Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126579 times)

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2055 on: July 17, 2010, 12:40:46 am »

Not really a face palm, but every dwarf in my third migrant wave had military skills. One didn't have a weapon skill, just armor user, fighter, kicker, and dodger. Is this normal?
Also, there are three engravers. Engravers don't do to well in my fort. They either get mauled or drafted.

Take that to theWhat's going on in your fort? thread.

Anyways, my most recent facepalm was that, while using the first Cavern to farm with (no pools or brooks so no irrigation), I never thought to cut down the Fungiwood/other tree-like things for wood so that I can have more than 3 beds. It took me 3 1/2 seasons to realize this. *Facepalm*
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: July 17, 2010, 01:44:32 am »

During one of my first embarks, I decided to embark on a cold mountain. I had a stockpile set up to contain everything while I dug out the storage for my fort. This was during winter, with everything being covered in snow. Even the ice my stockpile was built on. So spring rolls around, storage is ready, so I go to remove the old stockpile, and I see all of my stuff had fallen to the bottom of a massive murky pool. Doh!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: July 17, 2010, 02:59:56 am »

I just now realized that the hunger and thirst show up in the "Health" Z-menu. That would have saved me three dwarves in my last fort.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: July 17, 2010, 06:32:36 am »

Started filling my huge hole with water to cover my underwater fort. But...

for some reason the dwarves go to "store item in stockpile" right at the place where the raging river channel is pushing water into the hole. So now I got 5 dead dwarves which fell down into the hole after the water caught and pushed them in, and it's not stopping. They keep walking to the channel with "Store item in stockpile", and then getting pushed into the hole and if they don't die from the fall they proceed to drown. I ordered them all to a burrow at my food stockpile, so I gotta wait until it fills completely so there's no flowing water anymore. Or I could try finding the items and forbidding them.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 06:35:17 am by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: July 17, 2010, 06:47:22 am »

Built hundreds of screw pumps to pump magma out of the magma sea and up to my above-ground tower. I get it all set up and didn't realise that my stack of gear assemblies only reaches the right tile on every other z-level. So I get it pumping, and cause there was a gear assembly diagonally adjacent to where the bottom screw pump was pumping to, it flooded the bottom level of my fort with magma. Complete with my farms, and farmer, and my secondary food stockpile. And my fishing hole and fisherdwarf. And all my seeds and my farmer's bedroom.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: July 17, 2010, 09:03:49 am »

Started a fort in a world at war with the gobbos. In a terrifying forest.

First, a pair of ogres kill all but one of my wardogs and do some damage to my woodcutter.

Later, harpies arrive and slaughter most of my muskoxen, and the last dog.

Then a goblin siege turns up in winter and kills everyone else. At least my woodcutter killed five of the bastards!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

hailthefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: July 17, 2010, 02:12:25 pm »

Aborting the select-a-baron screen after trying for years to get one.

Dearnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: July 17, 2010, 06:27:07 pm »

Not sure what was going through my mind when I embarked on fort #2 with no axes.  Worse yet, I had my carpenter turn my wagon into beds before I realized none of the trees were being cut down, so I had to wait for a caravan to bring either an axe or at least some wood to make a training axe.  First caravan failed to bring either.  (It would be nice if a stonecrafter could make a stone axe.)

In the end, though, the fortress fell for an entirely different facepalm inducing foolishness on my part.  I built a drawbridge, but it wasn't until the first goblin ambush that I realized I hadn't built a lever for it...I hadn't even built a mechanics workshop (so no traps either).  My poorly trained soldiers gave their lives successfully defending Fort Door-Wide-Open.  The goblins attacked again before I had a lever attached to the bridge, thus causing the loss of a lot more dwarves, leaving only 6 survivors, 3 of whom succumbed to their wounds/thirst.  The last three dwarves were able to get the lever in place and working, but to no avail.  The final ambush was right at the gate with the doctor being slaughtered as he ran for safety.  With the goblins inside the fort before the switch could be thrown, the last two dwarves made their final stand in the great dining hall, booze in one hand, axe in the other.

Alas, the fort was in a great location and only fell because of my own foolishness.  I may reclaim it someday.

hailthefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: July 17, 2010, 06:55:54 pm »

I had that lever-bridge problem happen twice in the same fort. Luckily, the double thick line of cage traps all the way around the bridge and the nine stonefall traps in my doorway saved the day.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: July 17, 2010, 07:58:48 pm »

Um, to the guy who embarked with no axe. You can make a wooden training one, with the wood from the wagon. It will fell trees.

No, it does not make sense.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: July 17, 2010, 08:20:33 pm »

He knew about training axes, but couldnt make one because he had already made beds out of the wagon wood. Lol at that. It happens to all of us ocassionally. Its funny  i have never in the 2 years of playing this game relied on drawbridges. Constructions yes, traps. dear gods yes. But never built me a bridge or atom smasher. Never seemed to need it.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: July 17, 2010, 09:15:06 pm »

Tenthspeed McWriter cancels Construct Epicfort: House struck by lightning.
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: July 18, 2010, 06:27:40 am »

And it didn't hit your lightning attracter, thus supercharging your PC? For shame, every DF player has a system for that!
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: July 18, 2010, 06:41:56 am »

And it didn't hit your lightning attracter, thus supercharging your PC? For shame, every DF player has a system for that!
No they don't!we have magma generated super overclockers

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: July 18, 2010, 07:13:00 am »

Turnin a screw pump on manual and forgetting that i left the labour on. It flooded only about a quarter of my fort. But it spread deadly blood everywhere. Killed a dozen dwarves.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 729