Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698746 times)

Seuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1590 on: November 29, 2009, 07:04:11 pm »

and I guess I might as well throw this in here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dude that's awesome. Reminds me of Diablo and I recon it'd be great for adventure mode.
“Reality is that part of the imagination we all agree on”

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: November 29, 2009, 07:17:21 pm »

The look of donkeys is still freaking me out. They look so muscley and massive, it frightens me.

And maybe it's just me, but the current version of dwarves doesn't feel like we're utilizing the engine. They look just like a normal spriteset for in game, but with stonesense we have so many more pixels to work with and should have more color blending and details.

Keeping everything to scale shouldn't be a top priority in my mind; making things look good should be. Bronze Colossii and Dragons are the same height as an Elephant, a Human, and a Tree. I don't think we should be limiting our artwork with trying to have Dwarves be scaled down.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: November 29, 2009, 07:22:35 pm »

The third one is grrrreat!
It's cool, as Seuss pointed out, we don't ACTUALLY have any pressing matters in terms of gfx :) So feel free to work on whatever you find fun!

and I guess I might as well throw this in here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's awesome! Thank god someone is doing a version with graphics you can actually see and do decent art with.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1593 on: November 29, 2009, 07:26:23 pm »

That's awesome! Thank god someone is doing a version with graphics you can actually see and do decent art with.
Do you mean the default is too small or that too much is obscured by walls?
(Let me just say that the art in the default tileset is much more than decent IMHO).
<3

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: November 29, 2009, 07:39:28 pm »

@Mayday: Looking at that dwarf, I think I know what's wrong. You can see too much leg. Give that it's closer to a top-down perspective, the legs should be obscured by the body and torso more, with mainly just the feet showing.

And in general, are we aiming for any kind of outlining with our sprites? Doing just some ground tiling and dropping my sprites on them I've noticed goblins blend into the grass a lot. Perhaps when they're moving this won't be a problem?

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: November 29, 2009, 07:56:40 pm »

Skeletal and zombie toads done! Edit: Bats too!

God damn skeletal sprites never easy >< and some c&c on the zombie version would be much appreciated. I was thinking of doing the zombie versions like this all with the same palette with a few changed details.. to give a unified look to the undead area's.... not sure though.

To Kaypy: What kind of delay between frames are you using so i can tailor my animations to that?

Its user configurable (so people with slower systems or who get annoyed could tone it down) but I'd be looking at about 100-200 ms per frame... honestly, it could be best described as "about the range that looks ok with your present sprites"

Third one more like you guys picture?

Yep, that one on the right has the zombie aspect. And the skeletons from before are awesome.

And in general, are we aiming for any kind of outlining with our sprites? Doing just some ground tiling and dropping my sprites on them I've noticed goblins blend into the grass a lot. Perhaps when they're moving this won't be a problem?

Most of the current sprites have some sort of outlining.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: November 29, 2009, 08:36:49 pm »

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume this wasn't meant as inflammatory. I've been quite happy with the better part of the graphics contributions, and hope that everyone keeps up the good work!

Skeletal and zombie toads done! Edit: Bats too!

God damn skeletal sprites never easy >< and some c&c on the zombie version would be much appreciated. I was thinking of doing the zombie versions like this all with the same palette with a few changed details.. to give a unified look to the undead area's.... not sure though.

To Kaypy: What kind of delay between frames are you using so i can tailor my animations to that?
Third one more like you guys picture?

Love the movement on the Skeletal Toad and Bat! These are some excellent sprites, Beefmo; I think for Zombie colors, if you stuck with a similar style to the second toad, where you make them a paler/greener tone of their normal color, depending on the sprite (a zombie tiger might have patches of fur missing, open wounds, bone exposed, etc.) The sunken eyes are a great touch, and that makes the face damned creepy, especially for a cartoon-ish style.

The style of outlining you're going with works great with existing graphics too... this is exactly the direction I was shooting for with the original Stonesense graphics, so excellent work!

Beefmo: what program are you using to create your sprites?

My weapon of choice, which I'd highly recommend to anyone doing Pixel-Oriented artwork, is Graphics Gale. It has the simplicity of MSPaint, the filters of Photoshop, layers, transparency, and animation frames, and has tools specifically designed for working in low-res environments, and with limited colors.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 08:51:12 pm by Solifuge »

gilrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: November 29, 2009, 08:46:44 pm »

Zombies: I still think that purple is a good identification color for zombies, and the current ones seem to rely a little too much on the fine detail to be able to identify them at a glance. Maybe add bruised purple patches to the one with the missing skin (maybe even around the missing skin?)
Showing bone isn't so necessary on the frogs because they are a largely round shape, but when dealing with humanoids that have more defined appendages, I think showing bone through the rot is a great idea :)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: November 29, 2009, 09:58:22 pm »

Nearly forgot what I actually hit the forum for this time:

Just a first pass- doesnt do different shadow sizes yet or anything more fancy.

Oh, and one of those harpybats is directly above another, hence two shadows only.

...argh flat shadow on sloped terrain
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: November 29, 2009, 10:20:46 pm »

...argh flat shadow on sloped terrain

MY EYES THEY BURN!!!

Quote from: CobaltKobald
I CobaltKobald am the most evil person alive

I am surprised!

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: November 29, 2009, 10:39:16 pm »

Retry of the zombies i did....

and another animation i tried for the zombie toad... but it doesnt look dynamic enough... maybe the blood drip works better in this one.. or i could change it to a maggot? ><

To Solifuge: That program looks pretty sweet, I'll have to have a play around with it tomorrow... I'm pretty pumped :D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 11:42:12 pm by Beefmo »

7˘ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: November 30, 2009, 12:25:37 am »

I have returned from the land of the dead (Tuscaloosa if anyone is curious) and have started working on shit again.  I'm glad Beefmo is joing in because I'm a big fan of the sets he did for the DF civs and the stuff he's posted so far has been great.  Anyway, now that I'm back I have picked up where I left off and took a crack at making human children.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: November 30, 2009, 01:17:19 am »

Beefmo, looks fabulous. For the zombie giant toad, maybe don't make it move much at all? I mean, it's undead, it doesn't have much of a spring in its step anymore.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: November 30, 2009, 01:35:20 am »

First ever attempt at pixel art;

Satyr

Left image is without borders, right image with,

It's a work in progress, so criticise away  :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 379