Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: The War Engine (+ VN War Mod)  (Read 13806 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: The War Engine (+ VN War Mod)
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2009, 04:54:49 am »

Looks like a good start for a man-sized penguin.  The trick is making a convincing 45 degree turn that stays inside of 25x25.  I just did a little experiment with gimp that worked well enough, with a lot of aliasing correction.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2009, 10:15:26 am »

Is it possible to give bonuses to the troops based on the presence of officers and such?
That would be awsome.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2009, 10:19:14 am »

Tested making a penguin in a 25x25. How does it look?

Is that a penguin?  :o It looks like "weird" to be honest.  ;D

Anyways, I know this game, it's pretty cool. It has some vanilla mods, including a fantasy themed mod.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2009, 10:27:48 am »

Anyone recommend on a good filehosting site?  I'm close to finished with a simple example mission for the VN pack.

Is it possible to give bonuses to the troops based on the presence of officers and such?
That would be awsome.

It is indeed possible, though limited.  Units have morale, which if really good gives them To Hit bonuses, but if really bad will make them panic and run.  "Officers" can be made to inspire troops around them to higher morale - conversely, a unit can be tagged to frighten enemy troops instead.

Anyways, I know this game, it's pretty cool. It has some vanilla mods, including a fantasy themed mod.

Wow, somebody else who heard of the War Engine?  Where did you find it?
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2009, 10:29:46 am »

Fileplanet.
Also
That would be awsome.
It is indeed possible, though limited.  Units have morale, which if really good gives them To Hit bonuses, but if really bad will make them panic and run.  "Officers" can be made to inspire troops around them to higher morale - conversely, a unit can be tagged to frighten enemy troops instead.
Awsome. In that case, I want my prescence to demoralize freindly ranks.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2009, 10:42:35 am »

Are there melee weapons? Because I need to lead a squad of penguin knights.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2009, 10:47:02 am »

Im sure you could make their range one tile long.
Also: WAHHHHHGH I MEAN FILEFRONT, NOT FILE PLANET!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2009, 11:01:46 am »

I think for the campaign we could have the first section be almost penguin free, with people like me and others not as penguins, but have a sudden penguin uprising.

After all, the penguin thing would look weird if there were penguins there all along but nobody ever said anything about it until later on.

Or we could have a large chunk of the forums get infected with a were penguin virus.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2009, 11:10:03 am »

It wasn't so much a 'virus' as splendy calling it a fad and then everyone catching on...

We should have a SUPER NATION lead by a unstoppable Toad for a short time to simulate the point when the Toad pushed us back from 'other games'.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2009, 11:33:49 am »

I want in as a super fast, medium hitting unit using a 4-5 tile range black magick blast.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2009, 11:56:56 am »

I have The War Engine. Aqizzar, is this going to be a branching campagin? Like, if one side loses a match, will new missions be unlocked? Sort of like...um...you know those Alternate History thingys.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2009, 12:04:04 pm »

I haven't put any thought into a whole campaign structure.  I'm hoping somebody else comes up with that mess.  Ideas will be hashed out.

As for getting everybody into the game, it's taken me about twelve hours just to make some functional Kerons and Zombies, and I had to steal half the graphics from the example files.  Along with all the terrain art and data, and there's no unit or weapon graphics.  Or individualized characters.  Basically just a bare-bones structure to get started with.

I'm putting together an example map now, using just those assets, then I'm calling it a day.  Brainstorm all you like, and do feel free to contribute anything in way of graphics.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2009, 01:18:42 pm »

Obviously with the zombies the best way to go is to make it so that whenever a unit dies, a zombie is created.  Is such a system possible?

Alternatively, the zombies could be invincible (due to just rising again) until the necromancer is killed and his dark god is made to flee. But that's probably even less likely to be doable.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2009, 03:29:34 pm »

Ill see if I can help, but I gotta get some chicken marinating first.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2009, 03:56:25 pm »

About zombies - unfortunately, no such advanced unit mechanics are possible.  Dead units are dead, and can't be interacted with.  Units still on the board can regenerate health, but to me that doesn't fit with zombies.  I'm compensating by just putting a whole lot of them on the map, arriving in successive waves.

Melee weapons are absolutely possible.  The zombies rely on them.  Lots of possibilities there.

Anyway, I'm still working.  Painting a map to look like anything more than total ass takes a long damn time.  But I'm finally finished, and putting together the force placement, reinforcement waves, and some finishing touches.  I don't plan on doing much playtesting - that's y'all's job.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8