Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Programmers  (Read 9802 times)

FlexibleDogma

• Bay Watcher
  • xGiant Cave Spider Silk Sockx Merchant
    • View Profile
Re: Programmers
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2008, 09:46:05 am »

I'm a webmonkey, so I end up working with perl, php, javascript, and SQL mainly.  I work for a small 30 person company that does not have a technology focus, so I do all the client-facing webstuff as well as the care and feeding of all the internal servers and employee machines.  While being able to make all the tech and purchasing decisions is cool, it's also means if I'm swearing at myself when I go "Who programmed this mess?", "What idiot decided to go with this vendor?", etc.  (Fortunately that doesn't happen very often.)

I also know enough Python, C, C++ and Java to be dangerous, but being a webmonkey and sysadmin is what pays the bills.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2008, 09:56:56 am »

Yo, I do C++.

Tis very fun.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

DgnBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been nauseated by the sun lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2008, 12:07:51 pm »

One more here. SDET Java and Flash.

-DB
Urist McKitten has been ecstatic lately. Urist McKitten can has cheezburger lately.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.

Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2008, 12:40:10 pm »

I'm currently employed as a programmer of scientific simulations (as well as programming as a hobby). I know C/C++, Java, C#, JavaScript, FORTRAN, x86 ASM, and lua.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2008, 12:56:20 pm »

I programmed ASCII Pong in Pascal, but beyond that, I have preeeetty much zero experience.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2008, 02:02:29 pm »

I make 3D simulators for a living (not by myself mind you), although my background is in applied physics. Mostly programming in C++, but I like Fortran and python as well.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2008, 04:01:43 pm »

I make 3D simulators for a living (not by myself mind you), although my background is in applied physics. Mostly programming in C++, but I like Fortran and python as well.

Got any negative refraction paperweights yet?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2008, 04:20:53 pm »

Got any negative refraction paperweights yet?

Yeah, I'm trying to build myself a cloaking device. Actually, all I have is a couple of polarizers I accidentally pilfered from a lab and never remembered to return.

personjerry

• Bay Watcher
  • Big Towers = Fun Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2008, 08:33:57 pm »

I like to brag. I do C/C++, Ruby/Ruby on Rails, some basic HTML, and Flash.

And I'm young (think pubescent teen), but, heh, i'm not immature as people generally stereotype to us.
SPOILER ALERT
Build a Trade Depot anywhere on the map.  now hold Shift+D (Depot access display) while viewing a Z-level that has been completely untouched by miners.  All 'normal' stone areas will have big red D's all over them.  Any area with *any* sort of site feature will be blank (no D's). 

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2008, 04:44:07 am »

PHP-based web developer here (including all usual stuff like AJAX, SQL and so on, but no flash).

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2008, 12:29:24 pm »

I do Basic (lol), Java/C/C++, and a bit of asm. Currently studying software engineering.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2008, 12:41:47 pm »

Minor. I fooled around with VB to make a treasure generator for D&D that combined words from text files. It was quirky and probably the lamest way to do it.

I've messed around with simple HTML. Nothing to be proud about.

I also fooled around with RPGmaker or something for a while. Again, nothing special.

And I programmed for Ultima Online freeshards in Sphere 55i for about two years. I'm confident that I could script every gameplay system in the server given time and interest, but the emulator scene has moved on and I'd have to relearn a lot. And I never got into server administration.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2008, 12:55:43 pm »

And I'm young (think pubescent teen), but, heh, i'm not immature as people generally stereotype to us.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2008, 01:22:10 pm »

Me calling myself a programmer would probably be an overstatement, but I can read most code that's english-based, and I can write something in it as long as it follows at least some of the common structures like if clauses, loops, and so on.

I did make the pretty Modbase thing, but that's more a project of boredom than actual work - it's VB.NET, so as to think better.
All in all, I can probably manage C/C++/C#, Basic of all kinds, Delphi, and even something like Logo (you wouldn't believe the crazy stuff we did with that at school...). Can't say I'm adequately proficient in anything that doesn't come with an equivalent of MSDN help libraries.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

personjerry

• Bay Watcher
  • Big Towers = Fun Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2008, 09:58:45 am »

lol it was one of those times when you get tired of always trying not to brag
but still, generally I'm a good kid  ;D
SPOILER ALERT
Build a Trade Depot anywhere on the map.  now hold Shift+D (Depot access display) while viewing a Z-level that has been completely untouched by miners.  All 'normal' stone areas will have big red D's all over them.  Any area with *any* sort of site feature will be blank (no D's). 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11