Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4447 4448 [4449] 4450 4451 ... 8158

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8856286 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #66720 on: October 20, 2013, 11:39:32 pm »

Today over 300 homes were destroyed or damaged in bush fires across the state. Normally we don't see fires this severe until the peak of summer, so a lot of people are worried about just how bad it might get. Half my fucking country is burning down and there is a thick cloud of smoke over Canberra. God it is depressing.
Thinking of joining the volunteer fire service for the summer, but I'm not sure if I would actually be helpful. Too small to carry a person or handle a high pressure hose and I can't drive, so feeling a little useless.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66721 on: October 20, 2013, 11:39:52 pm »

Hmm something sad...

How about anyone with real problems seems incapable of seeing eye to eye with someone with more personal problems.
Define "real" and "personal" problems. Because I'd say personal problems are real problems.

I'm guessing you mean "external" vs "internal" problems, but not certain.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #66722 on: October 20, 2013, 11:42:39 pm »

Today over 300 homes were destroyed or damaged in bush fires across the state. Normally we don't see fires this severe until the peak of summer, so a lot of people are worried about just how bad it might get. Half my fucking country is burning down and there is a thick cloud of smoke over Canberra. God it is depressing.
Thinking of joining the volunteer fire service for the summer, but I'm not sure if I would actually be helpful. Too small to carry a person or handle a high pressure hose and I can't drive, so feeling a little useless.
Bloody hell, I forgot about that. There's only been one fire that I know of in Adelaide fortunately, but you could smell it all freaking day.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66723 on: October 21, 2013, 12:00:09 am »

* Descan dumps a few million tons of water on central Australia, creates an in-land sea.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #66724 on: October 21, 2013, 12:01:25 am »

It is troublesome that it's such hard work to make myself into the sort of person who does hard work. Every day just feels a little heavier than the last. Frustrating. But this needs to happen. I am going to make a better me out of me, or die trying. Or suffer some manner of mental breakdown trying, but same basic thing.

Less important than the fires thing, though. I hope that they spread more slowly than evacuations, so there's fewer to no more casualties before they burn out.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66725 on: October 21, 2013, 12:03:53 am »

Everything smells like smoke and my view's gone to shit.
>Not-combustible-world problems
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66726 on: October 21, 2013, 01:37:32 am »

Burning places. Here. Have our rain. Seriously, it's been raining damn near a week pretty damn steady. There was even a time where the only rain in the southern half of the province was over us. So depressing, especially because we can't do shit at work when it rains. You wind up sweeping the workshop all day, splitting wood, or raking leaves.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66727 on: October 21, 2013, 01:40:08 am »

Actually rain is part of the problem. Heavy flooding this year has damaged bush trails, delaying back burning efforts, as such we were even less prepared for this than usual. Scorching fires and flooding rains, and nothing in between...

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66728 on: October 21, 2013, 03:53:34 am »

-snip-
-snop-

If I may be an ass for a moment, I just think it should be said as part of the conclusion. It seems hypocritical to decry someone else's beliefs as unverifiable and dogmatic, using an argument based on your own unverifiable and dogmatic opinions regarding their beliefs/emotions/experiences (those being things you do not, and cannot know). If nothing else, the irony is apparent, yeah?

Also, just because you have not yet experienced unconditional concern or love for others, or given something without seeking something in exchange (not even "good feelings"), doesn't mean no one does, or that you won't experience it some day. And, when faced with other people's experiences that indicate that they have or do experience these things... well, there's nothing that makes your opinion about what they experience more valid than their own experiences, correct? In fact, aren't other people the only ones with any basis for knowing what they experience? Wouldn't thinking you know their feelings and experiences better than they do be a little arrogant, and (again) dogmatic?

Absolute knowledge is something you can't have. You can extrapolate and approximate, sure... but truly knowing another person as you know yourself is impossible. A limit we all share. As such, it's wise for us to admit the fallibility and limited scope of our observations, feelings, and opinions. None of us have seen everything, so none of us can know everything.

This is why it's important to respect opinions held by other people, even if we disagree with them.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66729 on: October 21, 2013, 04:07:15 am »

Personally I don't think anybody has ever felt unconditional love, there are only those lucky enough to not have those conditions breached, and go about foolishly thinking those conditions do not exist. There is always a breaking point. Always. We are but chemicals, and as such thins of a physical nature. Perhaps it might take brain damage that removes your capacity to feel at all, but lets not be romantic about it, love is all chemistry, and it can be given, copied or extracted, theoretically at least. Just because we lack the technology to do such things is not proof of supernatural feelings that exist in some other sense than reality.
But that is taking things further than they need be. Even without looking at the brain on an molecular level, you can break a heart, you can condition one out of their feelings. Those that feel that there love is without condition are woken to a very harsh reality every day, there is always an expectation of some sort of return on investment, even if the cost isn't that great. Some will stand for another not returning their emotions, or even a level of abuse, but you can only go so far.
You might say that those who have this change of heart never really had unconditional love at all, but then I guess none of us are a true Scotsmen, right?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #66730 on: October 21, 2013, 04:28:06 am »

-snip-
-snop-

If I may be an ass for a moment, I just think it should be said as part of the conclusion. It seems hypocritical to decry someone else's beliefs as unverifiable and dogmatic, using an argument based on your own unverifiable and dogmatic opinions regarding their beliefs/emotions/experiences (those being things you do not, and cannot know). If nothing else, the irony is apparent, yeah?

Also, just because you have not yet experienced unconditional concern or love for others, or given something without seeking something in exchange (not even "good feelings"), doesn't mean no one does, or that you won't experience it some day. And, when faced with other people's experiences that indicate that they have or do experience these things... well, there's nothing that makes your opinion about what they experience more valid than their own experiences, correct? In fact, aren't other people the only ones with any basis for knowing what they experience? Wouldn't thinking you know their feelings and experiences better than they do be a little arrogant, and (again) dogmatic?

Absolute knowledge is something you can't have. You can extrapolate and approximate, sure... but truly knowing another person as you know yourself is impossible. A limit we all share. As such, it's wise for us to admit the fallibility and limited scope of our observations, feelings, and opinions. None of us have seen everything, so none of us can know everything.

This is why it's important to respect opinions held by other people, even if we disagree with them.

Once again, human thoughts are not magic. They have no individual existence outside the brain - someone has brain damage, he has very visible and verifiable changes in his behavioral patterns. Brain is a physical structure and can be and is studied. Human behavior, likewise, can be and is studied. Every human is unique, but it doesn't mean that his DNA uses different bases, it doesn't mean his cells are shaped differently, it doesn't mean his internal organs work in a different way - and his brain, likewise, doesn't use anything other human brains don't.

Like MSH said - would you love someone if he started committing atrocities? If one day, he woke up and decided that from now on, he will begin every day with torturing a kitten to death? If the answer is 'no', the love is not unconditional. If it is 'yes', I'm very seriously concerned. And not in the 'TAKE THAT, PERSON I'M TALKING TO!' sense, actually worried.

Your argument could be used to claim that fairies exist - after all maybe you haven't seen one, but there are people who claim they did and you can always start seeing them, so you cannot claim they don't exist.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66731 on: October 21, 2013, 05:16:34 am »

So I'm not sure what to do. The counselor I went to see a long time ago, apparently I received another bill from them, for something like a $100. I don't understand WHY though, it has something to do with insurance wanting me to cover part of the cost... but I thought I already handed over my co-pay? Was this about the third meeting that I cancelled? I don't get it fully, this is unexpected. What's the point of even wanting to get therapy if I'm always going to be running into shit like this.

I'm also a little ashamed of myself today, for wanting to use a 'trick' to try to get back in touch with the girl I dated a long time ago. I just thought of it while waking up today, but while I was laying in bed I was putting the plan together in every detail. The idea being that I'd send a fake text message to her that would be written out like it was a reply to someone else, and that I'd simply sent it to her by mistake. In my imagination, of course she'd reply back wondering what the heck the text was about, and I'd explain to her, but the gist of it was that even though relations have frozen between us, this would be the new ice breaker to start things up again.

I was so excited, jumping out of bed thinking "Yes! This is what I'll do today! Finally I have a plan! This'll work, surely! This'll work! This will be the new ice breaker!!!..." and I didn't even make it to the light switch of my room before realizing how pathetic and desperate I was being. What's wrong with me.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66732 on: October 21, 2013, 05:19:18 am »

How about a text that just says "Wassup?"? Everything will flow smoothly after that - humans are amazing at talking about nothing. Just look at Congress :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66733 on: October 21, 2013, 06:12:07 am »

How about a text that just says "Wassup?"? Everything will flow smoothly after that - humans are amazing at talking about nothing. Just look at Congress :P

I can't help but feel that at this point, that'd just be desperate fishing for attention. She made the message clear by ignoring me once, I don't need to denigrate my pride further.

My mind was just thinking about her cause I pathetically can't get anyone else in my life.  That's it...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #66734 on: October 21, 2013, 06:39:05 am »

I can't help but feel that at this point, that'd just be desperate fishing for attention. She made the message clear by ignoring me once, I don't need to denigrate my pride further.

My mind was just thinking about her cause I pathetically can't get anyone else in my life.  That's it...
"Hey I really A, B, C, (...), en Y, but you're probably easier to get. Wanna see a movie or something?"

If it works, it won't fail.
Pages: 1 ... 4447 4448 [4449] 4450 4451 ... 8158