Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20

Author Topic: One-in-a-million moments you've witnessed?  (Read 67356 times)

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
Re: One-in-a-million moments you've witnessed?
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2009, 02:58:21 am »

well the elfish caravan had just decided to leave but my bridge retracted at the worst possible moment, leaving them stuck. I extend the bridge then retract it again. this time several elves were on the bridge when it retracted and they fell into my moat of "solution to everything", they promptly die upon hitting the surface of the moat.

it was so funny
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2009, 03:02:20 am »

I am doing some exploratory mining on the bottom z level. I have three miners, two from embarkment and the third from my one and first immigrant wave that luckily brought along a pick.

The Ursist McNewb started a good ten minuets before the two other miners got there, and he started his thing going down the first shaft.

Then the first legendary miner I have gets there, and started digging out the side tunnel then take the next shaft along the y axis. He digs over 15 tiles, then over takes the other miner, swings back along another tunnel of another 15 tiles and complete his shaft for him. 

It was like the legendary miner was being an utter git and showing off. Nearly mining circles around the poor McNewb.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2009, 07:36:32 am »

Had some dwarves building walkways over a chasm once. One of the dwarves decided to give birth over the edge of the floor, watch its child fall to its death, then get back to work.

I imagined it being so causal, probally why i found it so funny

Mine is quite realted:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I was getting rid of cittens. All dwarves are busy "relocating" them into the magma channel near my forges, as suddenly one of the haulers decides that right now it's a good time to give birth. Result can be seen above  ;D

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2009, 07:42:26 am »

thats one good mother
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2009, 07:47:58 am »

I've gotten really good at getting fortress worth up to 200k by winter, this means none of my Fortresses survive the invariable Orc invasion. I've decided to do some low-worth forts to try and avoid the first winter invasion and thus hopefully buy myself enough time to get a bunch of dorfs with Xbows behind some nice solid walls.

So i set up, carefully do not create buttloads of flux stone crafts and start making iron and steel weapons; they're kinda high cost, but i'm not making anything else tradable so it should be good. Little did i know that my master cook starts cooking booze, by the end of autumn i tap Z and discover my fortresses worth is over 650,000.

Fffffuuuu-

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2009, 02:25:23 pm »

Orcs siege you regardless. They're bloodthirsty cold hearted bastards with a penchant of turning a dwarf into a dwarf left upper leg, dwarf right lower leg, dwarf head, etc.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

rikrak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2009, 02:38:13 pm »

I decided to try an embark in a hostile environment for the first time... and arrived surrounded by ice and Zombie Alligators - who managed to snaffle up 5 of my dwarves before being killed.

The two remaining dwarves slowly dug out a living space, but the small amounts of food and drink on the wagon ran out and before long there was just one, terribly traumatised, starving dwarf remaining.

He seemed to be surviving on frozen grass and ice and went on living for months - crawling from his bed to the river and back each day. I should have put him out of his misery, but the sadist in me kept watching.

Eventuallly a dwarven caravan turned up - which offered little hope as there was no depot and nothing to trade - so I was surprised to see the starving dwarf literally sprint across the map, faster than i have ever seen a dwarf run before.

He ran all the way to the edge of the map where the caravan was waiting and stole a hunk of cheese then ran away, zig-zagging, with the merchant in hot pursuit. He dropped dead before he could get a bite in. Not sure if he was bludgeoned to death for stealing, or whether it was exhaustion - but I'll never forget the sight of him careering across the map to get to the delicious cheese.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #142 on: April 19, 2009, 03:00:58 pm »

I decided to try an embark in a hostile environment for the first time... and arrived surrounded by ice and Zombie Alligators - who managed to snaffle up 5 of my dwarves before being killed.

The two remaining dwarves slowly dug out a living space, but the small amounts of food and drink on the wagon ran out and before long there was just one, terribly traumatised, starving dwarf remaining.

He seemed to be surviving on frozen grass and ice and went on living for months - crawling from his bed to the river and back each day. I should have put him out of his misery, but the sadist in me kept watching.

Eventuallly a dwarven caravan turned up - which offered little hope as there was no depot and nothing to trade - so I was surprised to see the starving dwarf literally sprint across the map, faster than i have ever seen a dwarf run before.

He ran all the way to the edge of the map where the caravan was waiting and stole a hunk of cheese then ran away, zig-zagging, with the merchant in hot pursuit. He dropped dead before he could get a bite in. Not sure if he was bludgeoned to death for stealing, or whether it was exhaustion - but I'll never forget the sight of him careering across the map to get to the delicious cheese.
"!!! My food-senses are tingling! Oh wait, that's my stomach. Well I should just OH MY GODS A CARAVAN JUST APPEARED AND IT HAS CHEESE!"

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2009, 03:07:08 pm »

He ran all the way to the edge of the map where the caravan was waiting and stole a hunk of cheese then ran away, zig-zagging, with the merchant in hot pursuit.

Run, Urist, Run!
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2009, 04:41:14 pm »

I have never seen a dog RIP APART a kobold that bad.. And he's still alive!
Only his right leg remains attached... and his head, of course.

His buddy got away, though.

Looks like my guard doggies are doing their job quite well.

Edit: The kobold died not a second later. The dog has been given a title.. Furmanors. Interesting.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 05:01:17 pm by IceShade »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2009, 07:18:32 pm »

Orcs siege you regardless. They're bloodthirsty cold hearted bastards with a penchant of turning a dwarf into a dwarf left upper leg, dwarf right lower leg, dwarf head, etc.

If you don't get enough fortress wealth then you won't get sieged until some time in the second year.

I keep copping sieges in the first winter due to expanding my wealth to ludicrous levels.

Fortunately, a large chunk of my rediculous fortress wealth was a butt-ton of steel weaponries and a long and windy road around a fortified archer tower, about ~40 Orcs turned up, only three made it to the room my marksdorfs were in (and they got lots of fun experience.)

Yays!

Also note to self; always give starting 7 dwarves 2 points in Marksdwarf when using Orc mod.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 07:20:35 pm by Neruz »

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 20, 2009, 04:54:01 pm »

Winter came, and with it, the wolves.  An unfortunate deer had not fled the coming of the cold fast enough, and the wolves quickly savaged it and dragged it down. 

...then they left it lying there, unconscious.  Until spring came, and the pond it was lying on melted... Now there's an unconscious, lightly mangled deer lying ALIVE at the bottom of a 7/7 Murky Pool.  I assume at some point it will wake up and drown, or winter will come and crush it in the ice, but this may be the first amphibious deer I've ever seen!

wigwam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a wigwam! I'm a teepee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 20, 2009, 05:55:00 pm »

I once had a dwarf marry another dwarf. That in itself isn't very rare or noteworthy, but the fact that the husband had gone stark raving mad moments earlier from a failed mood made it interesting.

They had decided to "forego the celebrations," understandably.

Somehow, I don't that that's supposed to happen.

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2009, 08:46:42 pm »

I had two male dwarves marry @_@
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2009, 11:24:59 pm »

I had two male dwarves marry @_@

Talk to Heavy Flak, he had the same thing happen in Migrursut. (Yeah, I just butchered that.)

FACT: Changing genders with Dwarf Companion does NOTHING!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20