Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2131119 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6465 on: June 16, 2012, 12:27:51 pm »

Lye frozen in buckets = Dead patients in hospital.

Don't activate the self destruct if the fight isn't over yet.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: June 16, 2012, 01:51:12 pm »

Modded in an awesome flaming metal to make cool weapons out of.

Embark, settlers have masks made of the metal.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: June 16, 2012, 01:55:28 pm »

I just realised pearlash is actually pearl ash, not pear lash.

-.-
Wait, WHAT?!
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: June 16, 2012, 03:12:21 pm »

I just realised pearlash is actually pearl ash, not pear lash.

-.-
Wait, WHAT?!
WHAT!?!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

sirinon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: June 17, 2012, 05:02:24 am »

When an army or warlocks backed onto a Goblin/White tigerman Seige and  turned everything into Zombies,  300 + Zombies later and my army was overcome, the fortress fell in under a minute.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: June 17, 2012, 06:30:29 pm »

When an army or warlocks backed onto a Goblin/White tigerman Seige and  turned everything into Zombies,  300 + Zombies later and my army was overcome, the fortress fell in under a minute.
How is that a facepalm though?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

sirinon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: June 17, 2012, 09:09:53 pm »

How is that a facepalm though?

I forgot that the Magic system in DF 34.10 is scary as hell and designed my fort for non magic defense.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: June 18, 2012, 01:44:36 am »

Humans are squishy wizards, until they put on armor, then they're not so squishy.
Damn you TVtropes.

Facepalm: Built a goblin grinder. Forgot to link the hatches to the pressure plates. That was a short fortress.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: June 18, 2012, 12:29:48 pm »

I spent hours assembling a mine cart track that was entirely walled off, didn't intersect any halls or take any sort of priority in pathing, etc.  Fire it up for the test run and SOMEHOW a lyemaker on break paths up the ramp and gets flattened by the mine cart. Seriously, how and why he was there...ugh.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: June 18, 2012, 06:17:50 pm »

I spent hours assembling a mine cart track that was entirely walled off, didn't intersect any halls or take any sort of priority in pathing, etc.  Fire it up for the test run and SOMEHOW a lyemaker on break paths up the ramp and gets flattened by the mine cart. Seriously, how and why he was there...ugh.
Look on the brightside: It was a lyemaker.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: June 18, 2012, 07:34:06 pm »

Got a new computer and cranked the frame rate to 200, genned a huge map 500 year history in 19 min 38 seconds , had an 8X8 embark everything fine so far, fortress started, first two migrant waves there got a lot of steel made from my starting embark points, so was a happy overseer, dug out a large magma chamber about 20x40 spaces, with some good ores dropped so decided to do d-b-d and band box the area, and set a garbage dump next to the channeled slope into the chamber, and put my attention elsewhere...

Suddenly I have 3 injured dwarves, somebody dropped a rock down the slope. Hmm fluke, went back to my micromanagement, ordering up stuff to build and doing stock piles and so forth...

Now I have dwarves found dead, I look at the slope and there are dead and injured dwarves and the entire dump pile of bolders at the bottom of the slope. The tantrums begin. Time passes so fast I did not realize the Dwarven caravan had been there so long, I order the clothing from the dead to be hauled to the depot, but was unable to get the trade done, and the merchants pack up, I had forgotten to make more booze after the initial 125 that I had made, and I had thirsty dwarves, then winter hit and the ponds froze, no well was built yet, I got 4 or 5 barrells of booze made and the drinking started, but dwarves were dropping dead all over the place, one died while drinking, and his wife, a miner with a steel pick goes berserk, now all my plants , the still and existing booze are all inaccessable due to this berserk dwarfette guarding the body of her beloved husband. The dead are lining the hallways three insane are babbling in corners, one dwarf is still responding to needs, and I build a still and brew a few booze then make some coffins, as the ghosts start rising, and then my last responsive dwarf goes to get the miner's husband for burial, a chase ensues with multiple severings, and now I can just sit and watch, then the screen jumps to a map edge... You have migrants!

Setting my frame rate cap back to 100, and moving any future dump zones at least two steps from a hole I do not want the garbage tossed into.

DrTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_RATIONAL_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: June 18, 2012, 08:58:09 pm »

My Legendary miner - after deciding to start Operation: Break the last piece of rock and separates the river from the new moat, then decides it would be a great idea to fall asleep - as the water comes rushing in. I have one pick left, and the woodworkers are too busy drinking, sleeping, and going on break to craft beds that have pissed off most of us for the last month!
"I'm just so FUCKIN' HAPPY!"
*throws chair across the room*

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: June 18, 2012, 11:22:02 pm »

Don't let obvious human vampire diplomats wander around for too long. They will inevitably feed. I honestly figured that being as diplomats don't seem to need to eat that he would be safe and leave without any trouble. He wasn't very secretive either. He had the vampire night creature tile.

Seriously mayor, if you were doing your job he would have left.  ::)
But I guess you regret that more than me, I mean it wasn't me he was following all day.  :P

Afterwards, I set my militia after him. Those vampire bastards are pretty damn fast. 
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

shrike.ex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: June 19, 2012, 04:28:03 pm »

I got 32 migrants in a wave about 2 years in.  Of these , 14 were peasants, the rest fisherdwarves and tanners, and one High Master Weaponsmith.  En route to my fort, they are accosted by a undead giant eagle, who proceeds to kill one, and only one dwarf before fleeing. 

-.-

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: June 19, 2012, 04:35:46 pm »

I got 32 migrants in a wave about 2 years in.  Of these , 14 were peasants, the rest fisherdwarves and tanners, and one High Master Weaponsmith.  En route to my fort, they are accosted by a undead giant eagle, who proceeds to kill one, and only one dwarf before fleeing. 

-.-

Poor Peasant #11 :(

:P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 729