Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2131134 times)

Horseplank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #960 on: January 25, 2010, 02:30:07 am »

Embarking in a place with no dirt/sand/loam and not realizing it until it was far too late.
The Wolf's head flies off in a bloody arc!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: January 25, 2010, 05:02:48 am »

^ Isn't possible - you have to have at least some soil to embark anywhere. You likely weren't digging in the right embark tile.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: January 25, 2010, 05:16:36 am »

Is that how it is impossible to embark on mountains?
Meh.

Herroth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: January 25, 2010, 05:35:39 am »

I built a big tree farm.  Thing covered 3/4 my bottom floor and used over 21k units of water.  Had a 6 z-level reservoir filled, and the pump turned off.  Everything prepped and ready.  Pulled the lever.
Two...
Frames...
Per...
Second...
For...
Two...
Hours...
But on the bright side I got some reading done

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: January 25, 2010, 07:44:45 am »

tree farm?

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: January 25, 2010, 07:47:47 am »

^ Isn't possible - you have to have at least some soil to embark anywhere. You likely weren't digging in the right embark tile.
No, I've seen non-mountainous, soil-less embarkable sites before. Usually filled with three kinds of metamorphic layers.

Anyway. I was sending a miner to dig ramps in all the murky pools in the area so that if someone fell in for whatever reason it wouldn't be an automatic drown.

A few minutes later I see a message about his Carve Ramp job being interrupted by a pheasant (dig deeper)... and shortly after, that he had drowned. :|

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: January 25, 2010, 08:21:40 am »

tree farm?

I assume he was growing Tower-Cap mushrooms.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: January 25, 2010, 09:24:28 am »

thats that stuff you start out with right?

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: January 25, 2010, 09:28:18 am »

tree farm?
Tree farm. The discovery of an underground river or lake will trigger an event which makes it able for you to grow tower caps. This is done by muddying underground tiles, which will then act like soil. Trees and shrubs spontaneously grow, but seeing it's undergrounds, the trees are tower caps and the shrubs are the underground crops. When you muddy the floor with the intent of growing tower caps, you make a tree farm. It's not like you build a plot and designate trees for growing. More info on the wiki.

No, I've seen non-mountainous, soil-less embarkable sites before. Usually filled with three kinds of metamorphic layers.
Or ice. Embarking on a glacier will also remove all soil.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: January 25, 2010, 09:31:46 am »

wow thats a great idea thanks

Now my woodcutters wont get eaten by carps

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: January 25, 2010, 10:27:42 am »

I had a facepalm when I realized the secret to getting marksdwarves to patrol right next to fortifications is to put high traffic designations next to the fortifications and low traffic designations behind them. Dwarves will stay as close to the fortifications as dwarvenly possible, only moving away to go around other marksdwarves. Line the parapets with stacks of bolts (I prefer to use excess goblinite, bone just makes the orcs itch) and you can cover the complete outside of your fort with very few marksdwarves.

I also facepalmed when I realized that the best place to engage bow or marks enemies is in the trees. Trees let you get to about 5 squares without them being able to shoot, and lower the collateral damage. Works great.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: January 25, 2010, 10:41:52 am »

Tree farm. The discovery of an underground river or lake will trigger an event which makes it able for you to grow tower caps.

I've done this without discovering either, quite by accident (they grew in the feeder pipe diverted from a brook for my cistern.  Moral of the story is pave over your pipe if you ever plan on shutting it off.).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:45:01 am by sproingie »
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: January 25, 2010, 11:26:57 am »

Due to over zealous typing I used a Bed instead of a Floodgate to hold back some Lava...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 25, 2010, 11:57:59 am »

Due to over zealous typing I used a Bed instead of a Floodgate to hold back some Lava...

Ther was a noble sleeping in it though, so it's all good.

...Right?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 25, 2010, 01:13:16 pm »

Discovering that my new magma cistern in a glacier map suddenly melted down and somehow entered my fort. Fun since it destroyed the emergency lever, and was quite well pressurized.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 729