Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Survivor's Guilt - A story  (Read 3490 times)

Ibu Muffintakers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Survivor's Guilt - A story
« on: March 28, 2008, 02:04:00 pm »

7 dwarves, 9 units of dwarven rum, and a haunted glacier within spitting distance of two goblin settlements.  18 points total on the embark.  This is the story of Urninch, the foolhardy venture of a doomed band of dwarves.  This is the only way that I could think of to survive on so little.  If there's interest, I'll write more as the game progresses.

----

By all that is right, it should have been someone else writing this.

Lokum, our leader, claimed to know what he was doing.  He lured us all with tales of an oasis in the wilds of the frozen North.  We believed him, fools that we were.  None of us had any prospects to speak of but a life of toil in the mines, working for a pittance, making the damned King richer every day.

"For the honor of our ancestors!" he cried.  "For the glory of ourselves, and the honor of our courageous ambition!  A rich land, lost to the eyes of men and elves, the rock rich with ores and gems!  With our hands and the iron in our souls, we will craft a settlement where no dwarf is beholden to another!"  The glitter of gold in our eyes, we listened, enraptured.  Fool.  And greater fools, we six, for listening.  By my mother's beard, we deserve what we've gotten, and I the most of all.

I have no wish to remember, or to recount, the trials our inexperienced band withstood to get to this Armok-forsaken wasteland.  Suffice it to say that we were unprepared, and when we reached the ice... Our poorly-built, poorly-driven wagon was never meant for this terrain.  We broke a wheel, and the legs of our animals.

We had nothing but two barrels of rum that had remained miraculously unbroken and the flesh of our animals.  It would never sustain the group until the supply caravan from our homeland could find us.

We made a pact.  We would sit, and die, without touching the remaining supplies.  The last survivor, the dwarf that was proven strongest, would claim the lot, and hole up as well as possible until the caravan arrived.

We waited, and slowly froze.  They slept.  I didn't.  I drank.  It wasn't much, so help me, it wasn't much, but it was enough.  One by one they died, and the snow has claimed their bodies, and with them, all traces of my betrayal - save the empty hole where my soul once was.  I have paid a price for my life, and am paying it still.

And now I wait.  By day I see twin plumes of smoke, one from the southeast, one from the southwest, carrying foul smells on the wind.  By night I hear screams - they are faint but they haunt my nightmares.  I believe it is the Twisted Ones - the Goblins.  It won't be long before they realize I'm here.  If they're lucky, there will be something left for them.  

I have fashioned myself crude armor and a crossbow from the butchered remains of our animals.  Though I've seen nothing moving since we arrived, I have seen tracks that... I would swear I was seeing the footprints of a polar bear, except that only the bones have left any sign in the snow.  

I would rather not think about this any more.  I have lost my body and soul to this accursed ice, and everything in me that was good and Dwarven.  What more can any horror take from me now?  I fight now at the gates of Hell.  Survival is all that is left.

ime flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Survivor's Guilt - A story
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 05:50:00 pm »

Reminds me of a Minotaur Hermit fort I made back in 2d.

I like it.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 07:29:00 pm »

DF has so many masters of literature on it.

Keep this up!

..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »

I'm eager to see how you survive without a pick.  Your meat supply will degrade from the cold, you yourself will freeze, and you probably won't be able to craft enough goods to buy anything from the caravan.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 03:00:00 am »

Well, he's got no way to get below ground until he buys a pick.

He's got three wood from the wagon, which I'm guessing is what the workshops are built from. He can destroy the shops and build new ones as he needs, and will need all the wood if he wants a Trade Depot, which he'll definitely need.

He does have enough booze to last one dwarf 'till autumn. Food stockpiles will keep the supplies fresh a little bit longer than just sitting in the wagon will. Hunting could also provide him with some food until the wagons come, if there are actual animals anywhere around, and the dead animals will help, too (1 Wood -> Kitchen -> Tallow and Horse Meat Roasts). He could then trade excess food or the clothing of the six dead dwarves to the merchants for a pick, more booze and food, and some other essential supplies.

I don't know how he's going to avoid freezing, but I also don't know *if* he'll freeze before autumn comes and he can dig a tunnel to somewhere warm. The really chancy part is the food - if there's no animals on the map, he might have himself a peck of trouble.

Or, if there are goblin towers actually *on* the map, he could try sneaking into one and stealing their supplies, but I wasn't sure if that was the case or not.

Ibu Muffintakers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »

No energy to do this in character, but here's a quick update.

BigStrongMuscle was pretty much dead on - I kept that one dwarf alive until Autumn by eating the pack animals and building / taking down workshops as necessary.  The meat supply lasted fine - I just designated a food stockpile on the surface, which keeps it from rotting, even with temperature turned on.  When the caravan came in the fall, I traded the clothes of the dead dwarves for food, booze, and a pick, and dug out a small cave.  I holed up until the next autumn and traded more clothes and some prepared meals for more booze and food.  The year after that I got 29 immigrants in two waves, and the elves started to show up.  

Right now I've got 1000 units of booze, 500 units of food, and 30 dwarves, so things are looking fine.  I'm mostly buying cheese, milk, sugar, wheat, and meat, and making prepared meals for trade.  I imagine that eventually the caravans won't be enough to support the populace (my popcap is at 300, just to see how far I can go with this.)

Farming is an option but I've never quite gotten the water trick to work on a glacier.  I suspect I'm doing something wrong.

My prediction: Dwarves begin starving, and dying, and then everybody else goes berserk, and the fort collapses from within.  Or the goblins get us (they aren't directly on the map, by the way.)  I'm going to try to either get the population up to 300 or last 10 years, whichever comes first.

ime flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 04:40:00 am »

HaHA!  So, the Woodsman remains the supreme hermit after all!  

I should probably get around to updating that story, then...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 05:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I should probably get around to updating that story, then...</STRONG>

While you're at it, PM Toady to move it to the proper forum (this one).

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 01:14:00 am »

I made a comment about it in that "I'm here to destroy the world" thread, but I think it got passed by...  I'll notify him.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 11:51:00 pm »

quote:
Orignally posted by Kagus:
HaHA! So, the Woodsman remains the supreme hermit after all!

Actually KAgus, while the Woodsman is truly awesome I think there a a 2d dwarf you are forgetting about and this dwarf's name is Urist. Although she doesn't remain a hermit forever, she is by far the most awesome hermit ever in my opinion. Don't take it as an insult I love the Woodsman (have you decided on his name yet?) but I think Urist is the most awesome.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 12:07:00 am »

Supreme hermit this version.  I'm well aware of crazy Urist and her cat, it's just that she doesn't exist in 38c.

Tablen Arue

• Bay Watcher
  • Roll the dice, the RNG god is my friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 09:35:10 pm »

Let the journal live on again, let us see the aftermath of this story.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 09:43:16 pm by Tablen Arue »
You either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain