Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130906 times)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7005 on: September 11, 2012, 01:03:11 am »

I just discovered that there is a maximum embark size (without crashing).  I spent two days trying to figure out how to fix it, I thought I did something wrong with the mods.  I created a new world, twice.  I also uninstalled and re-installed.   Yep.  -_-'

What is the maximum embark size (w/o crashing)? I think the maximum I have done is a 6x6 on my beast of a computer (3.1GHz per core) and it did pretty well. I usually do 4x4 or 2x2 though, so that I can do more on small regions before regenning.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: September 11, 2012, 01:43:44 am »

I've only tried up to 5x5, which is my current map. 

EDIT:  I've only tried 5x5 and had it work. I've also tried 16x16, 16x10, etc.  Hence the facepalm.
Quote from: Xune
Urist McFred cancels these pants: too sexy.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: September 11, 2012, 02:05:08 am »

I'm pretty sure the maximum size is determined by how much ram you have available.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: September 11, 2012, 03:14:34 pm »

I'm pretty sure the maximum size is determined by how much ram you have available.
Not exactly. DF is 32-bit app, so 2 GB. Any amount larger than than does not matter.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #7009 on: September 11, 2012, 07:08:47 pm »

is there any way to wrap it up to make it LAA, to use 4GB instead, by chance? I have about 8GB just sitting around doing nothing the majority of the time :(
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: September 11, 2012, 08:05:37 pm »

is there any way to wrap it up to make it LAA, to use 4GB instead, by chance? I have about 8GB just sitting around doing nothing the majority of the time :(

Why yes there is! The Lazy Noob Pack has a method installed in it. And I think the same method is also a stand alone.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: September 11, 2012, 08:13:05 pm »

There's also an unofficial "LAA patch". Causes some stability issues but as far as I know allows DF to use as much RAM as you set, up to 50% of your total.

Langolier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: September 12, 2012, 02:41:31 am »

Been playing this game for years. Just realized I have the same last name as the programmers.
Face palm because it took me that long to realize lol.

mfw my real parents are goblins in disguise and I was stolen as a child.
I don't have a face for that...

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #7013 on: September 12, 2012, 03:18:21 am »

yaaay that means i will be able to have a fortress going with 8GB of ram!! ^_^ possibly. I wonder how the FPS would be at that much RAM usage, or if it would even matter. I dunno if DF has even reached 1GB usage on any of my computers...

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7014 on: September 12, 2012, 12:59:17 pm »

Apparently diorite isn't dolomite.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: September 12, 2012, 04:20:11 pm »

yaaay that means i will be able to have a fortress going with 8GB of ram!! ^_^ possibly. I wonder how the FPS would be at that much RAM usage, or if it would even matter. I dunno if DF has even reached 1GB usage on any of my computers...

32bit apps with LAA can go only up to about 3GB. 32bits is still only 4GB, just like a 6-digit number can only go up to million, and Windows still reserves a bunch of that for various OS stuff.

drivec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: September 12, 2012, 07:41:03 pm »

i just turned off weather temp in init did a max embark size.

it took while but it loaded. it was useing 1.6gb of memory. when i unpaused it was pretty much unplayable. iam still on ddr2 ram which isnt near as good at ddr3.

id assume laa does not help as much as people would believe

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: September 13, 2012, 03:00:09 am »

i just turned off weather temp in init did a max embark size.

it took while but it loaded. it was useing 1.6gb of memory. when i unpaused it was pretty much unplayable. iam still on ddr2 ram which isnt near as good at ddr3.

Actually, it was unplayable because max embark size is goddamn crazy. Nothing short of a computer handbuilt out of the most utterly perfect components developed in a hundred years time will run a 16x16 DF embark at a speed approaching something pleasant to start on.

My latest facepalm? Building a wonderful minecart system - then forgetting to attach it properly for about an in-game year. Couldn't work out why all of my haulers were walking past this perfectly good railway to lug half-ton boulders up ten flights of stairs...
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: September 14, 2012, 09:23:10 am »

LAA helps with memory only. It will not make your program faster.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Thorzog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7019 on: September 16, 2012, 10:21:47 pm »

Whoa, when did they reopen this? And when did this topic become something else than a endless series of puns?

Edit: Sorry I just read the first post and realized that this was started with something else in mind and maybe a tribute to the original Face Palm thread (sorry I don't have a link anymore to that epic thread).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:24:21 pm by Thorzog »
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 729