue of said person and in front of the coffin a memorial slab.

Here are the caves. There's a shrine with "monoliths" of garnierite and olivine surrounding it, and in the lower right corner you can see underground trees.

Do not do any stuff in this area or below it (except cull grizzlies and haul stone, if there still is some here).

The "platform" on the lake.

1. Edu's Fishery
2. Vabôk's Dyery (a farmer's workshop and looms are above)
3. Poultry pen and farm plots. On the left are underground plants, on the right are surface plants (which can be used as dye).
4. Butcher's. A tanner can be found just above it.
5. Zon's and Asmel's Tailory.
6. The Guild Hall. Still not seeing much use.
7. Fisheries under Yawo's Clinic.
8. Brewery and Granary.

Datan's beehives are above the Hut of Romancing.

One z-level upwards are the original burial grounds, which are now too crowded.

Food stores are very good and we have plenty of surplus. Meat and fish can be sold to caravans if need be. Same applies to prepared meals, though don't use them as an exploit (pretend their value is significantly less).

The current population. Almost half are useless children.

Most of the stuff from my previous overview still applies. (You can read it here.)

Military & Defenses:

We have three main squads: one geared melee squad (The Fenced Princes), an archer squad (The Turquoise Veils) and a squad composed of the "monks" (The Rough Trances), which is intentionally left unarmed and unarmored.

There's two "civilian" squads, The Maroon Salves and The Whips of Acting. They're currently set on inactive, but can be set on active so they get some of their "practice martial arts" needs done.

FPS:

This has been going down. It's now around 40 on my potato, but sometimes climbs back up to 50.

Giant birds (keas especially) cause lag. I've just exterminated them with DFHack.

Issues:

The human caravan brings sometimes a barrel of "nothing". I think this is caused by my edits to make dyes out of certain plants. The plants otherwise work fine (you can mill and brew them normally), so I guess the change caused some kind of confusion when applied mid-game? (The raws work fine in a newly genned world.)

Regardless, just ignore those barrels. But if you notice some other issue, send me a message.

Speaking of raw edits and issues, to prevent any further unintended stuff from coming up, no more raw editing allowed (me included).

Other Stuff:

I've got plans for most places outside the confines of the walls, so don't do any building or landscaping or whatever there. Chopping down young/small trees is fine, but make sure you don't chop any old/big ones. There actually shouldn't be any need for new logs, since we got quite a bunch of them still.

Like I stated some time ago, we're currently at a point where we really don't need any new stuff. We have enough buildings/houses to suit our needs; there shouldn't be any new grand projects coming up, and most of the necessary production is automated. Shearing and spinning wool is something that should be done regularly and overproducing wool & plant cloth is fine. We need that stuff eventually for clothing.

So, unlike "normal" DF gameplay, focus shouldn't be on building, digging & production -- that's taken care of. What focus should be directed at is following the capies and others in their daily business, check their thoughts and needs (and address them), and if there's something interesting, a report would be nice.

Special attention should be given to the young ones. Some of them will turn twelve and become adults. I've been in my latest updates tried to put more focus on them, since they will soon be our main characters. So, when one becomes an adult, a report is warranted.

Another is deaths. This year (361) there were none when spring arrived, but I don't know what next spring entails. Deaths specifically need to be reported, so pay attention to those announcements.

If mayor/ex-baroness Kasat dies, halt your turn and upload the save. I hope this doesn't happen, but it's possible, and this is the character I've been mostly focused on, so I'd very much like to deal with the aftermath of her death. The turn can continue after I've taken care of the situation (unless some unexpected things arise -- don't know what that would be, though).

Other stuff to do: there's still unmarried capies. I haven't really tried to pair them up, but if you feel like you want to give a shot, go for it. This is why the game was started in the first place.

Yeah, I'm restricting quite a lot what you can do, sorry about that, but I want to make it less likely that there'll be stuff I don't want in the place.

My suggestion for turn length is the current year (361) and the following (362) until spring arrives on year 363. That should reduce the risk of old age deaths (unless everyone suddenly decides to die next spring).

I probably forgot things from this, but it's already way longer than intended. Sorry about that.

I'll just copy-pasta the tl;dr from before (with small edits):

TL;DR

Things lookin' good. FPS ok, but going slowly down.
Keep things small and compact. Big is bad. Big is NO-NO.
No new stockpiles -- if current ones overflow, produce less. Throw excess into garbage or trade.
No visitors allowed!
NO BARRELS IN SEED STOCKPILES!
In fact, don't use bins either (except trade goods, cloth and clothing). Especially in weapon/ammo piles!
Do not dig. We got stone.
Chop only young trees. Don't chop fungiwood trees!
Stone and wood can be ordered from caravans. Next ones should be bringing some.
Pay attention to children growing up. Also deaths. End turn if Kasat dies.
No more RAW editing.
Ask if unsure.
Have fun!

And the save:

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16135

Good luck!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 30, 2022, 01:09:12 pm »

Yeah will let you know how Kasat fairs. Gonna check the save first and see where things stand. Also won't produce too much stuff

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 30, 2022, 01:30:41 pm »

If there's anything you're unsure of what it is (or if you have plans that you're unsure of), just post a message. I'm online most of the time (when not sleeping), so I'll probably be able to respond pretty quickly (assuming I notice the post).

Oh, about overproduction: we have TONS of bone crafts. Those can be pretty much given freely to caravans (I usually give them 5-10x the value needed for the trade).

...And if you think we need new stockpiles, ask about that also. I've tried to make very specific kinds of stockpiles and avoid generic ones. They're a bit more tedious to make, but in the end I feel they help out a lot with organising stuff and reduce hauling distances.

Also, jugs tend to run out with the bee industry. I usually produce batches of 30-40 (wood or glass) when needed. I've mostly traded royal jelly away to caravans (they're a hassle to search from the trade goods list).

There's a sand collection area just above and right of the entry to the craft/forge/mine area, but it tends to get overgrown with grass. So building a dirt road over it once in a while is recommended to keep it functional.

Here's the location of said sand area:

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 30, 2022, 03:34:18 pm »

honestly, awesome. so, I have had this idea for a long time, of someone creating a sort of disneyland within DF. Or a particular DF world. A series of setpieces, grand designs, fortresses or settlements, replete with narrative and adventure potential. The idea being, to fill a world with these fortresses as part of a larger series, and give a human touch to the random canvas that is a newly generated plane. anyways Waterlures would fit right in on such a world. 

Perhaps one day DFhack will allow some kind of "fortress teleportation", and we can experience various legendary designs from across dwarven history all within the same landscape.

I'm very glad to see I've judged the animal pen size to be useful.

also, just noticing the 'ramp as roof tile' design styling for the parapets . very nice . reminds me of some of the various minecraft builds and the tricks employed there. there is something to be said about the ability of players to utilize certain visual aspects of these building blocks in place of their functional purposes, to achieve aesthetic goals. its something I admit to not being very creative at - an obsession with purpose and function, or better said a crippling pragmatism is to blame

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 30, 2022, 03:55:32 pm »

honestly, awesome. so, I have had this idea for a long time, of someone creating a sort of disneyland within DF. Or a particular DF world. A series of setpieces, grand designs, fortresses or settlements, replete with narrative and adventure potential. The idea being, to fill a world with these fortresses as part of a larger series, and give a human touch to the random canvas that is a newly generated plane. anyways Waterlures would fit right in on such a world.

You're not the only one with such ideas!

I've actually been thinking that at some point when Waterlures runs its course, whether that be a disaster or a stable population of nth generation capies (hoping for the latter), I'd very much like to start another fort in the same world. (Assuming also that I still have interest in it at that point and the save hasn't grown too large for my crappy laptop to handle. But then again, if my interest runs out, maybe someone else can continue the saga?)

In any case, if I ever get my personal mod into a playable state, I'll be doing such a world. Most likely so that I'll be sort of a Dungeon Master (=create the places and "quests") and other players would take on roles of lowly adventurers (you know, the WFRP style misfit/average person who starts from the bottom rungs of society)... (But that's a ways off still, though I hope to get something ready before December.)

I'm very glad to see I've judged the animal pen size to be useful.

Yeah, it's a perfect fit. Easy to see when it gets too crowded, animals don't scatter and as a bonus it works as a cyclops magnets.

also, just noticing the 'ramp as roof tile' design styling for the parapets . very nice . reminds me of some of the various minecraft builds and the tricks employed there. there is something to be said about the ability of players to utilize certain visual aspects of these building blocks in place of their functional purposes, to achieve aesthetic goals. its something I admit to not being very creative at - an obsession with purpose and function, or better said a crippling pragmatism is to blame

Can't remember where I learned it from (somewhere on these boards anyway when I was but a lurker), but it was one of the earliest tricks. Since then almost all my forts have had a largish above ground section (so, it's quite a many years I've had time to refine efficient building strategies).

Pragmatism or fortress efficiency on the other hand... Well, that's not something I'm good at (in fact, I'm pretty horrible at that), though Waterlures has actually quite decent hauling distances and stockpile setups.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 30, 2022, 06:22:35 pm »

State of Affairs 361

Capybara men (m:60 M:120 - Modified by BB)
Zuglar Hoursilver - Manager - 59 (1 safe year)
Luki Shaftvise - Pilgrim - 50 (10 safe years)
Ubbul Dabblegalleys - Woodcutter - 67
Brewer Bob - Chronicler - 67
Sakzul Agebronze - Bookkeeper - 67
King Zultan Scorchlancers - Bonecarver - 51 (9 safe years)
Libash Blotcoal - Pilgrim - 43 (17 safe years)
Zon Mineburned - Pilgrim - 42 (18 safe years)
Logem Weakenedpillar - Glassmaker - 27 (33 safe years)
Edu Sandtick - Weaver - 59 (1 safe year)
Likot Languagehame - Woodcrafter - 27 (33 safe years)
Lor Drinkbust - Woodcrafter - 14
Meng Fancypaddle - Pilgrim - 52
Kib Spearmobbed - Cook - 64
Kudpa Towerfrenzy - Planter - 61
Baroness Waxedtiles - Community Leader - 62
Tekkud Stardust - Astronomer - 52
Suwu Cleanmusics - Archer Captain - 52
Cusal Couragedwiped - Pilgrim - 42

Others
Plump Helmet Man - Avolition Clodcave - 68 years old (8 years above minimum max age 60, maximum max age 80) - At best as 12 years ahead of him. Well lived shroom
Elf - Fayoba Claspedleap - Sheriff - 109 - Is immortal so in theory will live for many generations
Goblin - Rin Fisthearts - 243 - Immortal as well also he is pretty old
Dwarf - Unib Hammerwhipped - 86 (150-170 max age so he has a good 70 years in him)
Badger Woman - Shebi Veilsavior - 62 (60 - 80 so has 18 years at the most left)
Dwarf - Vabok Bronzepost - 90 - (150-170 max age so 60 years before uncertainty)
Mandrill Woman - Yawo Cunningfur - 58 - (60 - 80 so two years before minimum old age hits)
Gorlak - Iteb Hammerpillars - 71 (110 -150 plenty of years left)
Elephant Woman - Song Scarredhex - 36 (60-80)
Saytr - Kumil Goldenclashed - 162 - Immortal
Elephant Man - Canar Spiritcoal - 56 (60 - 80)
Hoary Marmot Man - Asmel Earthenlures - 39 (60 - 80)
Elephant Man - Eman Corwglee - 35 (60 - 80)
Naked Mole Dog Man - Id Pucefloor - 49 (60 - 80)
Dwarf - Datan Netinked - 127 (150 -170)
Leopard Gecko Woman - Odda Leafyveil - 55 (60 - 80)
Mandrill Man - Ova Clearingcrest - 52 (60 - 80)

Also Brewer, i might need to break one of your rules. The child tag on the Capybara men is broken hence we have children aged 12 yet the according to the broken tag they mature at 1 and is moved from normal. Not sure what you want the age to be. Was looking at this to see when the oldest pup would reach adulthood. We have pups that are 12 but not adults and ones that are 14 and are adults. Not sure if inbetween years you did some modification on it.

In reguards to max age ranges since you gave them an extended max range they can in theory live 60 years past 60. Its random so its highly unlikely we will get a death cascade.

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 30, 2022, 07:48:14 pm »

Yeah, the child tag is broken originally in animal people. Haven't touched it. They don't have a baby phase, but are born as children (they head off immediately to pick up clothes).

The relevant tag in c_variation_default is [CV_NEW_TAG:CHILD:12] so they are children from birth until 12, when they then become adults. The two capies who grew up during my turn were twelve at the point, so it should work normally.

About the maxage change: I did it fairly recently, so it is applied only to the capies born in maybe the last 5 years. Older ones have it still at 60-80 (I believe death year is given during birth and won't change with simple raw modding).

Edit. Re-checked and the child tag is actually added by Modest Mod. Vanilla DF probably uses the capybara animal's child tag, which is 1?

Edit2. But if you feel like you need to change it, go for it. Just make a note what you change and what it was before change. Makes it easier to reverse.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 31, 2022, 04:22:12 am »

That's a really nice looking place you've made here.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 31, 2022, 10:45:30 am »

That's a really nice looking place you've made here.

Thanks. I'm pretty satisfied how it's turned out to be. It's also a nice place to explore as an adventurer.

Kudpa Towerfrenzy - Planter - 61

Haven't checked on this one for a while, but she's one of my favorite capies.

Every time I've looked at her thoughts, she was "feeling loathing for talking to a pillar of society." I can imagine this pretty sour old capybara lady going about her daily business, getting all pissed off when the bosses come and talk to you and tell you how you should do things and yadda-yadda. Then she heads off grumbling and snapping at anyone she sees, and it doesn't help that she's old, never found the love of her life and lives in the crappiest room in the whole village -- and to top it off, her neighbors are the goddamn bookkeeper and manager (and their disgusting children)!

(But to be fair, last I checked she was mentally doing pretty well and happy, and she actually has a rather nice personality -- she just doesn't like bosses.)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 02, 2022, 01:04:40 pm »

In any case, if I ever get my personal mod into a playable state, I'll be doing such a world. Most likely so that I'll be sort of a Dungeon Master (=create the places and "quests") and other players would take on roles of lowly adventurers (you know, the WFRP style misfit/average person who starts from the bottom rungs of society)... (But that's a ways off still, though I hope to get something ready before December.)

yeah this is cool. sign me up once you get this rolling. and try not to befoul yourself with idealized expectations.. its the kind of thing a lot of people might come out of the woodwork to play.

oh man this new version is going to be great for succession games. I hope!!

back on topic, that list is rather worrying. a LOT of old ones damn you weren't kidding.

I feel like DF is the first actual realization of the practical effects of mixed age lengths, in terms of "race" or species. in video game terms at least, I'm sure it's been written about before. but here you see the reality of the dwarf who lives amidst the short lived capys. "All those short lived friends of mine," they might say, "were gone before I really knew them."

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 02, 2022, 02:08:22 pm »

yeah this is cool. sign me up once you get this rolling. and try not to befoul yourself with idealized expectations.. its the kind of thing a lot of people might come out of the woodwork to play.

I've managed to get a lot of work done on this in the last couple of days, so currently on schedule (though, it's mostly been copy-pasta from older iterations and "simplifying"/culling stuff + fixing typos -- there's still a ridiculous amount of content that's been accumulated in the last couple years).

Idealized expectations... That's been like an issue for me for most of my life (or more like expecting others to do things my way), and at this point it's a bit hard to learn out of it, haha. But the problem of course is my attitude, not the other players. And I'm quite aware of it. Everyone has their own way to play. :)

oh man this new version is going to be great for succession games. I hope!!

I do hope so! Though I'll probably mostly keep on playing 0.47.05 until Adventure mode comes in.

back on topic, that list is rather worrying. a LOT of old ones damn you weren't kidding.

Yeah, I think I waited too long until the forced marriages. Doing it about ten years earlier would've been good, since at this point we'd be having a steady supply of new adults (who could also have their own families).

But it's also great to notice that how quickly you get to like the characters and are concerned for their well-being. At each spring's arrival I'm horrified to unpause the game in fear of someone dying of old age.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 48