How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270410 times)

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #885 on: January 19, 2010, 03:41:13 am »

Don't know if anybody has encountered this one, yet: 40d16 will not generate large daggers.

This is not an issue with broken downloads, and it is rather odd, in the manner of its occurrance. The game recognizes that there is such a thing as a dagger (and will allow skill selection to members of any race that can create large daggers); however, no such dagger will exist in-game; and yet, they CAN be crafted (or even embarked with) in fortress mode.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 19, 2010, 04:01:11 am »

Which 40d16, now? Not getting th't problem w/Linux version.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 19, 2010, 11:48:40 am »

From the wiki:
In Dwarf Fortress, any dagger is "large". Large daggers are wielded by Kobold and Goblin thieves only. They do small slashing damage, but have a critical bonus, which means they usually are not anything to worry about, but occasionally get brutally lucky.

In adventure mode, no other race has them or can even start with one. If an adventurer finds one of these weapons, they can train with them. Those who use daggers always do slashing damage with them, there is no stabbing for piercing damage. In this game they are basically small swords, as they can sever limbs as well on a lucky hit.

These weapons use the Knife user skill.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 19, 2010, 03:10:58 pm »

b/c kobolds and goblins' entities have
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_DAGGER_LARGE], the others do not.

Not starting with them does sound like a bug, but it should happen in40d too - none of th't should've changed.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 19, 2010, 07:56:18 pm »

From the wiki:
In Dwarf Fortress, any dagger is "large". Large daggers are wielded by Kobold and Goblin thieves only. They do small slashing damage, but have a critical bonus, which means they usually are not anything to worry about, but occasionally get brutally lucky.

In adventure mode, no other race has them or can even start with one. If an adventurer finds one of these weapons, they can train with them. Those who use daggers always do slashing damage with them, there is no stabbing for piercing damage. In this game they are basically small swords, as they can sever limbs as well on a lucky hit.

These weapons use the Knife user skill.

Seems this is true, upon testing older versions... Thank you for the clarification. Still sounds like a bug, though.
Dev-status:

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 19, 2010, 08:00:30 pm »

Please explain wh't you mean by "will not generate".

B/c I've seen many a kobold with dagger at their cave home.
Tilesets

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 20, 2010, 12:34:14 am »

In that when "spawning" a character in adventure mode, as a knife user, you will spawn high in skill, but clothed in little more than a backpack (if you are lucky).

Such is what was ment by "will not generate".
Dev-status:

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 20, 2010, 12:43:14 am »

In that when "spawning" a character in adventure mode, as a knife user, you will spawn high in skill, but clothed in little more than a backpack (if you are lucky).

Such is what was ment by "will not generate".

This does sound like a bug.  If it's not specific to 40d16, consider submitting a bug report (I already checked the bug list and searched the forum and it doesn't seem to have been reported before).

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 20, 2010, 01:40:22 am »

Definitely happens on d16...'nd I might know why.

E'er seen a squad of knife-users? I don't think it's defined properly/at all in the code that makes military folk.  I suspect if you could start an adventurer with title Thief it'd start with knife and sack.

...Actually, this is almost definitely it: when starting a 'knife user' character, the farlook still says recruit for your title.

...99.9% sure on it:
Spoiler: Stringdump excerpt (click to show/hide)
There is no knife-user military position, and Thief must be defined by some other thing. So, when it goes to decide your equipment, it sees "Recruit" and gives no dagger.

Posted to Bug reports...link
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:48:42 am by CobaltKobold »
Tilesets

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 20, 2010, 07:42:55 pm »

OK, now I'm angry.

My laptop is so out of date that nVIDIA (which is the graphics card I'm running) no longer have an option to update my drivers.

So there is no way I can play any of the OpenGL versions of DF without completely upgrading my computer.

Which is what I'm doing fairly soon, but it's goddamn annoying.

Does anyone know where I can download 40d11 from? The wiki says it's stabler than the other versions.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 20, 2010, 07:45:53 pm »

Does anyone know where I can download 40d11 from? The wiki says it's stabler than the other versions.

Got it by tweaking the 40d16 URL: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_28_181_40d11_win.zip

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tilesets

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 20, 2010, 08:28:11 pm »

OK, now I'm angry.

My laptop is so out of date that nVIDIA (which is the graphics card I'm running) no longer have an option to update my drivers.

So there is no way I can play any of the OpenGL versions of DF without completely upgrading my computer.

I've had success with www.laptopvideo2go.com.  The issue is not that the drivers won't work on your laptop, but that the installation file is designed to not recognize your laptop due to agreements nVidia makes with laptop manufacturers.  It's easily avoided, though, once one knows how the installation files operate.  The site's FAQ might make the details clearer.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 21, 2010, 12:29:22 am »

Thanks. I'll check it out.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 21, 2010, 07:52:12 am »

Also, 40d17 has a pure-2D mode that doesn't depend on opengl at all. It should work fine, and if your laptop is as old as you say it might not even be slower.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 64