Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 164

Author Topic: Blockedlance - No More Stops Until Ragnarok!  (Read 419710 times)

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Blockedlance - Grave of a Thousand Dwarves
« Reply #1275 on: November 07, 2009, 10:07:21 pm »

Good grief.

I wouldn't see Queen-Overlord Urist as one who would want out of Blockedlance

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1276 on: November 07, 2009, 10:11:10 pm »

Spring of 238

The artifact adamantine grate has pushed us over the 10 million dwarfbuck mark.  I didnt want to embarass Argonnek, but I guess I should give him credit for making the damn thing.  If it hadnt been a named, Armok worshiping dwarf that wasted our adamantine, I would have thrown him in magma.

The drought of dolomite continues to stall the pyramid construction.  The miners spend many months digging out an extension to the moat and hauling the dolomite to the pyramid.  It takes the rest of 237 and the beginning of 238 to build just one more layer to the pyramid.

A couple demons came at the end of 237 but they were quickly slaughtered.  My idea of replacing the goblin and elf non-menaces with demon menaces isnt really turning out the way I hoped.  But at least the demons dont leave mountains of junk when they die.

Eagle continued to chop the few tower caps that grew in his cave down and turn them into charcoal to smelt limonite.  It would take many years to smelt all the limonite in his cave...but he had all the time in the world.

Urist and the Duke remain just friends, but their social skills are slowly approaching legendary status.  I hold out hope that the 85 year old queen and the 30-something Duke will still be able to provide our nation with a much needed heir.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 11:57:43 pm by MrGimp »
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1277 on: November 07, 2009, 10:12:25 pm »

Good grief.

I wouldn't see Queen-Overlord Urist as one who would want out of Blockedlance

Yeah, ideally, she should have kids, then die of natural causes at Blockedlance.  Then the dwarves will wander off leaderless, leaving an adventurer's dream and the possibility in world gen of the heirs of Urist going off and doing something interesting with their lives.
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: November 07, 2009, 10:15:25 pm »

I suppose the story explanation would be that the dwarf traders and tax collectors come from scattered, unorganized rural settlements out in the boondocks too minor to mention. Such things are implied to exist (traders bring food, but they don't have farms in the game) so I guess Blockedlance is the only real city left in the civ with just a bunch of rural shitkicking dwarves that live out in the swamps and forests. That or the dwarves come from cities outside of the worldmap.

I know you can make a world gen where all of the dwarves have be long genocided thousands of years ago and still create a dwarf fortress with "dwarf" trade access. Can't make an adventurer, but you can make a fortress.

Still, I suppose that rules out anybody outside of Blockedlance giving a damn what happens there.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: November 07, 2009, 10:58:55 pm »

The artifact adamantine grate has pushed us over the 10 million dwarfbuck mark.  I didnt want to embarass Argonnek, but I guess I should give him credit for making the damn thing.  If it hadnt been a named, Armok worshiping dwarf that wasted our adamantine, I would have thrown him in magma.
Don't worry about embarrassing me, I'm halfway through highschool, and I've built up a resistance to it.

Soviet Travolta

• Bay Watcher
  • [SMOKEY_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
    • Illustrator Porfolio
« Reply #1280 on: November 08, 2009, 06:49:10 am »

Doh!

I forgot I promised the head of the stonecutters to you!  Aw man....I made the Duke (Soviet Travolta) the Supreme Soviet / Soviet Supreme. 

Isnt that like nobles to just come in and swoop shit out of hard working dwarven hands?

Well damnit, Baron von Montague is still a baron, and so what if the Duke gets the TITLE of the Soviet Supreme?  Montague is still the REAL leader of the stonecutters.

hmmmm....might add an interesting plot dynamic within the stonecutters...

I felt embarrassed for a second.  Like when you bypass people in a shop queue by mistake. Then i thought i would reassure you that i'm totally ready to be framed/murdered/eaten alive in a vicious struggle for power, just for the sake of good narrative. That's the spirit, i'm sure.
I propose a truly dorfy solution: toady should implement a special helmet that (mostly) protects against fall damage, so that the toughest dwarves of the fortress can take the 10-z level jump down, pick and axe in hand, and construct stairs back up to the upper levels.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: November 08, 2009, 09:07:41 am »

I felt embarrassed for a second.  Like when you bypass people in a shop queue by mistake. Then i thought i would reassure you that i'm totally ready to be framed/murdered/eaten alive in a vicious struggle for power, just for the sake of good narrative. That's the spirit, i'm sure.
I fully support the implications of this message.
Also, I can't remember if I asked before, but Isn't my guy still with the masons? What will happen to the two Freemasons left?
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1282 on: November 09, 2009, 03:26:25 am »

I suppose the story explanation would be that the dwarf traders and tax collectors come from scattered, unorganized rural settlements out in the boondocks too minor to mention. Such things are implied to exist (traders bring food, but they don't have farms in the game) so I guess Blockedlance is the only real city left in the civ with just a bunch of rural shitkicking dwarves that live out in the swamps and forests. That or the dwarves come from cities outside of the worldmap.

Yeah they come from the exiled wandering bands I guess.  I guess the tax collectors are related to the old Letterclose nobility, and keep coming to Blockedlance to try and land an easy job?

Theres a big terrifying swamp to the west and south of us called the Slim Swamp.  I bet many a hardy dwarf live there.  Also, to the north and east is the terrifying mountain range that the goblins have named the Ruthless Tower.  Eagle isnt the only hermit living in the Ruthless tower I'm sure.  West over the slim swamp a ways lies the Plain of Grizzle, and north of that is the Delightful Desert.  On the other side of the desert is Letterclose.  So the exiles of Letterclose would be fleeing the goblin menace and coming across the desert towards the swamps and mountains of the south.  Small scattered enclaves and bands of nomads would probably be the norm in this area.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: November 09, 2009, 10:15:28 am »

How exactly does a worldgen fortress like Letterclose die during dwarf mode? Last I heard, worldgen does not continue during fortress mode or adventurer mode.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1284 on: November 09, 2009, 01:11:04 pm »

How exactly does a worldgen fortress like Letterclose die during dwarf mode? Last I heard, worldgen does not continue during fortress mode or adventurer mode.

Well worldgen continues, but I guess it just continues in a limited way.  There wasnt a goblin siege or anything...Letterclose just seems to have been abandoned.

Heres the deal...

Letterclose was already abandoned when the game was started.  Letterclose was refounded after the original settling of Blockedlance in 200.  It was still occupied in 204 when Blockedlance was reclaimed.  Now its not occupied.  There isnt a message saying it was abandoned, but it no longer lets you play an adventurer from that nation, and the reason is because the game cant find a settlement from that civ.  Ergo, Letterclose is dead.

When I went to Letterclose in adventure mode, no one was there except for a bunch of elf merchants.

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: November 09, 2009, 02:11:22 pm »

Wow, I don't think I've noticed such an interesting genned world in my experience.

Also: death to the elf merchants!

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1286 on: November 09, 2009, 03:38:51 pm »

I fully support the implications of this message.
Also, I can't remember if I asked before, but Isn't my guy still with the masons? What will happen to the two Freemasons left?

Yeah the two loyal and living former Freemasons are now the highest ranking members of the Stonecutters (besides this pompous Duke!).  Theres Baron von Montague, who I was trying to hook up with the Duchess' daughter (who has since been named Moose) and then theres your guy (gal) who is now Baroness Aldaris (the two loyal Freemasons were honored with a title of low nobility).

I may just throw Moose out of Baron von Montague's mansion and Move the Baroness in.  Then we could possibly have a line of pure blooded Stonecutting Freemasons (in about seven decades when these dwarves finally decided to bang).

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: November 09, 2009, 10:30:50 pm »

How did you make worldgen run for a few years? Start and subsequently abandon fortresses?
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1288 on: November 10, 2009, 02:07:38 am »

How did you make worldgen run for a few years? Start and subsequently abandon fortresses?

Basically.

But I only ever saw something happen during times I actually played the fortress.  So starting and abandoning right away only moved the counter forward a year, without running the world for that time (or so it seems).

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: November 10, 2009, 01:57:28 pm »

Hmm, non-game-recognised nobility? Sweet.
Make her continously spout out reasonable, useful, well thought out and therefore comepletely undorfy mandates.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 164