Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: One-in-a-million moments you've witnessed?  (Read 67353 times)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One-in-a-million moments you've witnessed?
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2009, 10:35:43 am »

I'm still not sure exactly where he was going, but I had been using the statue garden as a central hub for the rest of the fortress, with the hospital area near the entrance.
Why, his birthday party, of course! I can imagine his spouse going: "Happy Birthday, honey! Not many reach your age in this outpost, here." Just moments after, he collapses. "Oh, well, let's not get this party go to waste!" his wife says and so the party ensues.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2009, 12:07:04 pm »

I once saw a goblin get hammered by a stone fall trap and as he was running away one of my cats came up and finished him off.  Also had a child get possessed and make a table out of turtle bone.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2009, 01:39:01 pm »

I got a message that a baby had died from collision. I didn't find the body ANYWHERE. But after a while I got another similar message. Now I found the body and figured out what happened.

In the skyscraper that I built, the first baby had suicided by jumping off the roof. Around 15 stories high, too. The reason? His parents got killed in a goblin ambush earlier, and he was miserable. Second one had also a similar reason.

And the bodies were on the prison building's roof, next to the skyscraper. That's why I didn't find them earlier. I checked it accidentally, and saw a pile of dwarf bones plus a rotting baby body next to them. Quickly built stairs to the prison's roof, and the rest of the dwarves took the babies, or what was left of them, to their graves.

Pic of the fall:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And another, two stories which happened at the same spot, second happened because I forgot about the first. These happened in my other aboveground fort, not the one pictured above:

1. I learned not to build floor tiles at the end of drawbridges. Especially when they're 16 Z-levels high on the top of a skyscraper. The floor collapsed immediately when it was built, causing it to crash straight through the roof of my prison, and the ensulting blast of dust and debris knocked three dwarves and a cat unconscious. The engraver who built the floor smashed a few seconds after onto the prison roof and exploded. And then his kid who was with him fell too, but SURVIVED somehow. He died a few seconds later on his bed due to the massive injuries sustained.

2: I built a floor at the same spot again because I wasn't thinking. This time the piece of floor fell NEXT to my prison, smashed through two god damn levels of earth and finally exploded in my largest food stockpile at Z-level -2 (0 being ground level), knocking half of my fort (they were all eating/drinking there) unconscious. Oh, and the guy who made the floor also fell down, but missed the gaping hole the floor made and smashed next to it.

Nice fortress!

Physics in DF are awesome. I once had a project that consisted of a few air bridges. Eventually I decided to demolish the structures and caused an organized "cave in" / collapse of the structures. Support gone, boom goes the bridge.. and debris smacks right into an old tunnel I used for irrigation, including the wall that held the lake/murky pool in place.

"We have a flooding in isle 3, we have a flooding in isle 3."

Octyl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2009, 08:58:10 pm »

Spoiler for HFS.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 09:00:49 pm by Octyl »

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2009, 09:08:38 pm »

What happened next?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2009, 09:38:09 pm »

Suicide Baby would make an awesome name for a band.
Shoes...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2009, 09:41:11 pm »

I don't know how often this happens, but it was such a sad occurrence, I nearly cried at how horrible it must've been.

I had a pretty decent setup for a simple fort, mostly underground, with towers sprouting from all around at key points (since it was built in a hillside, I needed good security).

Well, I was minding my business training new marksdwarves and expanding my security stations, when all of a sudden *SIEGE*!!!

2 Gob squads with 1 legendary marksman, and I think a human swordsman was in with the raid too (for Armok only knows why, but he was in with them somehow). Anyway, human aside, the f***ing marksgob killed off most of my security force.

Now comes the sad, unlikely part. One of my better defenders was a good +2 Z above the raiders, and from a long distance, I swear that gob had to be trained by Elves, he shot an arrow through my fortification +2 above him, with a wall in front of him, and a long distance, striking my marksdwarf, AND HER CHILD, simultaneously between the eyes with a single arrow, killing them both in an instant.

And the funny part to balance the sad. The raiding army decided to continue the raid, only to have their army lost to a handful of cages and a hall of stones. As vengeance, I decided to strip that marksgob and human naked and feed them to the carp by strapping them down next to the river and pond riddled with carp.

(Until I can somehow feed carp with gobs and human (my preferred method of execution), I'm stuck with making an execution tower and catapult. Drawbridge style.)

Oh, and I almost forgot, her husband was estatic and never got sad after the loss. Either I had one hell of a dining room, or he really didn't like that woman.

UPDATE:
Just uploaded my map into the DF Map Archive.
Here's the POI of the incident: http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-13984-tragictower

To this day, it's still not cleaned up. Their souls are trapped in that tower.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 12:32:16 pm by Itnetlolor »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2009, 09:42:23 pm »

Suicide Baby would make an awesome name for a band.

Only in dwarf fortress.....

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2009, 09:48:57 pm »

The story linked in this thread

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=33755.0

inspired me. I decided to start my own challenge game, where I will more or less play the commune challenege, but like the story above I will sacrifice dwarves every year. I had decided to do so by drafting the sacrifices and stationing them in an above ground room full of upright spikes, and allowing the bodies to rot there. Fun stuff. So I gen my world, pick my location and starting gear and strike the earth, and what do I behold but the completely randomly generated Fortress name, "Lancedkin"

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2009, 10:29:17 pm »

Hey! I was inspired by the same fortress to build a fort where you're not allowed to dig at all, and have to rely on bauxite rutabegas, adamantine mushrooms, and gold herbs!
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2009, 10:57:00 pm »

My Miner, whom we will call Urist the Brave, was minding his own buisness mining some gems in an aboveground deposit. A black bear walks up to him, which he quickly dispatched, but he lost his pick in it. As he is walking back to the Wagon to get the other one, he is attacked by Rhesus Maqaques which he quickly wrestled to death.
Back at the Wagon, he grabs the last pick and returns to his mining.

CloisteredSyrups

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2009, 11:06:28 pm »

Sounds like he was in the mood for some Rhesus Pieces.
Wolves tore off my adventurer's limbs, and you are reminded of pokemon?

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2009, 11:22:55 pm »

Urist McMount is hit with a vicious pun!
Urist McMount has been struck down!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2009, 11:26:01 pm »

I second the motion.
Urist McZ is hit with a vicious pun!
Urist McZ has been struck down!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2009, 11:29:01 pm »

I second the motion.
Urist McZ is hit with a vicious pun!
Urist McZ has been struck down!
Urist McBattlan sees the bodies of his friends!
Urist McBattlan has become depressed!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20