Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Volatar TV Live - OFFLINE - Playing Age of Wonders II: The Wizards Throne Co-op  (Read 13450 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Deflectors and Aegis Deflectors, in or out? What about limited to one Aegis? Maybe if you limit its coverage to, say 180 degrees if its centre is directly behind the core, 90 degrees if its centre is otherwise behind the core, or a maximum coverage of 45 degrees of the core's aspect if the centre of the Aegised section's centre is positioned ahead of the core? And the sections would have to be panels that hostile ships could get guns through, no indestructible cones...

Changing the size of components, especially to stupid proportions, to create series of all-encompassing armour plates or to artificially bulk up a small ship's HP with micro-sections?

What about making a ship so ugly that your opponents gouge out their eyes and are therefore no longer capable of effectively modifying their ships?(warning, I am immune to ugly)

Can we modify our ships between opponents? What about between matches against a single opponent?
 (I would assume that you can swap-in or add new components as they are researched...)

When does optimising become cheap? When does 'pretty when it explodes' stop being awesome?

P.S.
 Random research, even more than random parts, could leave the person who failed to research point defence missiles 3 times slightly frustrated at facing someone who somehow successfully researched Aegis deflectors and double-strength lasers...
 This could be mollified somewhat by adding a bonus to all subsequent research for each failure. Adding a static number of points towards research for each attempt, granting the new technology when enough is gained, would completely alleviate this, but would completely alleviate any surprises too...

P.P.S.
 I don't really want to spend too long designing my ship until I know what components I have access to...

P.P.P.S.
 Oh, right, for initial research people could issue three requests, with a (number) after it to indicate how many times it should be repeated if it fails.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 03:18:33 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile

I vote against deflectors. A vote for deflectors is a vote for less explosions!

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist

Deflectors and Aegis Deflectors, in or out? What about limited to one Aegis? Maybe if you limit its coverage to, say 180 degrees if its centre is directly behind the core, 90 degrees if its centre is otherwise behind the core, or a maximum coverage of 45 degrees of the core's aspect if the centre of the Aegised section's centre is positioned ahead of the core? And the sections would have to be panels that hostile ships could get guns through, no indestructible cones...
Researchable, but not given by default. Keep in mind these ships are being piloted by the AI.
Changing the size of components, especially to stupid proportions, to create series of all-encompassing armour plates or to artificially bulk up a small ship's HP with micro-sections?
Due to the way ship section hp is based on the base hp and the cost is based on the base hp and number of sections this would not work.
What about making a ship so ugly that your opponents gouge out their eyes and are therefore no longer capable of effectively modifying their ships?(warning, I am immune to ugly)
Then you win  ;)
Can we modify our ships between opponents? What about between matches against a single opponent?
 (I would assume that you can swap-in or add new components as they are researched...)
Hmmm... I found out that I cannot do this live, its all going to be Youtube (the reason for this is that livestream sucks, so I have to use Skype screen share for Shad0w, and can't do that for others). I don't want to slow things down a lot.

Heres an idea: You create a couple configurations of your ships and combinations of your fleet and I'll IM both parties between matches.

This is assuming that matches take the short time I expect them too. If each match is 4-5 minutes or more than I will totally allow switching out. I expect them to only take 2 minutes each or so, and as such want to get them all over with.

More testing will be needed on that front. This whole thing is a new idea.
When does optimising become cheap? When does 'pretty when it explodes' stop being awesome?
?
P.S.
 Random research, even more than random parts, could leave the person who failed to research point defence missiles 3 times slightly frustrated at facing someone who somehow successfully researched Aegis deflectors and double-strength lasers...
 This could be mollified somewhat by adding a bonus to all subsequent research for each failure. Adding a static number of points towards research for each attempt, granting the new technology when enough is gained, would completely alleviate this, but would completely alleviate any surprises too...
This is already factored in to the way Shad0w handles the research rolls. For example: I was rolling for a weapon (I think) and I failed the first time with a 2/3 chance. On the second attempt I automatically succeeded.
P.P.S.
 I don't really want to spend too long designing my ship until I know what components I have access to...
I don't want to actually start the game thread and then discover that I cannot actually do the whole thing. I am working out the technical details. When those are sorted out I will start the signups and you will receive your weapons. Patience my young padawan...
P.P.P.S.
 Oh, right, for initial research people could issue three requests, with a (number) after it to indicate how many times it should be repeated if it fails.
Or you could just IM Shad0w.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Due to the way ship section hp is based on the base hp and the cost is based on the base hp and number of sections this would not work.
Well, I can only think of one reason to want a really small ship with high HP, and that is rather dubious, but I was referring to size, not price.

As for the large component issue, if I made a ship that consisted of layers of circular components, such as the shields, then most weapons would have to go through every single section to get at the core, and you could do this with just about any sprite just by playing with the size. It would be ugly, and boring, but should be much more effective then anything that would look half-decent...
 Which raises another question, parenting, what if someone decides that they want to parent everything to the core?
Heres an idea: You create a couple configurations of your ships and combinations of your fleet and I'll IM both parties between matches.

This is assuming that matches take the short time I expect them too. If each match is 4-5 minutes or more than I will totally allow switching out. I expect them to only take 2 minutes each or so, and as such want to get them all over with.
Cool, I was expecting a break between each rank of the tournament for repairs and rearming. But to have the whole thing over with in one sitting would be kind of awesome...
I guess I will just assume that all my research pays off, and if by some miracle it does, then much carnage will be felt by my enemies, if not, then, well, everyone will miss out on seeing the horrors I created with unlimited technology. Well, I might not assume that ALL of my research pays off...
?
Just wondering where exactly I should position myself between making cool ships and trying to win, which can occasionally conflict...
I don't want to actually start the game thread and then discover that I cannot actually do the whole thing. I am working out the technical details. When those are sorted out I will start the signups and you will receive your weapons. Patience my young padawan...
P.P.P.S.
Yeah, I should have my patience up and running soon, it is just taking a while to warm up. I am probably also nervous that I might take too long to build ships, but meh, its time will come when it comes, which will probably be sooner if I stop bugging the GM...

I am just thinking of a format so that people can get all their research done with one post instead of waiting for each result before continuing, which is something I have seen happen all too often.

P.S.
 Sorry, it really is warming up, I promise, but just to be clear, we cannot PM Shadow for research joy until the game starts...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

Well, I can only think of one reason to want a really small ship with high HP, and that is rather dubious, but I was referring to size, not price.

As for the large component issue, if I made a ship that consisted of layers of circular components, such as the shields, then most weapons would have to go through every single section to get at the core, and you could do this with just about any sprite just by playing with the size. It would be ugly, and boring, but should be much more effective then anything that would look half-decent...
 Which raises another question, parenting, what if someone decides that they want to parent everything to the core?
I'd like to set a strict limit of two size increments in either direction.(Maximum of 1.20 x and y axis)
 The circular components trick... I don't really know...
 And if you parent stuff in a lame way, I'll just re-parent them, don't make my life hard and I won't make yours hard.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Then everyone think he is an asshole who just wants to win.

My opinion is that everyone should focus on making cool ships. It isnt about the winning. Its about awesome ships exploding into millions of bits.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So from X1.2 Y1.2 to X.8 Y.8 or X1.2 Y.8 if you are feeling silly?

P.S.
 cerapa raises a valid point... Style it is! Oh, wait... Trying to win may be the only style I have, maybe I could steal some... Anyone mind fighting a poorly rendered copy of the Mona Lisa?
Read the First Post!

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist

STOP POSTING! I NEED TO REPLY TO ALL OF YOU!  :P

I'd like to set a strict limit of two size increments in either direction.(Maximum of 1.20 x and y axis)
 The circular components trick... I don't really know...
 And if you parent stuff in a lame way, I'll just re-parent them, don't make my life hard and I won't make yours hard.

You cannot have a small ship with high HP due to the way base HP is based on section count.
I agree with shad0w on the resizing restriction to simplify things, though I don't think we should set it as a solid rule. I think it would be better if it was a guideline. I think that Shad0w and I could just set down the rule that we will judge if anything is unfair in each specific case.

However, I do think I will set the rule that no piece can cover more than 180 degrees of your ship, so no circular shields. (however, you can RESEARCH shields... :))

Parenting must make sense, and if you don't have it make sense, Shad0w will make it make sense  >:(

Just don't try anything funny and you have tons of freedom really.

Then everyone think he is an asshole who just wants to win.

My opinion is that everyone should focus on making cool ships. It isnt about the winning. Its about awesome ships exploding into millions of bits.

I think that would be best. Maybe the contest should be on which ships look coolest in the fight, rather than who actually wins.

And interesting idea... hmmm... An interesting idea that I really like. It would make most of these things on fairness obsolete.

If we go that route, we will need a third judge I think.

Cool, I was expecting a break between each rank of the tournament for repairs and rearming. But to have the whole thing over with in one sitting would be kind of awesome...
I guess I will just assume that all my research pays off, and if by some miracle it does, then much carnage will be felt by my enemies, if not, then, well, everyone will miss out on seeing the horrors I created with unlimited technology. Well, I might not assume that ALL of my research pays off...

Each match is a complete battle with total annihilation of one side. Having it be 2 out of 3 was to make sure the randomness of a certain battle doesn't cause someone who normally would win to lose.

?
Just wondering where exactly I should position myself between making cool ships and trying to win, which can occasionally conflict...
P.P.P.S.
Yeah, I should have my patience up and running soon, it is just taking a while to warm up. I am probably also nervous that I might take too long to build ships, but meh, its time will come when it comes, which will probably be sooner if I stop bugging the GM...

I am just thinking of a format so that people can get all their research done with one post instead of waiting for each result before continuing, which is something I have seen happen all too often.

P.S.
 Sorry, it really is warming up, I promise, but just to be clear, we cannot PM Shadow for research joy until the game starts...

Hehe, I am starting to consider putting the thread up now, just so you guys can start.
Your idea on the research was fine, IMing Shad0w would probably work better, but you can go your route. You don't need to post your research attempts publicly, as we will be posting research results and attempts publicly anyways (again, look at Shad0w's BSF strategy game for how that goes)

Now. I really need to take a Shower. I hope no one else has posted while while I was typing all this... DARNIT RAM!

So from X1.2 Y1.2 to X.8 Y.8 or X1.2 Y.8 if you are feeling silly?

P.S.
 cerapa raises a valid point... Style it is! Oh, wait... Trying to win may be the only style I have, maybe I could steal some... Anyone mind fighting a poorly rendered copy of the Mona Lisa?

That would be totally awesome. See my above idea on this not being about who wins, but who wins or loses in the most style.

If we do go with the style idea, then I may totally rewrite the rules to be way more lenient in every way.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

I sure hope this doesn't end up being a beauty pageant.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist

I sure hope this doesn't end up being a beauty pageant.

Lol. I gtg to work right now, but when I get back I will Skype you and we can talk.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe a mix of both? People get points for winning and points for having cool ships.

Stops this from being an entirely visual or practical thing.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile

...Now I have to join this. I have never actually used custom sprites, you know, my ships were made with nothing but standard sprites. Now I'm gonna have to learn how to use those, but I should probably finish that big oaf I've got sitting around on my hard drive someday too.

EDIT: This might possibly be one of the ship's I'll enter:

It's got 14 sections. 15 if you count the core, I guess.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 01:48:19 pm by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

It's got 14 sections. 15 if you count the core, I guess.
Core doesn't count.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Used a mix eh?

Looks really cool though. Crystalline.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist

...Now I have to join this. I have never actually used custom sprites, you know, my ships were made with nothing but standard sprites. Now I'm gonna have to learn how to use those, but I should probably finish that big oaf I've got sitting around on my hard drive someday too.

EDIT: This might possibly be one of the ship's I'll enter:

Feel free to still use the stock sections if you wish. Your not required to use any of the sprites from the sprite pack.

Dude that is one awesome ship. You have proved that you can mix SW and normal sprites and have them look not only good, but awesome!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8