Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4632 4633 [4634] 4635 4636 ... 8159

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8883806 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #69495 on: January 27, 2014, 03:06:31 pm »

I've been aware of more obvious examples, but it's insane how misogyny can be so subtle (and yet so strong) :( It's just so hard to realise how bad it gets when you're not targeted because you're a guy.

Graknorke, yeah, so did I, until I talked to the women I know who are more informed and aware of this subject.

As a tiny fraction of the things we discussed, part of this is that "a grown man begging for prettier jewellery" is only funny because we live in a misogynous society. If there were no gender biases it wouldn't be funny. It would simply be a ... representation of a more vapid person. So instead of laughing around a boardgame, I'm now moping that I find this funny, when it shouldn't be, and that playing the game promotes the status quo and can put the women in the group in undesirable situations :(

Why couldn't it be the men who are interested in getting well-dressed for the ball? Because that's not what men do? That's what women do? .....

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69496 on: January 27, 2014, 03:17:27 pm »

Graknorke, yeah, so did I, until I talked to the women I know who are more informed and aware of this subject.

As a tiny fraction of the things we discussed, part of this is that "a grown man begging for prettier jewellery" is only funny because we live in a misogynous society. If there were no gender biases it wouldn't be funny. It would simply be a ... representation of a more vapid person. So instead of laughing around a boardgame, I'm now moping that I find this funny, when it shouldn't be, and that playing the game promotes the status quo and can put the women in the group in undesirable situations :(

Why couldn't it be the men who are interested in getting well-dressed for the ball? Because that's not what men do? That's what women do? .....
But the game isn't taking that seriously. It takes the generic cultural expectations to the extremes to show that it would lead to everybody being more-or-less dysfunctional as a member of society.

Also a grown man begging for prettier jewellery is equally as funny as a woman doing the same. Overplayed stereotypes are funny. It has nothing to do with actually enforcing them on people; quite the opposite.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69497 on: January 27, 2014, 03:19:25 pm »

misogyny being subtle? my own mother taught me that women belong in the kitchen (after she came home from work of course)

but then i stopped giving a fuck about matters as shallow as these a long time ago and started gaming the system, a thing more people should do instead of going "B-BUT MY GENDER IDENTITY!" i mean sure if you really really want to be a man or woman and take on all the bullshit gender roles that society enforces be my fucking guest i'll do your hair or help you pick out a suit even but don't come to me whining that it's not all roses and daisies and people instead of f.ex. doing just about everything for you (because you're dumb enough that they can't expect you do anything anyway) scream and bitch to high heavens because you're apparently expected to give them sex in exchange ror

that was a friendzone example some of you might be familiar with, so if i fucked up in explaining it properly someone fill in the blanks okay thanks

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69498 on: January 27, 2014, 03:21:38 pm »

Gender roles are pure bullshit, plain and simple. If we spent more time doing what we wanted, instead of what other people want us to do, the world would be a much happier place.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69499 on: January 27, 2014, 03:22:13 pm »

Overplayed stereotypes are funny. It has nothing to do with actually enforcing them on people; quite the opposite.
No. Overplayed stereotypes are only funny to people who are not constantly exposed to malicious/thoughtless jokes based on those same overplayed stereotypes. After a certain amount of exposure it can feel very discomforting to the targeted demographic. You only think it's funny because you're not the target and/or are a snowflake, which is what Anvilfolk is getting at.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #69500 on: January 27, 2014, 03:22:42 pm »

Gender roles are pure bullshit, plain and simple. If we spent more time doing what we wanted, instead of what other people want us to do, the world would be a much happier place.

This
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69501 on: January 27, 2014, 03:23:20 pm »

Overplayed stereotypes are funny. It has nothing to do with actually enforcing them on people; quite the opposite.
No. Overplayed stereotypes are only funny to people who are not constantly exposed to malicious/thoughtless jokes based on those same overplayed stereotypes. After a certain amount of exposure it can feel very discomforting to the targeted demographic. You only think it's funny because you're not the target and/or are a snowflake, which is what Anvilfolk is getting at.
>Am black
>Thinks black jokes are funny

Want to try again?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69502 on: January 27, 2014, 03:24:16 pm »

I already put the disclaimer in my post. You are a snowflake.
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69503 on: January 27, 2014, 03:26:40 pm »

there's a lot of snowflakes in the world then, willfor. you sure there's enough patterns for them to all be unique?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69504 on: January 27, 2014, 03:29:45 pm »

Yes, there are millions of snowflakes in the world. They can't speak for the experiences of people who are actively oppressed by these jokes. Just as I can't tell Graknorke what he can and can't find funny himself, Graknorke can't tell people that they can't be offended by being constantly regarded as a stereotype, and then not feeling like laughing at jokes directed toward their self-identity.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69505 on: January 27, 2014, 03:37:22 pm »

Yes, there are millions of snowflakes in the world. They can't speak for the experiences of people who are actively oppressed by these jokes. Just as I can't tell Graknorke what he can and can't find funny himself, Graknorke can't tell people that they can't be offended by being constantly regarded as a stereotype, and then not feeling like laughing at jokes directed toward their self-identity.
There is a difference between making fun of stereotypes and applying those to real people. People can generally distinguish the two.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69506 on: January 27, 2014, 03:46:55 pm »

There is a difference between making fun of stereotypes and applying those to real people. People can generally distinguish the two.
I think we have a fundamental disconnect on just how hurtful the average person in society can be, and their willingness to learn about other people other than in broad generalities. That's what informs my opinions, and I'm sure it's what informs yours. We're going to have to agree to disagree on this, because neither of us are going to change each other's fundamental trust/distrust of humanity.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69507 on: January 27, 2014, 03:50:05 pm »

People still fall for stereotypes, sadly. My sociology class erupted into a massive argument last week because quite a few males in the class believed that women were, as a gender, too physically weak to do any types of activities such as sports or physical labour. We were discussing reasons why female sports receive less attention then male sports when someone shouted out the reason above, and people started agreeing with him.

The teacher wasn't amused, and spent the next hour or so explaining the physiological differences between males and females, then called out any male who wasn't physically fit enough to meet the male stereotype.

My sad of the day: The basement is freezing. Upstairs is nice and warm, but down here the windows aren't caulked properly.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #69508 on: January 27, 2014, 03:56:57 pm »

"I just want to be who I am, a racist misogynistic asshole who harasses children going to school with unprovoked angry tirades about blood and death. Let me be who I am inside, Mr. Oppressor."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69509 on: January 27, 2014, 03:57:32 pm »

"I just want to be who I am, a racist misogynistic asshole who harasses children going to school with unprovoked angry tirades about blood and death. Let me be who I am inside, Mr. Oppressor."
See, if everyone would just let me punch out people like this, like I was born to...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 4632 4633 [4634] 4635 4636 ... 8159