Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130726 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8430 on: March 30, 2014, 09:51:10 am »

I remember a dwarf in Towersoared named Balta that survived a ~17z fall, got stitched up, went back to mining, fell off the same place, got stitched up again, fell off another  ~20z place, got stiched up, and finally died of infection from a broken nail.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8431 on: March 30, 2014, 03:13:24 pm »

No, they aren't. Your worst enemy is your full-armoured dwarf-husks with quality weapons.

I don't know, I guess it's situational. In that case though, all the husks up to that point had been those of caravans or ambush squads, and at LEAST the ambush squad husks tend to leave the map soon after. Can't remember if the husk caravan guards did that too. And even if they wouldn't and would rush the fort instead, traps still affect them.

But not kobold husks.

I sort of should have seen that coming, huh?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8432 on: March 30, 2014, 05:20:55 pm »

Removed the guardian adamantine sword from the demonic fortress, thinking that the denizens of the underworld would go down easily.
Nope.
Started with 17 members of my fortress, and after the whole thing was over, was left with 8.
Frankly, I'm surprised I survived this at all.
Rebuilding this glacier will be difficult, though. I doubt we'll be getting migrants for a while, though :L

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8433 on: March 30, 2014, 06:29:08 pm »

how did you kill hell with 17 dwarves? there must have been some pre-planning involved.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8434 on: March 30, 2014, 07:14:45 pm »

I remember a dwarf in Towersoared named Balta that survived a ~17z fall, got stitched up, went back to mining, fell off the same place, got stitched up again, fell off another  ~20z place, got stiched up, and finally died of infection from a broken nail.

The falls weren't me, but he did die of infection... About four months after his run-in with a forgotten beast. I checked.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8435 on: March 31, 2014, 06:05:12 pm »

how did you kill hell with 17 dwarves? there must have been some pre-planning involved.

My thoughts exactly, although you could've gone with the tradition on avoiding spoilers on the circus.

To FallenAngel: Most people who anger the circus for the first time have fun. That is, they lose. To only lose half of 17 dwarves (I guess you did this pretty early?) is so remarkable that I'd say it's nigh-impossible, if you honestly weren't prepared for them yet killed them. Then again, if you lost half before you managed to seal them off, that's another thing entirely, and you may still have a tantrum spiral (more fun!) incoming.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8436 on: March 31, 2014, 06:21:39 pm »

Killed all my miners in an "ice farm" mishap

fragfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8437 on: April 01, 2014, 09:04:01 am »

I learned that floors and walls are always magmasafe AFTER spending two in-game years constructing two large basins and a magmaeduct out of alunite blocks, almost going insane from the dwarven inability to construct walls ("creature occupying tile").

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8438 on: April 01, 2014, 07:11:49 pm »

Couldn't figure out why my dwarves weren't using the minecarts I designed my fortress layout to have to move things. Turns out I forgot to set what the minecarts actually moved.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8439 on: April 02, 2014, 10:22:41 am »

I learned that floors and walls are always magmasafe AFTER spending two in-game years constructing two large basins and a magmaeduct out of alunite blocks, almost going insane from the dwarven inability to construct walls ("creature occupying tile").

I don't see that as a major facepalm, unless you were low on magmasafe materials. Unless you meant cavern floors and cavern walls?

Constructed walls and floors are always magmasafe though, even constructed ICE walls.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8440 on: April 02, 2014, 12:25:00 pm »

Came out of a siege, ordered the collective of available weapons and ammo, got frustrated when the orders were ignored, only afterwards realized that I forgot to cancel the burrow restrictions.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8441 on: April 02, 2014, 04:52:00 pm »

I don't see that as a major facepalm, unless you were low on magmasafe materials. Unless you meant cavern floors and cavern walls?

Constructed walls and floors are always magmasafe though, even constructed ICE walls.

Or wood.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8442 on: April 03, 2014, 12:11:48 am »

I offered wagon wood to the elves; they excepted it.  >:(
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8443 on: April 03, 2014, 12:13:14 am »

I offered wagon wood to the elves; they excepted it.  >:(

.......................Wat.

fragfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8444 on: April 03, 2014, 01:27:15 am »

Well, I somehow assumed the natural walls of my basins and magmaeduct would not be safe from magma, so I enlarged it and plastered everything with alunite floors and walls. Took me ages, and nothing useful got done because everyone was carrying stone blocks around and building walls/floors.

It also cost me two dwarfs because I finally found out the hard way when someone dropped the block of a deconstructed floor (above the reservoir, for magma workshops) into the basin. While dousing him and a nearby child in magma, the block also punched a hole into the floor and emptied the alunite basin into some leftover dugout below.

All the while I could have just used the dugout basin/magmaeduct as it stood and started everything two years earlier.

Also, there apparently is a way to make even guided minecart routes dangerous. If the dwarf guiding the cart is an off-duty soldier and gets activated while guiding it up some ramps, he will let go of the minecart - which will then immediately roll back into him. Though I'm not entirely sure if it was him guiding it or another squad mate a few z-levels up the route, a compound fracture in the hip and leg seems a bit harsh for a wooden minecart rolling down 1 z-level?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:32:55 am by fragfish »
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 729