Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698615 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2670 on: March 11, 2010, 12:47:58 pm »

Beautiful spritework on those brook tiles, all. I've not got the talent for high-color spriting, and lack in visual creativity at times, having only basic art training, and learning spriting on heavily indexed pallettes and low-res DOS-era stuff. Still haven't shaken the habits, hence some of the stylized retroness going on. :P

It's a tall order, but some day when this engine is finished, I hope to see a tileset in that style. It looks nice.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: March 11, 2010, 02:06:42 pm »

...spriting on heavily indexed pallettes and low-res DOS-era stuff. Still haven't shaken the habits, hence some of the stylized retroness going on...

But that's what I like about Stonesense...
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: March 11, 2010, 02:37:06 pm »

So, ah, what versions of DF does this work for? I can't get it to work with the latest d19.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: March 11, 2010, 02:38:44 pm »

I think work on d18 was done, if you look back a few pages. Last stable I used was d16 though... you might need to backtrack a few builds. :P

...spriting on heavily indexed pallettes and low-res DOS-era stuff. Still haven't shaken the habits, hence some of the stylized retroness going on...

Don't get me wrong, I like the Retro too, hence why I'm doing it. Heck, I'm full of myself, so by default anything I do is the most magnificent thing I've ever seen. More seriously though, it's my chosen style, and works really well when making things tile without obvious edges and repetition and such.

I just happen to really like the complex textures and rich colors used in those tiles too, and it's a technique I've never yet been able to master. Maybe some day... *wistful eyes*

tobias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: March 11, 2010, 02:41:34 pm »

Unless of course somebody wants to make custom sprites for all 7 depths of brook, which would end up looking pretty good probably, but may be more effort than it's worth.
Not perfect, but it's a start.

I made the bits sticking out looks like stones instead of mud/dirt. Didn't occur to me when I made the original, but having the water levels brought it to my attention. I'm astounded by your ability to change the water levels without having the original file, by the way. You're a great sprite maker.

Here's a version that takes the water sections and makes them able to see through to the ground in the alternate transparency method found in the already existing water tiles.

Here I brightened up the water a bit, since now it looked a bit odd in Stonesense.

So, ah, what versions of DF does this work for? I can't get it to work with the latest d19.
To get it to work with d19, you need to go to the Stonesense Directory and replace your Memory.xml with this version (you may wish to make a copy of the old one, just in case).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 06:59:15 pm by tobias »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: March 11, 2010, 02:53:41 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I like the Retro too

*obligatory cough cough* >_>

I do like those brook tiles that are developing in the thread. Hopefully someone will manage to test them in Stonesense and see how they work with everything else.

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: March 11, 2010, 11:00:22 pm »

I'm astounded by your ability to change the water levels without having the original file, by the way. You're a great sprite maker.
I've been spriting since I was about 2 years old, and most of that was modifying other sprites. I didn't actually get out of MS paint until highschool(new version sucks though).
I was really lucky, your water practically drained itself.

----------

Uploaded my today's project. Directional smoothed+constructed stone
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:Stonesense/Content_repository#Terrain
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 01:07:32 am by Dark_Tundra »

tobias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: March 12, 2010, 02:50:22 am »

I'm astounded by your ability to change the water levels without having the original file, by the way. You're a great sprite maker.
I've been spriting since I was about 2 years old, and most of that was modifying other sprites. I didn't actually get out of MS paint until highschool(new version sucks though).
I was really lucky, your water practically drained itself.

----------

Overhanging floors need borders, it took me way too long to figure out what was going on there. o.o
It looks nice, though.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: March 12, 2010, 03:16:19 am »

ok, I think I've gotten this to some level of stability.

I'm working on an experimental build that gives proper transparencies, resizeable windows, and TTF fonts.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1914

while I like to think that I got the bugs worked out, I know that there's some that I know nothing about.
anyway, if you find a bug in this version, either PM it to me, or post it here. don't bother jonask about it.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #2679 on: March 12, 2010, 03:40:09 am »

@ Tundra, I am impressed! You really got how the terrain walls are working! And the sprites are very well done; on behalf of all of us, thank you

@ japa: As I've said before, I'm really digging the way your branch is heading. Can't wait to get this into the official release (like we talked about in private). How is performance going? Is the Allegro preview still a little sluggish?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:42:55 am by jonask84 »

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: March 12, 2010, 04:11:35 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyone wants to tidy it up, go for it.
I've tried to clearly comment the xml with which value is which wall, so most of the trial and error is done for you already.

also I wanted to get rid of a lot of the unnessecary overhang, but I'd need to be able to sort the diagonals out to prevent punching holes on the Unreachable side of things.
like this post:
Just say, "hypothetically" I wanted to set up a wall tile to be one sprite if adjacent to 3 or 4 walls (not counting diagonally), and another otherwise. Is this possible for me to set up with current stonesense? or would this kind of functionality destablize the program?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: March 12, 2010, 05:26:28 am »

@ japa: As I've said before, I'm really digging the way your branch is heading. Can't wait to get this into the official release (like we talked about in private). How is performance going? Is the Allegro preview still a little sluggish?

performance is great!

from what I've seen, it seems to be comparable or better than current trunk.

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: March 12, 2010, 06:36:26 am »

if you find a bug in this version, either PM it to me, or post it here.
I'm not sure it's a bug, but I'm not seeing any fog.
Code: [Select]
[SHOW_FOG:YES]
[FOG_RED:0]
[FOG_GREEN:0]
[FOG_BLUE:0]
[FOG_ALPHA:128]

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: March 12, 2010, 06:43:04 am »

yeah, fog is currently not working, but it'll get done.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: March 12, 2010, 09:19:41 am »

ok, I think I've gotten this to some level of stability.

I'm working on an experimental build that gives proper transparencies, resizeable windows, and TTF fonts.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1914
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ooh, that looks fabulous. I was just about to take some Undergrotto screenies, too; having colour would be amazing. When I have time later today I'll test it out and let you know what bugs I find.

Edit- Works very well; my issues are that the 'i' key doesn't seem to be deactivating zone view, and the natural keypress-response time (or whatever it's called) is insanely fast, though I think you can change that in the init. As a side note, as nice as the new font (edit: yeah, mistyped the first time) looks, I liked the old one better :P But it's great that the capability's there.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:17:53 pm by Retro »
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 379