Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5196 5197 [5198] 5199 5200 ... 8158

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8854249 times)

4maskedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ghost of Forumites Past
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #77955 on: July 03, 2014, 09:25:43 pm »

OKay...

sorry to bother you all with that...
A flitting shadow, wandering the hidden paths of the forums.  Long since lost to humanity, it's path follows no discernible pattern, simply observing that which goes on around it.  If you have found it, it is already too late for you, for none may see its silent journey.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77956 on: July 03, 2014, 09:27:07 pm »

Just to clarify since you responded after the edit, I meant to get her professional help, not you 4maskedwolf.

4maskedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ghost of Forumites Past
    • View Profile
« Reply #77957 on: July 03, 2014, 09:29:02 pm »

Just to clarify since you responded after the edit, I meant to get her professional help, not you 4maskedwolf.
I knew that

Sorry to bother you all with that... it isn't my place...
A flitting shadow, wandering the hidden paths of the forums.  Long since lost to humanity, it's path follows no discernible pattern, simply observing that which goes on around it.  If you have found it, it is already too late for you, for none may see its silent journey.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77958 on: July 03, 2014, 09:32:26 pm »

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:47:58 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #77959 on: July 03, 2014, 09:33:52 pm »

Wait, why wouldn't it be your place? This thread is for everyone, you included.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #77960 on: July 03, 2014, 09:37:29 pm »

Yeah, nothin' wrong with the post you made or anything. You did right, as far as I can tell.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77961 on: July 03, 2014, 09:38:51 pm »

I don't understand why you would think we are bothered or angry, or that you have a "place" you need to "get back to."

We're saying this because a lot of us have been in your shoes, and regretted accommodating and allowing the manipulation like this to continue.

We're saying call her on it because that's the only way to shortcircuit the inevitable spiral we all see happening here, where you try and placate her to "prevent her killing herself," and she see's it working, so she does it again, or uses some other manipulation, and brings you under a bootheel, where you do anything she says and don't speak up or she'll threaten again, perhaps even cut herself to "show she means it."
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 09:40:26 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77962 on: July 03, 2014, 09:52:59 pm »

I am really exhausted right now. I didn't sleep last night (for a good reason. :) ) and then worked a ten hour shift at work. A hard ten hour shift. And I get to do it again tomorrow. In a grocery store. Right next to a lake. On the Fourth of July. Right next to where TWO fireworks shows take place. In a tourist town.

Protip: It's gonna be so fucking insanely busy. o.o
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #77963 on: July 03, 2014, 11:04:43 pm »

D&D 5th core rules are out. I'm actually still hopeful that the system will be better than 3.5, but it's not going to be the system I actually wanted to see. The "Spellcasters are the only one who really matter" philosophy is still hard at work driving their vision of the system, which is a huge turnoff for me. I'm still digging into this, but the opening chapter is very much not promising, and other reactions seem to confirm that they built a game where you're told that swinging a piece of metal a couple of extra times is considered as valuable as "effects previously impossible for player characters to achieve".

Ah well. I do like some of what I've read so far, so it's not as though I have a good reason for actual nerd rage. And it's not like they really ever promised anything different, truth be told.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #77964 on: July 04, 2014, 02:45:25 am »

D&D 5th core rules are out. I'm actually still hopeful that the system will be better than 3.5, but it's not going to be the system I actually wanted to see. The "Spellcasters are the only one who really matter" philosophy is still hard at work driving their vision of the system, which is a huge turnoff for me. I'm still digging into this, but the opening chapter is very much not promising, and other reactions seem to confirm that they built a game where you're told that swinging a piece of metal a couple of extra times is considered as valuable as "effects previously impossible for player characters to achieve".

Ah well. I do like some of what I've read so far, so it's not as though I have a good reason for actual nerd rage. And it's not like they really ever promised anything different, truth be told.
Aw. I'll have to get those now, but I'm already sad from what you said. I was hoping for an approach to the non-caster classes similar to the Tome of Battle for 3.5.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #77965 on: July 04, 2014, 03:10:26 am »

I knew that

Sorry to bother you all with that... it isn't my place...

Huh? No way. We just don't want to see you abused, hon. You haven't done anything wrong.
^This, 4masked buddy. This.
We don't want to see anyone abused, actually.

In that predicament, professional help is the best you can get here. While manipulation may not be the thing (ok, it's generally the thing) on why she said that [ie She may have just said that because {stuff} and not manipulation], getting aid to help you both there is advisable.

Or maybe you're sorry for 'wasting our time'? :P
I know that attitude a lot, silly [the sorry thing in that context]. Y'ain't wasting our time.
Ever.

As Toady said (aha), the sad thread/emotion threads (ok the emotion thread part is inferred) is much like Life Advice because serious things pass through here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77966 on: July 04, 2014, 03:34:26 am »

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:47:44 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77967 on: July 04, 2014, 03:45:56 am »

The 'one that got away' always seems like the best option in hindsight, just the same as the grass is always greener on the other side. Don't worry about it, something better will most likely come up if you keep an eye open.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77968 on: July 04, 2014, 03:51:10 am »

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:47:40 pm by Vector »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #77969 on: July 04, 2014, 04:35:08 am »

Out of books to read, so I can't read in bed, so now it takes ages to fall asleep because I keep thinking about my crush >.<

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 5196 5197 [5198] 5199 5200 ... 8158