Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 152

Author Topic: Prospector, a roguelike in development  (Read 275594 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Prospector, a roguelike in development
« Reply #2130 on: November 18, 2013, 08:07:10 am »

and I've never really seen anyone say "I've won the game". Saves just before you won if you have, or it didn't happen.

Well I've gotten enough money to buy an earthlike planet.  In the older version you just needed to find materials on bare planets until you save enough to buy stocks.  Then you buy stocks and fly around carrying cargo so the stock has time to change value.  Stocks were super duper lucrative so I probably could have bought earth with the amount I was earning.

The new version doesn't have the stock market working so you need to prospect longer.  But once you get personal forcefields or reactive armor for every member of your combat team nothing can kill you except for bobby traps and special planets.  So you watch out for those and prospect like crazy.  I've only gotten to around 500k before a glitch destroyed my game but it seems perfectly viable and I never lost a redshirt (<3 my redshirts.)

Finding the bastard alien menace however is a whole other matter...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

generalpie

• Bay Watcher
  • Um, Well, You know...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: November 18, 2013, 09:34:47 am »

Can I have a savegame/error.log for this?

Sorry, ive long since deleted the save.
Wise Words ; Pride is Good. Until it is bad. Then it is bad.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: November 18, 2013, 12:01:02 pm »

Yeah, it would have been nice if they made it easier to find the alien menace.... rather that needing to check every planet in the galaxy.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: November 20, 2013, 06:56:44 am »

The sensors are annoying. Due to the difference in both planet scans and space scans. Especially space scans. With the joys of the squaring of area, 4x4 is so much better than 3x3. Especially as by the time you start to ramp up to level 3's across the board, you're pretty much ready for level 4's, cash-wise and gameplay-wise. Although, it does make tracking down those big ship hulls (and the alien one) all the more lucrative, and gives you a slightly prompted path to the big upgrades or what you should be doing.

Having artifacts be found a little later isn't a huge problem. You'll still get them if you're willing to explore a heap of planets (and have the kit to do so), but they won't be the super-free-boosts that they once were. You used to start getting the best weapons, armour and items while you were still trying to equip your away-team, so now they're ultimate upgrades rather than "you don't need to buy as much equipment because you found the best stuff for free early on in the game" upgrades.
It's a game. Have fun.

IBOL17

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: December 09, 2013, 04:24:12 pm »

Hi again,
Bob from Approaching Infinity.
You guys mentioned my game here long before I did. I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I've got a lot of fans who also love prospector. Hundreds of people have already pledged to Approaching Infinity. It's a great game. Please take a look, and grab some of the awesome rewards while you still can! Name a planet, an officer, a ship, a quest item or a monster. Design a unique item, a letter in an alien alphabet, a playable ship class, or an entire alien race!

It's the Final 48 Hours!

And if you're still upset, please refer to my earlier post. I talked to Matthias before I started this. I also talked about prospector on my comments page, and in my interview! ;)

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: December 09, 2013, 10:27:59 pm »

how do you raise morale? i have tried raising wages, paying musicians in space stations. randomly finding planets without mobs.

moirale drops when i fight even though its a good way to train. what is the best way to manage this?

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #2136 on: December 09, 2013, 10:34:29 pm »

Wow, it seems I missed a lot of development.  Ima check this out again next weekend
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: February 10, 2014, 03:23:40 pm »

how do you raise morale? i have tried raising wages, paying musicians in space stations. randomly finding planets without mobs.

moirale drops when i fight even though its a good way to train. what is the best way to manage this?

hey guys i'm necroing a thread

in r180 i managed to get half my 100 person (ascs ho) awayteam murderized by spoilerbots so morale was so far down it looped back to :D or something

ended up spamming entertainer performances (you get that option when you chat up an entertainer in a bar) for something 1.8k creds worth and the shouting stopped and they loved me again yay

also

seriously though go get that shit RIGHT NOW i need people to figure out the mysteries of the universe i just bruteforce my way though them

i shit you not i just bruteforce my way through everything

used to have ~500 firearms, but everyone died and it's greens again ror

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: March 09, 2014, 09:09:58 pm »

I just downloaded this game. It needs alot more documentation in my opinion because I would says its even harder than DF Adventure mode though much less boring. I have died so much. Also the pirate cruiser option doesnt seem to 'work' in that I can never find a ship to pirate before running out of fuel or hull.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: March 09, 2014, 09:41:12 pm »

Holy shit, I forgot this game existed. This game is FUTTBUCKING AMAZEBALLS. So gud. SO. GUUUUD.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: March 10, 2014, 03:00:35 pm »

Tried again last night. Died 5 times .... in 30 minutes  :-[

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: March 10, 2014, 03:05:31 pm »

Some planets are very dangerous at first, others are quite safe.  Danger doesn't correspond to mineral abundance very much so look for worlds without dangerous terrain and big scary animals when you are starting out.

If you just last long enough, you'll start finding tons of alien artifacts and weapons that will make you well nigh destructible.  Then you just need to avoid getting killed by space stuff or special planets.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: March 10, 2014, 03:45:44 pm »

I've always found mountainous outer-rim planets to be the best for early exploring. The closest distances tend to have big nasties on them, while the no-atmosphere hunks of rock are perfectly suited for passively sweeping up all the data/minerals you can without worry.

Though I noticed in the new version natural creatures very rarely attack my crew, is that true for anyone else?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: March 10, 2014, 05:32:16 pm »

game really needs more regular updates

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: March 10, 2014, 06:54:07 pm »

Well, you could help them. It's semi-open-source and written in BASIC, so there's no real excuse for complaining about updates. Just have a chat with the current code repository holders and start beavering away.
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 152