Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698800 times)

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
Re: Stonesense - Official thread - Now 31.21 compatible
« Reply #5145 on: July 13, 2011, 02:57:52 pm »

OK. Guys with ubuntu-derivated linux distros:

Your distro packagers and developers are crazy and decided that the user has to be protected at the cost of debugging ability. There's no whitelist for apps, just a big ON/OFF switch.

So, open /etc/sysctl.conf as root/with sudo and add those two lines:
Code: [Select]
kernel.randomize_va_space=0
kernel.yama.ptrace_scope=0
This disables address space randomization (google ASLR for details) and enables debugging again.
Reboot, those are kernel options.

Windows people:
Make sure your anti-malware tools don't block things silently (some do that). Try running stonesense as a different user (admin). Try moving it to a different folder.
There's a lot of security options in Windows, something you installed in the past might have flipped a few bits somewhere and then I probably won't be able to help you.

I don't know which exact MSVC redistributable the current release of Stonesense uses. There are multiple service-packs for some of the older ones, and having an older service-pack can lead to weird crashes... so make sure you have the latest ones.

The opening of the window way out of screen space is a mystery to me though. Unfortunately, none of my systems are able to run the windows stonesense, so I can't check.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:01:41 pm by peterix »

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: July 13, 2011, 04:31:09 pm »

OK. Guys with ubuntu-derivated linux distros:

Your distro packagers and developers are crazy and decided that the user has to be protected at the cost of debugging ability. There's no whitelist for apps, just a big ON/OFF switch.

So, open /etc/sysctl.conf as root/with sudo and add those two lines:
Code: [Select]
kernel.randomize_va_space=0
kernel.yama.ptrace_scope=0
This disables address space randomization (google ASLR for details) and enables debugging again.
Reboot, those are kernel options.

Windows people:
Make sure your anti-malware tools don't block things silently (some do that). Try running stonesense as a different user (admin). Try moving it to a different folder.
There's a lot of security options in Windows, something you installed in the past might have flipped a few bits somewhere and then I probably won't be able to help you.

I don't know which exact MSVC redistributable the current release of Stonesense uses. There are multiple service-packs for some of the older ones, and having an older service-pack can lead to weird crashes... so make sure you have the latest ones.

The opening of the window way out of screen space is a mystery to me though. Unfortunately, none of my systems are able to run the windows stonesense, so I can't check.

Great points, and a ton of help. Any idea about this error in the Stonesense log:

Stonesense launched
Using allegro version 5.0.0 r1
DFhack exeption: SHM ACCESS DENIED

DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #5147 on: July 13, 2011, 05:49:41 pm »

Stonesense launched
It's accessing invalid memory or it was barred from accessing DF's memory entirely. The wording has changed in the newer dfhack versions to better decribe what memory address was accessed. Can't tell you anything more I'm afraid...

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: July 14, 2011, 10:12:49 am »

Stonesense launched
It's accessing invalid memory or it was barred from accessing DF's memory entirely. The wording has changed in the newer dfhack versions to better decribe what memory address was accessed. Can't tell you anything more I'm afraid...

No worries, that's more information then I've gotten yet. I'll try shutting down my security software to see if it works better.
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: July 16, 2011, 10:41:04 pm »

Wait so how are people enabling the million visible grass types instead of the square colored tiles?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5150 on: July 20, 2011, 12:40:28 pm »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5151 on: July 20, 2011, 12:55:45 pm »

Everything?

Metal or obsidian tiles? Namely the obsidian wall tiles?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: July 20, 2011, 02:25:13 pm »

Did the text always have a background?  Brick sides on the ramps?  Other than that... clueless.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: July 20, 2011, 02:33:45 pm »

That's the arena?

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: July 20, 2011, 07:31:30 pm »

What does Game mode:0 and Control mode:4 mean?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: July 20, 2011, 08:25:52 pm »

Game mode and control mode are two variables that control what gamemode the game is in.  Adventure mode arena mode and dwarf mode mostly.  Mixing and matching them can change dwarf mode into adventure mode in a hacky kind of way.  I think DFHack can do it.

As for what the values mean I have no idea.  I just know what they do.  But I think 0, 4 isn't unusual.

Theres that kinda map looking thing at top right, but it may just be a feature I never noticed before.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: July 20, 2011, 08:50:40 pm »

it's the map read time.

it's usually 200ms or something.

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: July 20, 2011, 09:10:21 pm »

it's the map read time.

Was this from updates in DF hack?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: July 20, 2011, 09:47:20 pm »

it's the map read time.

Oooh! Does this mean that some of the code in Stonesense has been optimized to run faster? :o [crosses fingers] (The CPU & gfx overhead prevents me from using Stonesense very much...)

No, wait... Let me guess: You've been trying out the new integrated DFHack with Stonesense so it has more direct access to DF memory?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:49:58 pm by Thundercraft »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: July 20, 2011, 10:25:10 pm »

the second one.

on the graphics side of things, it's still the bloated mess that it's been ever since I took over the project.
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 379