Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130966 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5655 on: January 31, 2012, 04:57:21 am »

Recent facepalm: I was ambushed by goblins, and for some reason or another thier marksgob leader was already dead. Like a pile of bones on the floor dead. How the fuck this happened I dont wanna know.

Probably has to do with the thing where, sometimes in adventure mode the person you are sent to kill will instantly die of old age. It's because the game forgets that they really ought to have died of old age by now and then they appear, the game goes, "Crap! Forgot about him!" and they die.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: January 31, 2012, 04:19:07 pm »

Recent facepalm: I was ambushed by goblins, and for some reason or another thier marksgob leader was already dead. Like a pile of bones on the floor dead. How the fuck this happened I dont wanna know.

Probably has to do with the thing where, sometimes in adventure mode the person you are sent to kill will instantly die of old age. It's because the game forgets that they really ought to have died of old age by now and then they appear, the game goes, "Crap! Forgot about him!" and they die.

I thought goblins were immortal save for disease or battle deaths... Must've been a mutiny. Had to have been. They saw the corpses of all the missing ambush parties and goblin thieves sitting on isolated pillars out from of my gleaming platinum statued gatehouse and murdered his ass for taking them on a suicide run.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: January 31, 2012, 11:05:02 pm »

I wanted to clean out my pumpstack and modify it a little.  It would've helped if I had opened it at the top and remembered to close it at the base.  Magma and 20-odd melted dwarves all down the staircase because i'd already designated digging jobs.  Whoops...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: January 31, 2012, 11:51:11 pm »

Those gigantic leeches can grow up to 35 or so inches long. That would be frightening at best.

Last time I checked leeches sucked blood, not smack dorfs in the face and insta-kill them.

No body of water is safe it seems, except for marksdwarves. Since they can, you know, pin cushin Carp/Sturgeon/Sea Lampray/whatever other horrible fish.
Have you SEEN a Lamprey? *shudder* There's nowhere to punch on that thing that isn't either teeth or writhing tentacle. They're like a Japanese fetishist's nightmare/wet dream.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: February 01, 2012, 12:33:55 pm »

You can see why he looks offended. CHALK?
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: February 01, 2012, 04:30:11 pm »

Those gigantic leeches can grow up to 35 or so inches long. That would be frightening at best.

Last time I checked leeches sucked blood, not smack dorfs in the face and insta-kill them.

No body of water is safe it seems, except for marksdwarves. Since they can, you know, pin cushin Carp/Sturgeon/Sea Lampray/whatever other horrible fish.
Have you SEEN a Lamprey? *shudder* There's nowhere to punch on that thing that isn't either teeth or writhing tentacle. They're like a Japanese fetishist's nightmare/wet dream.

True enough.... You'd think that damn fisher would've run from the potential rape critter... Still wasn't expect something that.... squishy looking to kill a dorf.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: February 01, 2012, 04:31:41 pm »

my carpenter drowned himself when he was walling :why:
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: February 02, 2012, 05:01:19 am »

Nothing really big, but I realized why sandbags kept appearing in my ballista-arrow Pile. Press u to disable sandbags in furniture piles.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: February 02, 2012, 05:25:59 am »

Nothing really big, but I realized why sandbags kept appearing in my ballista-arrow Pile. Press u to disable sandbags in furniture piles.
You just gave me a facepalm moment right there. I've kept wondering why they drag bags into my siege stockpile...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: February 02, 2012, 04:00:34 pm »

You just gave me a facepalm moment right there. I've kept wondering why they drag bags into my siege stockpile...

In case the Germans come, and you ain't got time to build trenches.
By Germans, I mean HFS.
And by HFS, I mean elves.
And by sandbags, I mean magma.
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: February 03, 2012, 06:06:10 pm »

I threw up a temporary jail but forgot to de-equip my Hammerguard of his silver WHORHAMMER. 

I completely forgot about this for a time and felt that letting a useless mandate pass would result in jail time, heh.

Well, next thing I know I see the Hammerguard bludgeoning one of my furnace operators (one of 6 thankfully) to death.  Ended up breaking both his arms and legs, and he eventually succumbed to disease! 

Now my Hammerguard's been reassigned back to his default squad and a new one's been appointed with less weapon skills and is equipped with a training axe should be ever need to tap somebody for breaking the law, judge dredd style.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: February 03, 2012, 07:05:12 pm »

well i set my fort to implode. well some1 pulled the leaver and guess what happened to sliveryaxes.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

calour

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: February 03, 2012, 07:12:14 pm »

My crafter just returned to society with an artifact worth of 604k, making my total wealth 640k. Facepalms for I got nothing to guard it from raiders. I predict Fun.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: February 03, 2012, 07:16:44 pm »

Tinhammers accepted nobility.

'Nuff said.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: February 04, 2012, 05:27:27 am »

I start an adventurer on a world that didn't generate my vampires  :'( and on my first night, this happened:

IRL, I have a white belt in karate.
Even I could have done better.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:32:59 am by Lolfail0009 »
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 729