Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698855 times)

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #720 on: November 11, 2009, 02:08:38 pm »

Fiddled with my dwarf a bit, added a hat and made it more pallete-swap ready for indicating different jobs.

It looks great, shame there wasn't enough space for the smiley, though. Still, nice.
Why do you want a smiley on it?
Because of the classic TPS Interpretation of dorfs.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 11, 2009, 02:10:59 pm »

Uh, I don't think that the smiley is necessary. The overall image is already bright and life-promising, while in fact all of your dwarves may die in a terrible way almost instantly under certain circumstances, so I don't think that you should push the "happy tree friends" theme even further.

It's just my own opinion, but I hope other people think this way too :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #722 on: November 11, 2009, 04:16:51 pm »

Heh, so I just explored the HFS...
Minor rant follows:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Gah, broken gameplay mechanic!

At any rate, just wanted to let you all know that I'm ready to start implementing the hfs stuff...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 11, 2009, 04:31:17 pm »

Yeah, it totally sucks now, and yeah, it's going to be much better next version.

KFD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 11, 2009, 04:41:35 pm »

Looking at some of the examples Hyptosis posted, could the program be made to load different tilesets depending on the surroundings? For example, leave what we have now for the upbeat good aligned areas, use something like the very bottom right of http://www.lorestrome.com/pixel_archive/M01.png for evil areas, and some kind of middle ground for neutral areas?

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 11, 2009, 05:09:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure we can change tiles for evil areas, but that's a bit down the road :)

All artists: I've started work on organizing and dividing out the needed artwork. I'm not at all sure if this is the way we should do it, but it's a starting point. This is a wish list of sorts, so feel free to grab whatever you'd like :)

You can find the list here:
http://code.google.com/p/stonesense/wiki/SpriteList

@Hyptosis: Im really impressed by your stuff man, seriously good work :) We would love having your help on the project, any kinds of sprites in particular you like to work on?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 05:33:43 pm by jonask84 »

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 11, 2009, 05:33:47 pm »

Whats with the rock walls? Shouldn't those just be palette shifted?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: November 11, 2009, 05:58:00 pm »

Whats with the rock walls? Shouldn't those just be palette shifted?

Yeah, I think it would make sense to leave out the sprites that are planned to become obsolete.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 11, 2009, 06:27:40 pm »

I'm pretty sure we can change tiles for evil areas, but that's a bit down the road :)

All artists: I've started work on organizing and dividing out the needed artwork. I'm not at all sure if this is the way we should do it, but it's a starting point. This is a wish list of sorts, so feel free to grab whatever you'd like :)

You can find the list here:
http://code.google.com/p/stonesense/wiki/SpriteList

@Hyptosis: Im really impressed by your stuff man, seriously good work :) We would love having your help on the project, any kinds of sprites in particular you like to work on?

Consider it done. For now I think I'll make a cage trap when I get back from school, but I don't think that with a one tile limitation I'll be able to make a falling one. Maybe one that is hiding in the floor???

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #729 on: November 11, 2009, 06:56:20 pm »

I don't know if this was reported, but I remember having an obsidian fortification flooded with magma, and the magma in that tile was drawn one z-level above the floodgate. I might be able to get a picture at some point if this wasn't clear.

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: November 11, 2009, 07:07:00 pm »

Thanks all for the feedback on my dwarf, and I loved that viking helm edit :D

And that's a decent layout for assigning artwork tasks, it's good to just set some guidelines so we're not doing repetitive work.

If you guys don't mind, I'd like to churn out the goblins and kobolds. I've made and collected quite a few designs for kobolds and goblins during the crazes when Goblin Fort and Kobold Camp were popular :)

But this does bring up a question: What style kobolds are we going with?

Kobolds have two differnet interpretations in fantasy: small, scaley, thin lizard people; or the gnoll-like hound/wolf people. I haven't found an official statement from Toady on which style they are in DF, but it seems that since we have Lizard Men in the game, but no Gnolls, that it would make sense to go with wolf people.

For reference, these are the lizard-like kobolds (from DnD):

And the wolf-like kobolds (from Ragnarok Online):

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: November 11, 2009, 07:36:56 pm »

I don't know if this was reported, but I remember having an obsidian fortification flooded with magma, and the magma in that tile was drawn one z-level above the floodgate. I might be able to get a picture at some point if this wasn't clear.
Yeah, that one's a REAL melon scratcher... It even happens when in single layer mode. I've seen it in my own fort, and I'm gonna figure it out.

@Rooster: Yeah you gotta be clever about the traps. I think Toady once commented on it, saying something like 'they spring out'.

@tehmarken: About the Kobolds, I think whenever I've seen them in DF tilesets or DF related art they look something like these cute little guys:
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/epic/images/gobbo/koboldandthemoon-full.gif
I've heard people say it before (in this thread) that that's the kinda kobolds they wanna see :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 07:40:49 pm by jonask84 »

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: November 11, 2009, 07:46:06 pm »

Yeah, those are the kind of wolf/puppy people I'm thinking about. I have some free periods today at school, so I'll try to throw up a protype in the next few hours :)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: November 11, 2009, 07:52:12 pm »

Kobolds have two differnet interpretations in fantasy:
More than that. "Kobold" ist "goblin" auf Deutsch, ja?

Jonask: uh...you know how many types of stone there are, right? I think it'd be better to get all the basic types done before that.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: November 11, 2009, 07:55:09 pm »

Yeah, maybe so. What types would that be? I'm no geologist, but I guess you could group stones that have similar texture and color...
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 379