Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26

Author Topic: Eccentric player behaviors  (Read 49010 times)

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eccentric player behaviors
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2009, 12:55:48 pm »

What I find weird about my behavior when playing DF is that I really like to get a muckload of dwarves in one fortress (about 120- 180), and then pick several of them depending on their likings, their family etc. and give them apprenticeships to titles,(actually also giving them the title apprentice first) like for example, I always have a female dwarf with the title  of Hammerqueen, with the position of captain of the guard, a kickass hammer, a custom name and a really nice living complex consisting of a nice room, hopefully with an artifact bed, an office, dining room, and a realllly nice family tomb made for her and her children, that, btw are going to inherit the title.
I also create some trio of champions, like I currently have three speardwarves that can singlehandedly kill 80 gobbos in a row(provided they don't have crossbows in large amounts)
I would even savescum, just to save these guys from a pathetic death. Does anyone else do this sort of stuff?

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2009, 01:24:38 pm »

My veterans get the kind of treatment my nobles could only dream of. War heroes get decked out tombs and if they get too injured to fight anymore they get sent to a peaceful retirement of training the next batch of recruits (till one of them manages to kill him) or as a member of the fortress/royal guard.

I just feel like it's the least I can do for what are arguably my most useful and competent dwarves.

I also like to buy and chain up the most exotic creatures I can find. Giant Eagle at the front door, Elephants guarding my tomb, etc. etc.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 03:34:30 pm by Fien »
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2009, 03:32:29 pm »

My starting seven recieve the highest in treatment, and each successive immigrant wave is largely segregated from any other, some forts even have seperate complexes, if they don't have a pick then they can starve  >:(

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 15, 2009, 10:31:42 am »

I always have a huge spherical central chamber, which everything else is connected to. Said chamber varies in size from fort to fort, but always contains another sphere 3 tiles smaller in every dimension. Said second sphere is supported by supports at the top and bottom (floor on top is supported by a support hanging down from the ceiling above).
At least 8 supports are always used, and each is linked up to a pressure plate in a 6x6 room in one corner of the fort. These pressure plates are trigger able by cats / kittens.
The room consists of alternating doors - walls, with all the doors locked.
A complicated series of pumps and tunnels is set up to fill the secondary sphere with magma, and is then dismantled once this is complete.

Once the fort is up and running nicely and has a population of 60-80 (or when I get bored), I throw a newborn kitten into the pressure plate room.

This way, after a while the kitten / cat will step on the pressure plates in the right order, and all of the supports will deconstruct.
As the pathing of the cat determines when the secondary sphere will explode, It always comes as a nice surprise, especially if the statue garden is located in the central chamber.
I always like to imagine the last conversations of the doomed dwarves;
"So Urist, hows the wife?"
"Oh she's fine, she made a nice gauntlet yesterday"
"Good for her! Hey have you heard about Tekkud?"
"No, why?"
"Well, apparently he started muttering about cave spider si-OHGODITBURNS!"

Urist McSmallTalk has cancelled conversation: Magma
*assorted screaming and burning hilarity*
Urist McSmallTalk has died in the heat.

EDIT: Unrelated to Dwarf Fortress, whenever I make myself a cup of tea / coffee, I always pour out two mugs, So I can have a half-empty one and a half-full one.
It also give me opportunities to use 'me, myself & I' jokes, most of which are tired and old.
Usually something such as
"Why do you have two cups of tea?"
"Well, one's for me, the other is for myself, and I isn't thirsty."
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 03:36:03 pm by NewoTigra »

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 15, 2009, 03:46:47 pm »

I would even savescum, just to save these guys from a pathetic death. Does anyone else do this sort of stuff?

I savescum because my game usually crashes a lot before the yearly autosave - but I get your point. I've sometimes let whole megaconstructions go to hell just for the lulz, but if Urist McChampion dies during a stupid sparring session...

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2009, 05:15:01 pm »

I savescum because my game usually crashes a lot before the yearly autosave - but I get your point. I've sometimes let whole megaconstructions go to hell just for the lulz, but if Urist McChampion dies during a stupid sparring session...

That actually happened recently to me. A most devastating thing ... but I didn't savescum.

Due to the undead always harassing my strawberry farms, fisherworkers and woodcutters - I put a couple of recruit groups on permanent patrol. They took turns of 6 months and it solved the problem.

When they're not patrolling the groups practiced like crazy. A tantrum spiral hits and one group is destroyed, the other is fine. The two dwarves are women, one with an axe the other with a hammer. Together they're boasting over 150 kills. Dwarves, goblins, elves, undead and a surprising amount of camels.

Now the thing is that they were both legendary wrestlers and such - and the hammerdwarf was the leader of the group. They've proven to be extremely dangerous and deadly, but the axe had almost twice as many kills as the hammer. I went and gave them nicknames and they are a separate squad of the military now - only that deadly duo is needed to repel an entire goblin siege.

But then it happened. The axedwarf MURDERED the hammerdwarf during sparring. I found it shocking! It was only a short while after I named them and decided, against the evidence of who was the best warrior - appointed the hammerdwarf the leader.

I took great pleasure in imagining the murder and the hidden jealousy behind the scenes here. I just might make an illustrated story about them!
 Another story I could make is the terrible fate of a family during the tantrum spiral. A child managed to murder her own mother! She had 4-5 siblings and one of them was only a baby who now commited suicide. The entire line dwindled to an end in that horrible spiral. My clerk endured much hardships as well, she lost her entire family...

Fort is filled with orphans. 4/5 children have lost both their parents.

This will all become visual in a blog eventually ... would you count this as eccentric behaviour?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2009, 05:19:11 pm »

pretty normal by most standards I'd say...

...jk, would probably count as eccentric behaviour by the game / dwarves themselves, unless of course you deliberately planned the tantrum spiral...?

Quite an awesome story though.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2009, 05:25:56 pm »

pretty normal by most standards I'd say...

...jk, would probably count as eccentric behaviour by the game / dwarves themselves, unless of course you deliberately planned the tantrum spiral...?

Quite an awesome story though.

I didn't plan it. When it started I just figured it'd sort itself out ... and when it didn't I hurried to put together a zoo and fill it with all animals I could think of - unfortunately these included captured undead creatures and goblins.

Everyone gathered in the zoo and it wasn't long before they tantrumed, went berzerk and such and the entire zoo was filled with gore and violence. Also they tore the cages apart and released the hostile creatures so ... it didn't help... I'm keeping a log on the side so I can write this illustrated blog when the fortress has ended - and that year alone 145 dwarves died. 135 from the tantrum spiral.
I have an art blog now.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2009, 05:28:51 pm »

jeezebus. That's more than most of my forts have in total. I usually only get to about 100-120 then get bored and initiate the magma bomb countdown kitty.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 15, 2009, 05:44:09 pm »

jeezebus. That's more than most of my forts have in total. I usually only get to about 100-120 then get bored and initiate the magma bomb countdown kitty.

Yes well ... someone had to go and create a native platinum amulet that as worth more than colorado - and immigrants showed up like crazy... and then they married!
I have an art blog now.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2009, 05:47:09 pm »

Yes well ... someone had to go and create a native platinum amulet that as worth more than colorado - and immigrants showed up like crazy... and then they married!

I imagined you saying that with a particular stress on 'someone' and looking around menacingly at something nearby.
Then sighing at the end.

Probably a reflex from reading tons of stuff, and voicing out dialogue in my head. It helps with story immersion.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2009, 05:49:46 pm »

I imagined you saying that with a particular stress on 'someone' and looking around menacingly at something nearby.
Then sighing at the end.

Probably a reflex from reading tons of stuff, and voicing out dialogue in my head. It helps with story immersion.

I'm not bitter about it though. Let me check the log ... ah yes .. Minkot Trenchpulleys threw a tantrum and destroyed his own bed - upon which he was beaten to death.

In a way he brought it upon himself. or herself. I never took note of his/her sex.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 05:53:50 pm by Aspgren »
I have an art blog now.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2009, 09:00:01 pm »

I always make one room per dwarf. When they die I turn their room in to a tomb for them. They have all their possessions and if they have a pet it gets locked in the room till it dies. The rooms always get locked after the coffin is made.

DocFaustus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2009, 11:30:25 pm »

I tend to invert the standard viking funeral bit. Instead of returning only Legends and Champions to the stone/ magma (by either immolating them or dropping them down a chasm) all good dwarves are permitted the honor of going to Armok in the afterlife... except Legends, Champions, most Nobles and the Starting Seven. Legends and the Seven are given ornate tombs built near to the magma/ chasm, but still within the realm of the living, such that their Paragon wisdom might forever bless the fortress and guide its people. Nobles don't get to go to Armok because... well, they're nobles. We tell them its because its their duty and honor to remain forever with us, but really its just because everyone suspects that Armok doesn't want to deal with their crap, and knows that those dwarves in the Deep Paradise definitely don't. After they die, all the decorations in their tombs get deconstructed and moved elsewhere, in the knowledge that, in death, their spoiled little spirits will be kept from doing anything about it by those ancestors that people actually like. Nobles aren't actually told any of this, and all noble tombs are sealed after the noble has taken up residence, to prevent accidental revelation.

For added devotion to Armok, I'll build the Paragon tombs with grates for ceilings, and drop captured goblins a bunch of z-levels down onto them, such that their blood might drip down to rejuvenate the spirits of the honored ancestors contained within. Nobles sometimes get open-top tombs such that whole goblin bodies can be tossed down there, or, if I really didn't like the bastard, live goblins can be released to defile the tomb with their presence.

Kobolds will occasionally be dropped into the chasm/magma, partially because I've always felt sorry for Kobolds, and feel they deserve some manner of pleasant afterlife, and partially to give those in Paradise something to play with.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 11:35:34 pm by DocFaustus »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2009, 01:04:35 am »

What isn't worth more than Colorado?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26