Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696518 times)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #975 on: November 16, 2009, 02:15:54 am »

Someone has to open, edit and commit a modification of every creature image which is more then 5 minutes of work.  Why create that work (and the work of putting the shadow in in the first place) if its going to be taken out later, its not like the shadows are adding any real value at this stage, their just a present and future waste of time.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: November 16, 2009, 02:49:38 am »

How bout this tuber?

Seuss, that Tuber is fantastic, as are the rest of the plants! I am enjoying your style a great deal.
You may want to use a dark boarder around the plants, specifically the green leafy parts, to help differentiate them from the grass. You never know what color tile the plant will be on top of, so it's often best to do a dark boarder around these sprites, especially on parts that are "above" the ground.

The Pig Tail I had an issue with from the start as its nothing like I imagine them to be. I picture them to look like cotton plants with a spiralling seed pod but I couldn't make it work so I did the big pink stalks.
First is the old one, next is a redone version and the last is a version flowering assumingly with cotton like fibres.

I rather like the 2nd upright coiled one; it's got more character to it, and  creates a better impression of a singular stalk to me. If you can find a way to create a tuft of cotton-fillaments on the end without it looking like a sparkler, that might help it look more like a seeding plant used for thread; elsewise, certain processed fibrous plants, for instance Hemp, can be woven into coarse garments, so it would still make sense.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 02:52:51 am by Solifuge »

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: November 16, 2009, 03:35:21 am »

The point of the shadow is to create a circular base to complete a 3d illusion. But they could use work.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: November 16, 2009, 03:41:52 am »

Hmmm... I'm thinking a little bit lighter on the skin of those humans, more of a tan colour, so that it could cover humans from all over the world a bit easier opposed to just the warmer regions. :)

I think they're fine as is.  Anyway, more important than color is the fact that they're excellently designed.  My one criticism is that the hammerman's hammer could easily be mistaken for an axe -- a single-headed hammer would probably be more distinct.  Also, maybe make the mace head a touch bigger?  That might give you a little more room to depict those studs (at least I think that's what they are).

My thoughts mirror Footkerchief's. Also, maybe shave a pixel off the sides of the red cheekpad things? They look a bit bloated.

Couple more plants, this time topside. I'm struggling with having thin plants on brown and green as they get lost unless my plant is a radically different colour.

Bloated Tuber, Fisher Berry, Longland Grass, Muck Root, Pickle Berry and Rat Weed

Tuber looks ugly but I don't know what to do to fix it. :'( Help!
The Fisher Berry's berries are meant to be shaped like hooks but look like cherries, I'm ok with that. May fix.
Longland Grass is just a recolour of Cave Wheat as they are the same thing just one grows outside. May tone down the red.
Not much to say about Muck Root, It's uncommon.
Pickle Berry bush was easy wish the others were.
Rat Weed, nobody cares about it.

Again tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can fix it! As an artist you often get used to mistakes and you just don't notice them any more.

I will go over all the plants I post after I have done them all for consistency. It would also be handy to have a definite grass and dirt texture.

I think the bloated tuber is fine as is. Maybe a mottling of grey over it, too?
I think the rat weed needs to be darker and the muck root should be a little larger, wrinklier and browner. Other than that, these are great!

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: November 16, 2009, 03:46:53 am »

Been following this thread for awhile now, and everytime I see the nice pixel art posted here, I get more and more inspired. So I've decided to put that inspiration to use and try my luck with some elves!

From left to right: Bowelf with dried rope reed cloak and hood (for extra ambush action!), Male Elf Wrestler (complete with weedy legs and lack of proper fighting posture), Female Elf Wrestler, Female Elf Wrestler mark 2.

Not really hoping to get anything committed to the project, as I'm still learning the intricacies of pixel art. I just want you guys to keep the artwork coming, because it's all wicked slick!

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: November 16, 2009, 04:55:13 am »

@Darkerdark: I'm digging this, minus the blonde hair.  :P

Also, would love to see some dwarf designs from 7¢ Nickel.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 04:58:04 am by Grif »

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: November 16, 2009, 05:51:42 am »

The original pigtail with the limp/floppy end to it actually looks a lot better to me, and the shadows between the curls looks more distinct to me.  I recognized it immediately as a pig tail, because it's all curly. The 2nd plump helment looks MUCH better, very clear, although I agree it could use extra stem.

I also liked the original curly one most...

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: November 16, 2009, 09:59:58 am »

One thing everyone needs to keep in mind is this.

These are the boundaries of a single tile in stonesense.  If you go below, the floors to the south and east will overlap and cut off your feet.  If you go above, the sprites can overlap with the top surface of the wall, which while not as bad as going below, still looks pretty weird.  Dark's elves for instance look great, but currently suffer from both these problems.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:15:08 am by 7¢ Nickel »

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: November 16, 2009, 10:28:29 am »

Been following this thread for awhile now, and everytime I see the nice pixel art posted here, I get more and more inspired. So I've decided to put that inspiration to use and try my luck with some elves!

From left to right: Bowelf with dried rope reed cloak and hood (for extra ambush action!), Male Elf Wrestler (complete with weedy legs and lack of proper fighting posture), Female Elf Wrestler, Female Elf Wrestler mark 2.

Not really hoping to get anything committed to the project, as I'm still learning the intricacies of pixel art. I just want you guys to keep the artwork coming, because it's all wicked slick!

Nice elves, they even fit with this thing cooperative art spawned.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The plants are looking good, too.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: November 16, 2009, 11:00:15 am »

Wow. I really don't have the time to contribute to this, but it's just so exciting I had to at least try my hand at something interesting.

And so, Beak dog:

I sort of picture it somewhere between a vulture, hyena and velociraptor. It might be on the small side, though. :/
I figured I could use fanciful colours, it being a made-up critter and all.
What do people think?

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: November 16, 2009, 11:10:06 am »

I think it looks great.

I love the plants posted earlier as well.

There are some damn fine pixel artists here.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: November 16, 2009, 02:23:56 pm »

I don't think that they are totally made-up.
They sound like those creatures goblins mount in Labyrinth movie.

I like yours nonetheless.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: November 16, 2009, 02:30:41 pm »

I don't think that they are totally made-up.
They sound like those creatures goblins mount in Labyrinth movie.

Yeah:

Beak dogs are based on Labyrinth and Tremors 2, he he he.
I suppose they shouldn't be called hands, but beakdogs walk on 2 legs.  Vaguely t-rexy hunched over with vultureish heads.

DeKaFu's look good to me.

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: November 16, 2009, 02:33:18 pm »

It could use more gloss and texture on the feathers.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: November 16, 2009, 05:18:41 pm »

@Pubby: That is several kinds of fantastic. Legolord would be so geeked.
Hell yeah!  That is awesome.   I skipped over all the posts between this quote and this post just to say that (which I almost never do!)
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 379