Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3542274 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10095 on: January 08, 2010, 10:35:24 pm »

On the subject of rat swarms, I would like to remind people of the old blood sport known as "ratting", wherein a dog and a bunch of rats would be put in a pit, and they would fight. The dog often lost. They never, to my knowledge, put armor on the dogs, but that has little relevance, since rats would go under armor on a dwarf anyway. Weapons are not more fast than jaws.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10096 on: January 08, 2010, 10:44:02 pm »

On the subject of rat swarms, I would like to remind people of the old blood sport known as "ratting", wherein a dog and a bunch of rats would be put in a pit, and they would fight. The dog often lost. They never, to my knowledge, put armor on the dogs, but that has little relevance, since rats would go under armor on a dwarf anyway. Weapons are not more fast than jaws.

O.o

Well the rats WERE fighting for their lives.

Swarms taking down larger critters doesn't just happen to rats, ants are also a good example and what they take down is often many times their size.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10097 on: January 08, 2010, 10:46:18 pm »

Dogs aren't people.

Dogs are near to the ground, whereas bipeds aren't, so rats would have a much more difficult time. People can also effectively stomp on things; dogs can't.

And this is assuming the person isn't even armored. Basically, it's just not a great comparison.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10098 on: January 08, 2010, 10:48:50 pm »

Dogs aren't people.

Dogs are near to the ground, whereas bipeds aren't, so rats would have a much more difficult time. People can also effectively stomp on things; dogs can't.

And this is assuming the person isn't even armored. Basically, it's just not a great comparison.

Also, just how many rats were against one dog?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10099 on: January 08, 2010, 10:51:19 pm »

Bear baiting is a better example. Same thing,  but with a bear and dogs instead of a dog and rats
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10100 on: January 08, 2010, 10:57:59 pm »

IIRC the rats had their fangs removed before ratting bouts.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10101 on: January 08, 2010, 11:00:38 pm »

So they gummed the dogs to death, or just by scratching them?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10102 on: January 08, 2010, 11:06:10 pm »

On the subject of rat swarms, I would like to remind people of the old blood sport known as "ratting", wherein a dog and a bunch of rats would be put in a pit, and they would fight. The dog often lost.

This book makes it sound like the main risk to the dogs was infection from the bites, not immediate incapacitation.  "Loss" in that book only refers to the dog not killing the rats fast enough.

IIRC the rats had their fangs removed before ratting bouts.

I remember this being referenced in fiction (The Difference Engine, ugh) but I don't know if it's at all accurate.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:08:06 pm by Footkerchief »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10103 on: January 08, 2010, 11:09:07 pm »

Reading about ratting on wikipedia, it does seem like the concept was more "how many rats can a dog kill given a certain time limit" than "can the dog outlive the rats".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10104 on: January 08, 2010, 11:14:01 pm »

Was just looking at the same thing as well and yea I don't think any dogs died from the fight itself directly and were more likely to die from infection.

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10105 on: January 09, 2010, 12:15:05 am »

A rat isn't going to mess with a full grown dwarf.  It would only bite if it couldn't flee - and its fangs won't pierce hardened leather.

If a dwarf does somehow manage to get bitten badly by a rat, he may very well die from infection.  Even kings died from that sort of thing before antibiotics.  I have to wonder how our dwarves will fare after the new health care updates.  Hopefully, the infections will help us to fill many coffins in our mausoleum mega project!  (Too bad it's put off for this next release, but we can have hope for the one after!)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10106 on: January 09, 2010, 12:17:15 am »

um

Actual diseases aren't in yet, y'know.

Though plague rats should give cats a popularity boost.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10107 on: January 09, 2010, 12:27:47 am »

um

Actual diseases aren't in yet, y'know.

Though plague rats should give cats a popularity boost.

We're talking about regular old wound infection and that IS in, although according to Toady they're just "placeholder simple infections."  A rat's bite won't be any more dangerous than a bite from a "cleaner" animal, though, unless its teeth are coated with grime or something.  Which might actually be possible with the new system for secretions...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10108 on: January 09, 2010, 12:35:13 am »

Well Rat bites arn't particularly deadly anyhow relative to most other animals.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10109 on: January 09, 2010, 12:57:03 am »

Speaking from experience as I've owned a pet rat.  But those damn teeth are LONG!  Penetrated through my finger nail and all the way through to the other side.
Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 1065