Poll

Is it time for a new fortress?

OH YEAH!!!!
- 5 (83.3%)
No, Still got grudges to settle here!
- 1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: The Forests of Burning: Building the largest world conquest fort series  (Read 16086 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*slaps cloning vat* Son, we need to have a discussion about where you came from...

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright here is the save! Good luck Otto!
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=17103
The game runs substantially better on this map!
I planned to build a residential quarters on top of the fort, but didn't get around to it. Like Gateheaven feel free to disregard my designs and build how you want. I sort of was just going with the flow and had no plan in mind other than defenses.

I don't think enemies can start invading us until we have 50 dwarves(I set a cap to 30 and planned to accept no more than 30 visitors so we don't ever exceed a pop of 60) so if you feel the military is ready on your turn feel free to start raiding and that'll start the invasion timer early!

We adopted a goblin monster slayer who is an infamous goblin killer, but thats fine with us

Iton got hit by a mood and before I could stop him he grabbed copper to make a metal artifact. I screamed at the top of my lungs because we had a pile of iron sitting right next to the workshop, but thankfully Iton decided to make a stupid artifact!

I had the honors of finishing the drowning chamber

Enemies will have to push through our drowning chamber. It will seal behind them and drown those who are too slow. Those fast enough will have to advance straight into our trap hall.

I did start having the crew work on cutting gems. For some reason a dwarf was trying to cut a sapphire and he somehow turned it into a scepter? He cannot explain his actions and neither can I.

Speaking of our Neblime clone this one is a legendary warrior too!

Despite all my warnings workers insist on taking naps out in the fields outside our fortress! The fools will be the first to die!

With our defenses mostly done it was time to start building military equipment.

Yes, you read it right. I had twenty hives made and installed on top of our fort! Some dwarves were very confused and asked me why I just think they're neat!
I'm in my beekeeping era

Merchants arrived with news: Capital is under siege!

Castle of Luteglen was abandoned which means the vampire that was being held there has been set loose. Gotta keep our eyes peeled.

The merchants took us seriously and freshly milked dwarf mothers before turning it into cheese. Yes, we did buy some.

Hey an artifact

I gave it to Salmeuk and now he has to carry it with him everywhere he goes

I was in the process of installing windows around the surface layer for increased vigilance, but I won't finish before I have to pass on my overseer title. Parts are here though!

Another dwarf napping! The trees are speaking elvish I tell you! You're all gonna die!

When not napping in fields the dwarves like to ponder the vagaries of suicide

Our adopted goblin complained about not getting enough alcohol so we got a tavern keeper. Basically the goblin complained at me and I picked the first dwarf I saw, which was Flint, who at the time was praying to the god of death for sweet release.

Salmeuk is judging other dwarves retelling of his appointment to expedition leader

another problem I leave for my successor: Across the river dingoes are breeding in large numbers and forming their own kingdom. Troglodytes are doing the same.

Human treasure hunters keep coming here. This one is looking for a artifact from Gateheaven

Tonnot went from a veteran on the verge of total insanity to one of the happiest dwarves in the fort. Yay!

If this isn't an necromancer or vampire shave my beard and call me a she-elf

I leave my post satisfied that I have killed many of the surrounding trees and built defenses to butcher our enemies! Let the grudges be fulfilled!
Fortress Tour:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*stares deeply into the artifact smokey quartz gemstone, only drooling a little bit*

.. uhhhh ... huhwhat now? !

Good luck Otto! don't drop me a !!save file!! when ur done

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks! This looks nice. Some calm before the storm. Could be i can't start sooner than in a couple days but i'll let you know when i do

Edits:

Legends time. Ah okay right the Neblime situation is my bad, i forgot to add a "2" to the second one? I think i did that? 'Neblime' Singedlens, male dwarf, was killed by the hydra in 152.
'Neblime' Sabreblazed is from a different civ and settled in Gateheaven in 153. And now there's 'Neblime II' Pickhope, a fresh Earthenjungle dwarf.

There's two 'Salmeuks' (dead dwarf + dwarven child) plus 'Salmeuk the Enduring' (dead) and 'Salmeuk II'. Oohh the confusion
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 05:37:15 am by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!
Zulbanunal - Bannerblunts
Bardumiseth - Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile

Good work Maloy!

I am pretty sure that dwarven milk/cheese comes from purring maggots. I don't know if that is better or worse than the alternative...
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interlude

I start reading the note again. It’s from Nish ‘OttoK’, my namesake. He copied it from a section of his diary, which he had planned to publish when the war is over. Like that would ever happen… I sigh and examine the crooked letters again, letting the text transport me back to Inoddasel, Gateheaven.

I returned to the City of the Dead. This time I avoided the long corridors of coffins, and instead visited the mausoleums of the overseers. ‘Maloy’, ‘Neblime’, ‘Salmeuk’, ‘Kesperan’… All killed in the most cruel and undignified ways, while I continue to cheat death. I feel tired.

I heard mumbling in the adjoining tomb-chamber. “I throw aside old names, titles and clans. Hereby shall I be known as: Maloy Fernboulder!”
I step into the torch-light, to protect the peace of the mausoleum. “Who are you?”
“I am ‘Maloy’. I’ve taken the name. Who are you?”
“I’m Lancerbridged, the former expedition leader, I’ve been running things for the past year and a half.”

I had a conversation with the strange dwarf, and during the course of it, I must have expressed my deep desire to stand down and rest. At the end of it, this Fernboulder touched my shoulder and relieved me of duty. I saw that he was determined to lead the fort. I had no reason to contest this.

The following months were brutal, with armies marching in and out of the mesa, necromancers and death. Maloy’s military tactics brought sites under Inoddasel’s control, but he himself became a prisoner of the goblin-humans of the ‘Union of Frenzy’ at Luteglen. Then our queen was killed by the elven war animals in a foolhardy assault on their groves.

The kingship was contested again and the one who claimed it was a human, from our hated enemy, the Union. There is some great irony in that, don’t you think?

I shrug, shoving the crumbled parchment into my pocket, before the constant rain of the jungle ruins it. I’m not sure if I understand the irony. ‘Astralathius’ seems to have won the support of the Inoddasel dwarves, but to me, Monom 'Otto_K II' Bootpulled, he’s just an impostor king, plain and simple. Maybe this war will never end, but the kingship of the Standard of Control should at least be our own.

Earthenjungles: Book of Spring
Year 161

Springtime, year 161. I start working on the waterfalls again, now that I got a taste of how effective they were in Gateheaven. I plan four waterfall shafts instead of two. I realize that I may have gone for a design that’s too spread out. Putting a waterfall in the middle would have made more sense. Oh well, at least I can use either the intake or the outflow to easily create a cistern for a well along it.

Another benefit: I can use the draining tunnels to drain some of the stagnant ponds. I plan to build the drowning chamber and its corpse stockpile open to the sky, to prevent miasma from forming. I set up a Quantum stockpile to store some of the logs resulting from all the clear-cutting.

Img 1: Migrants

I’m pretty uncomfortable playing with just 30 dwarves, and I saw the opportunity to increase the ranks of the civilization. So I set the population cap to 40, and sure enough, a proper migrant wave of void-spawned newcomers appears, complete with dwarven children.

Calamity has come, in werekangaroo shape. Werekangaroo Ringleader Hok Devsemseto (Confusedbeans) is here! The military recruit Edzul Stukosardes and the innkeeper Urdim ‘Flint’ Subtlerock are bitten. The creature could have spread the curse through them, but its dark urges led it to tear them to shreds and kill them on the spot. Some mercy there. Our livestock running around outside also tanked some bites which was quite useful.

The manager ‘Neblime’ bravely stood toe to toe with the kangaroo monster, and even though she was punched and scratched, she wasn’t bitten, and she skillfully beat the creature. With the deaths of the infected confirmed, there is peace once more.

Img 3, 4: Werekangaroo Hok Devsemseto, and the heroism of 'Neblime'

Damn it. Coincidences, accidents... Fate seems to always have something planned for us. As the battle ended and one 'Neblime' triumphed, I went to the creature screen to check some things, when I noticed 'Neblime II' was drowning. There was nothing left to do. I'm sorry

Img 5: 'Neblime II' in the river
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 12:06:16 pm by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am going to pave over that whole river next time my turn comes around lol

Water is the bane of all of our existence I think.

Gonna go ahead and write a grudge against it

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Earthenjungles: Book of Summer
Year 162

I traded with the civ, selling them 3 silver minecarts, 1 sapphire and broken clothes, buying all of their leather, cloth and plump helmets.

I’ve tamed a lot of kea and a pair of dingoes. The wild dingo pack has been eliminated. The fort is living on plump helmets, kea eggs and fish, which is plentiful in the river. I turned DFHack’s Tailor on after buying cloth to produce some new clothes. In year 162, clothing has caught up with the demand and everybody's pretty well dressed.

I’m trying to produce everything at once, from tables to steel to bins, clothes, food etc. and also building and excavating, so I know I’m overworking the dwarves but that’s how I play.
There was a hilarious mini siege of animals, and then a raid of snatchers and goblin archers, beaten by the military squad. Later another animal group sieged us. War dogs and horses with human names, accompanied with farm animals. WEIRD…

Img 2, 3: Elven ambush

There was a small elven raid: some elves, a war bobcat and two masked lovebird people. Meanwhile, I made the waterfall intakes too powerful and they’re draining the whole river. I’m going back to drawing board to make them more reasonable.

The dwarves took a detour past the construction site of the corpse pits, while the elves cleverly crossed the dried-up riverbed, allowing them to enter the surface compound.

The elves and a lovebird man, Enure Jumpnotched, were killed at the river, while the lovebird woman, Lefari Fatalsatins, was shooting at our livestock and ‘Tom Cruise’, who wisely retreated outside, past the cage trapped door. Fatalsatins followed and was trapped.

Img 4: Minotaur attack and moody 'Bruce Willis'

Img 5: Minotaur VS 'AGayOleTime' in the tree

Img 6: Minotaur combat log

Then came the Minotaur, Nawara Slaughterzephyr. Id ‘AGayOleTime’ Fierychannel jumped into a tree, the minotaur followed and butchered her with ease, goring the militiadwarf with her horn. Then the militia commander attacked the minotaur, and it fell down. One wrestler punched the minotaur in the tongue, collapsing its cheek. Another broken bone made it give in, and the commander hammered its brain through the skull.

‘Bruce Willis’, one of the starter dwarves, had a problem. Having been possessed by a mood, he had been spooked by the goblin raiders, and spooked again by the minotaur, until he found himself in the new drowning pit, standing like an idiot. I turned on the water intake, and being thrown around by the water seems to have cleared his head. He finished the artefact, which is a relief as he has many close friends.

The corpse pit was ready, and the atom smasher minecart route was turned on. It should be safe to run it all the time, for automated corpse disposal. It's all open to sky so no miasma, but it rains ALL THE TIME so that means working in the rain. I imagine miasma is still worse?

Just in time, for a goblin force arrived, asking for parley. I finished some of the construction and then refused them. Sadly they were great swimmers and refused to drown, and several ones broke into the compound and made it to the roof, as well as the underground areas. Finally they were all wiped out. I need to put a retractable bridge on top of the drowning chamber to counter the swimmers.

Img 7: New drowning chamber and the corpse dump with atom smasher

« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 06:31:28 pm by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Img 1: Werehyena is here!

Earthenjungles: Book of Fall
Year 163

With the autumn of 162 came the second werecreature. What nature’s spell is drawing them all here? Duka Ejedega, Werehyena. Charging toward the fort, it fell upon Shorast ‘StarPike220’, veteran of Gateheaven, killing him, that was sad. ‘Vistuvis’ was its next target, but she dodged every attack.

Then, the inexperienced pickdwarf (I tried making a pick squad) Moldath ‘Crispy’ Shovepaints joined the fray. He was badly bitten, but eventually he prevailed and the werehyena bled out from injuries given by ‘Crispy’.

The doctors operated on all the recent wounded, including ‘Crispy’. He woke up in the nick of time and I told him to go patrol an underground room, which I sealed off. Now the howls of werehyena can be heard every month from below, near the river.

Img2: 'Crispy', locked away under the waves

So, these goblins. They’re from our old enemy the Dungeon of Crazes, who seem to be very much alive and causing us misery. The next time the goblins showed up, it was a siege of 60, but we were ready.

About 10 goblins made it through the new drown room, and were killed by the squaddwarves. Most of the goblins were catched by the water and drowned. The 15 survivors broke siege and ran away.

Img 3: Drowning goblins

Soon after, an ambush. Curse all friends of nature! Surely it is a small ambush like before? But then the horrifying screams of giant mountain goats and giant wombats were heard from the water room.

In panic, I messed up, and left the intake and emptying both on AT THE SAME TIME, making the intake useless. The room didn’t fill, and the elves continued their march. ‘G0rd0n’ and ´Jimbus´ also flew into combat without their gear, but SOMEHOW they survived with superficial damage.

I still think the water helped. It slowed the elves and their animals down, and the dwarves advanced through the scattered army, picking off targets. In the end, the dwarves pushed them out of the water room, and they broke siege.

Img 4, 5: Elves, giant goats, giant wombats

Huge amounts of elephant meat were harvested. I learned that placing a corpse stockpile on the elephant corpses helps dwarf AI to accept the butcher tasks. In the end, I ordered the clear-cutting of all trees near the surface stronghold. But almost at once, this act of defiance was answered by the fury of the forest.

Omba, the Forest Titan.

Aaaanndd, with that, I really should be passing the save already. Would be unfair to hoard it forever when there’s fun and web-spitting beasts to share with the next player.

I’m actually terrified by webbers so that’s that, I give up on trying to deal with that

Img 6: Howls of hyenas, raging Titans...

« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 12:07:50 pm by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, that's the end of my turn because I DO NOT want to fight that thing

Good luck, sorry

Save file:
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=17110

Final thoughts:
  • Forest Titan
  • Drowning room works pretty well + the atom smasher
  • I tried waterfalls but I couldn't get them to work without draining the whole river so I gave up
  • We have LOTS of food, clothes etc
  • The surface keep is hideous ugly wooden mess with some mad scientist waterwheel powered pumpworks etc
  • Idk what else, it's a fort

Edit:

Fort tour:
The surface compound. See water room intake and empty mechanisms

Cellar level with drown room, corpse stockpile, well, block and meat stockpiles, and werehyena prison

Level -2 with pasture, failed aqueducts, well reservoir top, and control room for waterfall aqueducts

Level -3 with clothing workshops

Main underground floor, with temple, bedrooms, smithing area and dining hall

« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 05:27:27 am by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ooooh fun times! Fort is looking good though!

Good luck, Salmeuk

Maybe the titan is doable because it is sitting on a corner? I've been able to jump them before they spray webs by having dwarves come around corners so the monster doesn't see them until they're right on top

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

aw fk you give me coral webslinger??

whatta you think i  am around here, the janitor?! the clean-up crew?
Ooooh fun times! Fort is looking good though!

Good luck, Salmeuk

Maybe the titan is doable because it is sitting on a corner? I've been able to jump them before they spray webs by having dwarves come around corners so the monster doesn't see them until they're right on top

I actually just killed one with this method, a giant hornbill. not sure if it's the best idea to risk a shared fortress on it however

The surface keep is hideous ugly wooden mess with some mad scientist waterwheel powered pumpworks etc
Idk what else, it's a fort

these are just the sorts of indispensable notes I need, to prepare my sanity, as I delve into the burning forests.. pray for me

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

======

diary of Salmeuk II
 9th Felsite, 163

I have suddenly been informed that I have become Expedition Leader.
 Otto_K II came screaming down the stairs and pointed directly at me, stated "This is your problem now," then ran off to perform some menial task very, very far away from the surface entrances.
 Curious. Yet, not out of character for Otto_K, who has been leading this fortress of Earthenjungles the Forest of Burning for the past year and, in doing so, revealed a certain number of eccentric character traits.
 For instance, Otto_K II is bad with words
, as demonstrated by his curt phrasing during this moment.
 Regardless, the burden of leadership now fell upon my (oh so broad) shoulders. I had recently turned 60, yet felt like I was 30!
 I decided to take a tour of the fortress and review the various elements of defense and labor.
 The surface was a complex array of wooden structures, with a single doorway and gate to the south. Through the gate led to our trade depot, a modest meeting hall for non-citizen visitors, and then another room which led into an inner courtyard full of livestock and various workshops.
 Taking the eastern path led you into the 'drowning trap', as it had become known - a haphazard set of bridges covering a soggy pit full of old clothing, that could be filled and drained as desired. Usually, you wait until the goblins are inside.
 One floor below are a series of drainage canals and also an underground fungal field, which houses a number of geese and a budding herd of war elephants.
 Two more floors down was a small facility for producing textiles.
 Five more floors and you enter into what might be described as the 'main hall.'
 A number of glorious artifacts sit upon pedestals, and hallways branch off into a series of bedrooms, food stores, furniture piles, and a somewhat chaotic dining hall.
 Finally, another five or so levels down was the first layer of caverns. We had not dug any deeper - yet.

It was during this tour of the fortress that I discovered the horrible truth of my sudden promotion.
 There, beyond the southern door, towered a horrible beast: "Omba the Lavender Woods" was a huge humanoid composed of coral with a long, swinging trunk and careless movement.
 It was also a webslinger........

At this moment, 'Bruce Willis', Local Hero and Legedary Woodcrafter, rounded the corner and was immediately webbed, picked up, and kicked in the head. This exploded the head, and 'Bruce Willis' was no more.
 Nearby, a skink looked on in horror.

What was Earthenjungles to do about this 'Omba'?
 We had only a handful of experienced fighters, including 'Maloy II' and others, but it seemed far to risky to take on this websliger in a melee.
 Perhaps it would drown, or could be trapped.
 A plan was hatched to goad the monster into a trap.

Meanwhile, 'Omba' seemed content to camp outside our doorway. The skink had calmed down and the two had struck up a conversation, thought I'm not sure what shared topic of discussion might occur between these two creatures.
 A hapless bard interrupted - and was quickly mush-ified by the fearsome 'Omba', whose coral limbs proved deadly.

A small hallway, spiralling in the sand, was dug, and two bridges built and linked to nearby levers. A third backup bridge was also constructed.
 The plan was to dig a ramp, let 'Omba' walk into the hallway, slam shut the bridges, and then laugh and laugh ..

Cacame Grizzleswamps the Monster Slayer arrived only to discover the corpse of 'Bruce Willis' decaying in the hot jungle air.
 "What had happened . . .?" thought Cacame.
  Turning around, the hulking form of 'Omba' lurched out of the forest, slowly but surely pursuing Cacame.

Yet, 'Omba' then broke off pursuit, seemingly interested in that southern doorway exclusively. It was then that I discovered a completely unprotected staircase led directly into the heart of the fortress! Yet 'Omba' cared not to use this staircase, and for that I was thankful.
 The spiral trap was prepared, and the ramp dug, when all of a sudden - goblin war horns!

A siege had arrived. What would happen now??

Well, first things first: Maloy II decided to madly rush out of the fortress in pursuit of ... what exactly? Literally nothing? No one understands that dwarf, yet, they were the most capable fighter, so perhaps they felt the urge to rush out and fight.
 Who knows. It was an uncontrollable event.
 Meanwhile, 'Omba' did not care in the slightest. What a strange creature...

Maloy II was a superb fighter and quickly destroyed the goblin attackers.
 'Omba' took this moment to ... attack a hapless wild echidna?

We used this time to recover the bodies of the fallen. A dwarf named 'Folgsam' had also fallen to 'Omba'.

The next month was uneventful. 'Omba' was sequestered to the northeastern corner of the map, trying to punt an echidna and failing horribly..

I ordered the end to this training of keas. Keas are horrible creatures and to think that we might waste good food on their appeasement, or even attempt to cultivate goodwill between our species.. not on my watch!
 More important creatures like the red pandas would be trained, instead. This is the dwarven way.

On the 26th of Hematite, a giantess arrived. 'Thab Seridgirus Sestah Omthu' had approached from the eastern forests, yet she too stood transfixed before the southern door.
 Something was curious about this place, that attracted these creatures so.

The squad was assembled, yet before most could arrive 'Gordonfreeman' was distracted by a flock of wild keas and chased them right into the view of the giantess.
 'jimbusKhan' rushed to help, and the two dwarves smashed the attacking giantess to pieces.

Quick! Back into the fortress before 'Omba' finished that echidna.

I decided to construct a proper dining hall in the underground. The walls would be made of stone blocks, and it would be centered near to the artifact display hall.

Our forges were halted for the time being - free hands were needed for cleaning and constructing.

In mid-Summer of 163, I took stock of the steel weapons and armor.
 Thankfully, my predecessors wrought many a useful item from the dwarven metal.
 Our fortess contains:

9 steel war hammers
  16 steel picks
  100 steel bars

and enough armor sets to equip 18 fighters.

I've heard echidnas carry strange diseases... maybe Omba will catch one. Echidna-pox or something.

The new dining hall / dance floor is almost complete.
 Copper and jet tiles arranged in a circle designate the proper space for performances.
 Soon, tables will be installed in the wings of the room.. and a food storage is planned as well.

Autumn has arrived. 'Omba' continues to batter the poor echidna, but for now, it is distracted.

Except, what's this? 'Omba' is back!

Orders were put in for a full set of steel mail (extra protection for the squad) and ten steel battle axes, which would equip the next group of trainees.. whenever that occurred.

The ultimate purpose of Earthenjungles was to build up a professional squad of fighters to assault nearby enemy positions.
 Instead, we cower in fear of a coral beast inside our fortress of wood and ... more wood.
 Something MUST be done about 'Omba'!

A sickly wolf was spotted wandering past the jungle pond.

Yet, our greed for wood (we had mismanaged the smelters, you see, and run out of fuel) led us to venture out .
 I thought I told the dwarves to stay to the west, beyond the range of 'Omba'. but they must have strayed, or 'Omba' finally decided the time was right, for the creature had killed 'Lanix7' the weaver and was threatening to take more lives as it approached the western entrance.
  So too did 'Anthoric' the weaver, 'Trellis' the doctor, 'MusicalMet' 'anObserver' 'dubAstley'   
  also fell.

The others, including venerable 'Otto_K II', escaped inside.
  However, 'Drolnogard' the furnace operator had been locked outside, and now faced 'Omba' alone.
  "How fragile are we... Begone fear!" he shouted.
  Suddenly, he was overcome with a great strength and scrambled up and over the wooden walls separating the jungle from the safety of the fortress.

It was on the 7th of Sandstone, 163, when 'Omba' finally learned how to climb walls.
  The hulking beast used its long trunk to vault over the wooden walls.. directly into our hall of traps! HaHA!
  And yet, this hall of traps contained only a handful of traps on the far side. . but it could be easily locked.

I decided to take matters into my own hands and ensure these doors were locked.
 Somehow, I became lost in the turning hallways and walked in to the hall of traps from the wrong side entirely. A sharp turn in the room prevented me from noticing 'Omba' before it was too late.

'Salmeuk II' was killed by 'Omba' in much the same way as the dozen or so that had died before . A swift kick to the head

As is customary, the dwarves of 'Earthenjungles' held an immediate vote to decide the next expedition leader.
 'JimbusKhan' was chosen.
 If you recall, 'JimbusKhan' was the slayer of 'Thab' the giantess this previous summer.

On the 21st of Sandstone, some migrants arrived.
 'Nimtike' and 'Brungle' were among the new dwarves, who carefully snuck into the western doorway, past the lurking 'Omba', who had continued its door camping activities, but this time it was somewhat blocked in by walls.

'Brungle', one of the migrants, claimed to have minor combat experience. When questioned further, he revealed it was a fight with a hoary marmot woman in Gateheaven.
 Any dwarf who survived Gateheaven must be tough.. or lucky.
 'Brungle' was promoted to Spear Captain and new weapons were forged. Four others would be assigned to fight under this command.

The dwarves spent the late weeks of Autumn smoothing the bedrooms.
 Cabinets and chests were still needed - the clothes were starting to pile up.

A new hospital was constructed near the artifact hall. It was named after the late 'Trellis', who was one of the fortresses main doctors.
 Nowadays it was 'Doc Mitchell' who took care of most of the patients. Though it must be noted, no patients have survived long enough to make it to the hospital as of late.. 'Omba' has made sure of that fact.

On the 7th of Moonstone, goblins attacked.
 The dwarves met them in the spiral sand hallway. 'Neblime' arrived early on and fought valiantly.
 The claustrophobic walls worked against the bowgoblins, who could not find a shot in those twisting passageways.

Everyone had a chance to engrave their own artwork on the floor of the new tavern. 'Drolnogard' chose to draw an image of a cheese.
 Nothing else. Just .. cheese.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 03:35:37 am by Salmeuk »

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OMG, I wasn't expecting so many to be killed. Has any other creature killed this many of our dwarves? At least, it made for very interesting reading!

This exploded the head, and 'Bruce Willis' was no more.
 A dwarf named 'Folgsam' had also fallen to 'Omba'.
for the creature had killed 'Lanix7' the weaver and was threatening to take more lives as it approached the western entrance.
 So too did 'Anthoric' the weaver, 'Trellis' the doctor, 'MusicalMet' 'anObserver' 'dubAstley'
'Salmeuk II' was killed by 'Omba' in much the same way as the dozen or so that had died before . A swift kick to the head

RIP to the fallen dwarves

The others, including venerable 'Otto_K II', escaped inside.

What the heck... I don't know if it's luck or cowardice, but my dwarves seem to have a supernatural ability to just not die

Also I'm happy to see that 'G0rd0nFreeman' and 'JimbusKhan' are doing so well

I ordered the end to this training of keas. Keas are horrible creatures and to think that we might waste good food on their appeasement, or even attempt to cultivate goodwill between our species.. not on my watch!
 More important creatures like the red pandas would be trained, instead. This is the dwarven way.

Red pandas need to eat bamboo. Unless we have some, If you release them, they WILL die. They must stay in cages, as precious trophies

Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am determined to keep creating Salmeuks until one finally sticks around.

It might be Salmeuk the 67th, but one of these will have a survivors instinct lol
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]