How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270406 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #525 on: September 15, 2009, 06:32:41 pm »

2. It would be prettier because an entirely different PNG file is used for the 80x25 font, instead of an ugly automatic bitmap-rescale of the small font.

Baughn and some others were discussing TTF/SVG graphics earlier, which are a better solution for this problem than separate fonts.

3. It would automatically snap to 80x25 for worldgen and embark site selection, and then back to the user gridsize for all other scenes.

That's the part that isn't going to happen.  Toady isn't doing extraneous work on the menus as part of 40d## or the upcoming major release.  He also reads the Suggestions forum carefully, so you can be sure he'll see your idea and consider it.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 15, 2009, 08:54:00 pm »

Found an odd speed thing- looking at an (exposed) bottomless pit at surface causes framerate to go from about 180 (when looking elsewhere) to about 80, with no dwarfs doing anything.

Less of a hit but similarly if higher up. I'm thinking it might be how the "is-this-sky-tile" calculation is, but I dunno. (Nor do I know if it's in your branch.)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 16, 2009, 12:47:57 am »

I dunno if anyone else has noticed this, but if I start fullscreen and then later hit F11, I get a D3D state where my whole screen is shredded in a similar fashion to the old XCom UFO output glitch. Oddly enough, if I go back to full screen and then hit F11 a third time to return to windowed mode, everything works properly and no screen glitch is apparent. In older versions of the d##, this didnt work, but now its does Everytime. Not really much of a bug(probably just my ancient integrated chipset), but I thought I get it on record.
Signature goes here.

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #528 on: September 16, 2009, 07:21:44 am »

Whoa, SVG tiles would be simply awesome. I hope it will be implemented in some manner.
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 16, 2009, 07:39:49 am »

Baughn and some others were discussing TTF/SVG graphics earlier, which are a better solution for this problem than separate fonts.
Separate fonts can have some advantages of its own: I would rather like to see a setup that swaps from graphic to pseudo-ascii as zooming out shrinks the tile size below a certain point.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 16, 2009, 10:45:30 am »

Separate fonts can have some advantages of its own: I would rather like to see a setup that swaps from graphic to pseudo-ascii as zooming out shrinks the tile size below a certain point.

Personally, I'd be fine with switching between two resolutions of the same tileset, or just between two tilesets with seperate resolutions; I have no use whatsoever for the scratchy mismatched resolutions inbetween.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 16, 2009, 03:49:33 pm »

Quote from: Baughn
Why not just have a "load" option that scans some directory for more interface files?

You could certainly download more from the wiki, but I'd like to make the game as self-contained as possible, and something as universally needed as a laptop interface.txt ought to be bundled with the game.
Say, now that you ha'e it set so you can multibind, why ot just change the interface init so it'll work with either by default?
Though I suppose the way hotkeys display, the user won't notice this way.
Spoiler: "LaptopOnly" (click to show/hide)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 16, 2009, 08:38:47 pm »

Second on the SVG support, saw the bumped post on the mods forum.  Any chance of this being implemented, Baughn?  I know you said you wanted a tile set to justify implementing it.  I probably couldn't produce anything unless large amounts of free time and talent fell on my head, but I am an Inkscape enthusiast, so I'd love to see the option.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 16, 2009, 10:43:34 pm »

I notice that my dwarves don't clean up muddy tiles. Has anyone else noticed this? Yes, my tiles are smoothed.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 16, 2009, 11:25:59 pm »

Is there any way to disable the interface options and the resizable windows and zoom and all that? I prefer a fixed window.

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 16, 2009, 11:34:00 pm »

Hi everyone, just want to share this:

I am very pleased to report that this version (40d16) works surprisingly well on an old Mac G4. These days I'm stuck with an old computer at home: a 1.25GHz Mac Mini G4 with 512 MB RAM and just a handful of free gigs on the hard drive. I'm runnng Mac OS X 10.4.

I tried the 40d version and it ran but very very slowly. Took hours to get through the first seasons.

Just for the heck of it I tried the 40d16 - I was pretty sure it would simply not run but OMG! I get decent frame rates! Around 100 FPS with the first batch of 7 dwarves.  I tried with a small World (65x65) and a 4x4 map and I hope keeping the pop under 30 or 50ish will keep the game playable.

Zoom works, mouse works, windows resize works the dwarf are happy (for now) and running around pretty fast (toward their doom probably). I already dug out my first levels, started some industries and exploratory mining and eveything is very smooth.

Sorry if this has been already reported I haven't read all the thread.

[EDIT:BTW to get it to work on Mac OS X 10.4 I couldn't just double click on the df script like in 10.5, I had to "get info" on the df file to tell it to open it with Terminal.app]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 11:40:10 pm by nonobots »
Playing DF on a Mac.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 16, 2009, 11:57:53 pm »

3. It would automatically snap to 80x25 for worldgen and embark site selection, and then back to the user gridsize for all other scenes.

That's the part that isn't going to happen.  Toady isn't doing extraneous work on the menus as part of 40d## or the upcoming major release.  He also reads the Suggestions forum carefully, so you can be sure he'll see your idea and consider it.
Really? All that would be needed is for him to add one function call (which would be implemented on the 40d## team's end) on entering a locked-80x25 screen, and one on leaving it.  The fact that the game can cope with zoom changes at any moment indicates the really hard work at his end has already been done.

You might be trying to say that support for exceptional 80x25 screens is redundant with recoding those screens to flexibly use the entire grid -- which is something Toady might get to eventually but not now.  But the screens that most concern me -- worldgen and embark site selection, fit perfectly well in 80x25.  There's no other use for the extra screen real estate, so I'd prefer to consume it with a big font.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 17, 2009, 01:29:12 am »

Embark selection with greater viewpanels would be soooo much nicer though.
Worldpainter and worldgen/legends views are about the only things that aren't actually menus atm.

Perhaps when Toady gets around to fixing the "no inter-region-tile forts" artifact.
Tilesets

tmountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 17, 2009, 09:33:18 am »

For some reason, the graphics are totally corrupted when I try this under Ubuntu Linux 9.04. I welcome suggestions.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 17, 2009, 10:23:05 am »

For some reason, the graphics are totally corrupted when I try this under Ubuntu Linux 9.04. I welcome suggestions.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All of the characters seem to have been changed to the one two tiles to the right. Check your tileset?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 64