Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130602 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1620 on: May 06, 2010, 01:41:48 am »

The next step is pitting the soapmakers.

Disable all their jobs after you pit them or the job-cancel-spam load will drive you insane.

Also, try pitting slavespets Caged Intelligent Creatures to explore for you? Snakemen and Tigermen will probably survive most encounters, yes? (all mine died die to thirst, so I can't test this)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: May 06, 2010, 01:17:44 pm »

Started a fort, hit "Play Now" (for the Comp. medical skills).
Fisherdwarf promptly forms two grudges, including with the leader.
Accidentally assigned my leader/woodcutter as sheriff.
Fisherdwarf gets upset, tantrums, and kills leader's cat.
Leader assigns beating.
Fisherdwarf promptly hacked to bits.
Leader decides to hold a party in the dining room.

Moral: Don't be an ass to the guy with the ax.

Actually, this opened up a new line of thought for me.

I'm going to be making Training Spears and officially declaring them to be part of the uniform for the Fortress Guard.  Should make them deal negligible damage when delivering beatings...
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: May 06, 2010, 02:30:27 pm »

Use maces or hammers instead.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Spotswood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: May 07, 2010, 04:40:50 am »

Just got up to help my girlfriend with dinner and didnt press pause. Come back and start looking around and notice my population is in half. (Only had around 20 dorfs)
So I check the announcements. It was a imp from the local volcano. Outside there were about ten different clouds of smoke either running around or smouldering on the floor.

The only satisfaction I had was seeing my legendary miner one-inch-punch that imp back to kindergarten. 

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: May 07, 2010, 01:08:07 pm »

Here's a minor one that puzzled me for a little bit.  If you build an outdoor drowning chamber to dispose of cages and cages full of gobbos cause you like drowning the pests, put a ceiling on the chamber.

I flipped the drowning switch to empty my reservoir into the cage area and watched in satisfaction as they drowned, all but one, who disappeared.  Huh?

Then i get all these job cancellations from a goblin thief and it took me a while to find him as he was running around my curtain wall!  It took a while to dispatch him as '10 pathing for military is a bit buggy.

This goblin had learned to swim quickly and crawled right up onto my walls.  He ran from my military finally and got caught in a cage again, so he at least did not escape his watery fate now that i have a ceiling.   
This Forgotten Beast was delicious!

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: May 07, 2010, 03:07:17 pm »

I spent forever trying to make a plant that I could smelt the threads to make a metal that couldn't be found anywhere else, but nothing would cause the smelter reaction to appear.  Turned out I forgot to permit the reaction in the dwarf civ entity.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Dunc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: May 07, 2010, 06:25:02 pm »

Here's a minor one that puzzled me for a little bit.  If you build an outdoor drowning chamber to dispose of cages and cages full of gobbos cause you like drowning the pests, put a ceiling on the chamber.

I flipped the drowning switch to empty my reservoir into the cage area and watched in satisfaction as they drowned, all but one, who disappeared.  Huh?

Then i get all these job cancellations from a goblin thief and it took me a while to find him as he was running around my curtain wall!  It took a while to dispatch him as '10 pathing for military is a bit buggy.

This goblin had learned to swim quickly and crawled right up onto my walls.  He ran from my military finally and got caught in a cage again, so he at least did not escape his watery fate now that i have a ceiling.   

If I had a goblin actually manage to escape and I re-captured him, I'd either let him free or I'd give him the most glorious death possible like by dropping him a dozen z levels into the middle of a meeting hall when there is a party going on

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: May 07, 2010, 10:12:12 pm »

So I've got two forgotten beast roaming around and completely walled off. One is a giant three eye'd mite made of vomit... I heard those kinds are invincible so I decided to kill the other one. A skinless sauropod something or other.

so I mine a small tunnel near where the forgotten beast is and order my axesquad to kill it.

Well they were in the middle of a training excercise so they all ran to the barracks instead of to the Sauropod. First to go out was a noble, who ran around distracting it for some good time. Then my military finally went out, albiet one or two at a time. And the damn thing killed my legendary level 20 axedwarf!!! I was in shock... it couldn't happen... clad in full bronze armor too...

s22190

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: May 08, 2010, 04:32:13 am »

I think my biggest facepalm was when I had a ''accident'' with Magma; that involved an annoying noble, a lever and floodgate with a mechanism that WASNT magma safe.

I'll stop there.

Rorcayt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: May 08, 2010, 07:39:17 pm »

See thread directly below.
The cavern cats almost liberated hell..... Cats are in fact useful...
When they got fake cat serpent headed ice breathing demon enemy's, and no elves in sight.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: May 09, 2010, 01:44:27 am »

See thread directly below.

That doesn't tell us anything at all.  If you really wanted to tell us, you could have at least linked.

My most recent facepalm is that my computer doesn't like running large forts in large worlds.  So my fort that I have perfectly crafted doesn't like to load anymore.  I wonder if my aquifer filled well is part of the problem.  Other options are the completely walled off magma vent that might be causing pathing spam.  Hmmm, I wonder if it would go down if I opened up the pipe to the surface.  I would just need to be sure to open the side that faces away form my main entrance, else it won't do much good.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: May 09, 2010, 09:22:35 am »

Spent about an hour carving out an intricate series of bedrooms and living spaces, to house about 120 in an efficient but asthetic way, then designated it all to be smoothed and went off to take care of some other business.

When I looked back, all of the walls were gone. I accidentally designated the whole area for digging without noticing.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: May 09, 2010, 12:50:12 pm »

Spent about an hour carving out an intricate series of bedrooms and living spaces, to house about 120 in an efficient but asthetic way, then designated it all to be smoothed and went off to take care of some other business.

When I looked back, all of the walls were gone. I accidentally designated the whole area for digging without noticing.

This wouldn't happen to be in Whirlrelic, would it?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: May 09, 2010, 06:01:21 pm »

A dwarf died due to carp when fishing. When going to retrieve his stuff, another dwarf died. This continued for ten dwarves, even after I designated the area restricted, removed the fishing zone, and restricted the items of the dead dwarfs.
Meowth! That's right!

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: May 10, 2010, 06:35:37 am »

A dwarf died due to carp when fishing. When going to retrieve his stuff, another dwarf died. This continued for ten dwarves, even after I designated the area restricted, removed the fishing zone, and restricted the items of the dead dwarfs.
You know, they really love socks. And a dwarf can lose his life just to save the precious memory of his dearest friend - the sock.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 729