Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 443

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 587559 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List
« Reply #2400 on: March 16, 2011, 02:24:20 am »

Book, your comments are inflaming and not needed. You
made a comment that you should not have and I expect
better of you. You are being an immature child, stop.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: March 16, 2011, 02:28:41 am »

Book, your comments are inflaming and not needed. You
made a comment that you should not have and I expect
better of you. You are being an immature child, stop.

Making authoritative proclamations about how immature someone's being (and what they may or may not do) isn't really productive either- especially as you've provided no reasons why. In all seriousness, he'd have a fair amount of ground to claim you're acting like more of an immature child than he is, since he's at least felt the need to explain his assertions.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: March 16, 2011, 02:32:02 am »

I have to say that the "learn the difference between of and have or I will dismiss your argument on those grounds" reeks of immaturity.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: March 16, 2011, 02:34:14 am »

I have to say that the "learn the difference between of and have or I will dismiss your argument on those grounds" reeks of immaturity.
Point.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2404 on: March 16, 2011, 02:38:48 am »

4 cusses
1 link to an old post used out of context
1 attempt to bait others
   All in just his last post. If it sounds like a child, looks like
a child, and responds like a child...

Also if this keeps up we will be in danger of this thread
being locked because of it and this thread is to useful for
that.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: March 16, 2011, 02:44:11 am »

Then you should have said, "Book, in your last post alone you've got four curses, a link to an old post that you're using out of context, and an attempt to bait us. Stop acting like a child" or something similar.

As for getting locked, I think you're overestimating how bad it's getting in here. It's certainly out of character, but as a spike it's really not that bad.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2406 on: March 16, 2011, 02:47:30 am »

I am sorry, you are right I should have included my
reasons. On thread lock, you say it doesn't get that
bad and yet all I have seen of this argument is an
increase in insults. Now of course thread lock is extreme
so maybe it would be limited to banning the people
taking part in it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: March 16, 2011, 02:49:04 am »

... In general, we'd get mutes or warnings before outright bannings.

I've argued far more virulently than this before in the main forum without a word of reprimand.  Far, far more virulently.  Of course, this subforum pretty much exclusively polices itself.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2408 on: March 16, 2011, 02:52:52 am »

I myself have only seen banning and thread lock so I
did not know muting was possible.

Book

• Bay Watcher
  • The Situation being: you ain't confoosed, yo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: March 16, 2011, 03:24:31 am »

The issue, though, is that we don't want to teach them that being on the carpet is bad, or that coming near the guy with the newspaper gets you hit. Not everyone is going to be quite so understanding that you're enraged at their play and utterly disgusted with their actions during the game, and that you mean no particular ill-will towards them in general.

For that matter, I'm not sure how crystal clear you make it that simply not doing that makes everything better again- "I hope it is remembered by [everyone] when these indecent infractors try to join more games" sounds an awful lot like you're trying to run them out of town.
That's why we, unlike dogs, have language. We can tell them what we thought was good, bad, right, wrong, and so on, in our opinions and words; they, being smarter than dogs (we hope) will understand our words and reasons behind it, and exercise their free will, in order to modify, or not, their behaviour. It's up to us what we say, it's up to them what they do. "Us" and "them" being freely exchangeable for me, we, they, she, you, or whatever; one person says his piece, and unlike a dog, the recipient has the grammar to understand it. Whether he acts upon it or not, is up to him.

Let me put it this way.  The reason why we can argue so strongly in games without impunity is that we keep it nice out here.  We know that we're not really flaming each other.  We're friends.  We like each other.  I like my games rough and my forums nice and vanilla.
Sure we are, but your "nice" and my "nice" may be different. I can call a life-long friend a "self-important blowhard", or a racial epithet, or an offensive nickname. I do all the time. Maybe you don't, and that's OK, but I do. So, how's your "nice" better or nicer or more bay12ish than mine? My friends know that, amongst friends, I tell shit as it is, no holds barred. Or are your friends better than my friends, or what is your point? My point is: I calls'em as I sees'em, as I posted way earlier, and that's how I treat my friends: honestly.

You've repeatedly said "I don't give a fuck about your opinion on the way I deliver my messages." 
I don't. I just deliver them. You take them, or discard them, or are offended by them, or love me forever for them, or whatever, at your option. All I do is output them, the most I can say about them is that they're honest. Your reaction to the output is your input's problem.

At the same time, you say "explain why you don't want me to berate people."
No, I haven't. I have not asked you to explain why I stopped beating my wife either. I am not berating anyone; I'm telling them their performance was disgraceful, they should be ashamed, and I won't join their games. If that's by you "berating" then you're better off not coming near my friends. They know how to berate... and yet we're still friends.

You've also said "if you don't like my opinions, then I will just leave."
It may have been my mistake. I thought for a moment you said something like "this is how we do things around here", to which I replied "given that I do things differently, and I'm here, then either it isn't or I shouldn't be here". But maybe I misunderstood. Please elaborate.

As for why, I actually care about people's feelings.  It's called empathy, sugar.  You might want to look it up in a dictionary.
I'm familiar with it, and I do, but when it comes to building a gaming community in this forum, I care more about activity. Most people here, by virtue of being here and playing this game, know or will know what's a thick skin and how to grow it. Growing a thick skin is part of the process of playing mafia (and indeed many consistent forum activities), and my telling, say, Argembarger, "your mother was a hampster and your father smelt of elderberries" shouldn't affect his feelings overmuch. If it does, then either he'll grow a thicker skin or he shouldn't be here, yes?

I don't like people coming here and being cared about more as a player than as a person.
Never said that, never meant that. People are people first, but they're here to play a game. Their people aspect comes to the fore if they'll be busy this week, or if they have interesting ideas, or if they want to meet to play chess or poker or have a few drinks at the Bay Area or whatever, but as far as this sub-forum is concerned, there's not much soul wrangling or gnashing of teeth. If their feelings really need a cuddle, they can go hang out in one of the "hug me" threads on General Discussion.

I don't like you saying "everyone remember this--heed ye!"  I don't like your ultimatums, I don't like your PSAs, and I don't like the nasty way you argue.
Once again, and I'm beginning to be concerned by how often you make this point, I've never recruited, or called people to do anything they don't want to do, or given any ultimatums (other than "put up or shut up").

By PSAs I wonder if you mean the LurkerTrackers... would you like them discontinued? That can also be arranged, if people favour it, but they're generally posted for general benefit, and the source is open for people to make their own (and indeed, some have), so even if I quit them, do you want Argembarger to quit his too? Or what is your point... that the LurkerTracker should never have existed? Are we tinkering with knowledge only God should have or something?

That doesn't mean that I want you to leave.  It means that I want you to change it, because I like the atmosphere here, I care about the players, and I don't think they deserve to be treated this way.  By anyone.
Change me? Sorry honey, prettier babes have tried and failed (wink). Seriously, I ain't changing. I give you my honest word that if a majority of people want me gone, I'll be gone, but otherwise I hate to inform you that your cherished community now includes this particular self-important blowhard: ME  <===

By the way, again: Jim & Pandar: Your piece? Or are you willing to have your mom do your fighting for ya? What is it that you objected about my post to BMXXI, or about my stance on lurkers, or my language or body odor or something? Do you want me gone? Speak up or be branded as little chickens hiding under your mom's skirt.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 03:27:56 am by Book »
Quote from: Toaster
Daykill Book is the new Vengekill Pandarsenic.
The ability to travel through time and space is insignificant next to the power of flavor.

"G.T.L. baby: Gym, Tanning, Laundry." -- The Situation

webadict is, by far, the coolest person ever. There is no way I could ever be cooler than webadict.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2410 on: March 16, 2011, 03:32:52 am »

As for why, I actually care about people's feelings.  It's called empathy, sugar.  You might want to look it up in a dictionary.
I'm familiar with it, and I do, but when it comes to building a gaming community in this forum, I care more about activity. Most people here, by virtue of being here and playing this game, know or will know what's a thick skin and how to grow it. Growing a thick skin is part of the process of playing mafia (and indeed many consistent forum activities), and my telling, say, Argembarger, "your mother was a hampster and your father smelt of elderberries" shouldn't affect his feelings overmuch. If it does, then either he'll grow a thicker skin or he shouldn't be here, yes?
   So you say that a new player should grow a thicker
skin as you go about poking him? You don't start with
thick skin, you develop it and you don't get a chance
if someone drives you off first.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: March 16, 2011, 03:35:05 am »

build a better community

This.

This is where I object.

Book, you are breaking down the wall between tactically exploiting anger (that of yourself and that of other players) within games, and being a roaring douchebag out of games. You have crossed lines even webadict at his most furious never crossed.

I would presently prefer you not leave. You're a good player, the LurkerTracker is one of the best things that has happened for this board, and I agree that lurking kills games. But if you cannot conduct yourself with a basic respect for the other members of this board as people and demonstrate the politeness appropriate to other human beings, I will (as per your challenge) vote for you to leave, because I don't think someone who will continue to introduce as much sheer malice as you have belongs here.

I mean honestly:

By the way: Pandar and Jim, you were quick to jump into agreement with yo mamma's posts. She's given up, so how 'bout you pick it up? Or were you just jumping into an easy bandwagon? If you have no further arguments, I restate what I said earlier, with a qualification: If my opinions are not welcome, say so, and if more votes are for than against then I won't come back. We'll even use the chess thread for it. Just man (ahem, or lack-thereof) up and state your friggin' challenge, or shut the fuck up.

Vector gets tired of your bullshit and you decide to call out other people so you have more people to argue with (or troll, as it were)? I mean, seriously? It's pretty obvious from how you said that phrase that you just were looking for more people to piss off. This thread is not the "troll other players" thread, it's the Games Threshold Discussion and List, for useful discussion about games and whether they're going into signups, not the Rage Rage Hate Thread for how you're not going to join games hosted by players who have just joined the subforum because they don't play perfectly yet or for how you love to fuck around with other Mafia players outside of games as much as you do in them.

tl;dr: I will accept your politeness or your absence, but would prefer the former.

PPE: Wow, uh, you demonstrated exactly what I'm talking about in that post.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: March 16, 2011, 03:38:43 am »

Just so you know, I'm not ignoring you guys but it's 1:40 here and I need to go to bed.  I also have a lot of work to do tomorrow.  As such, it may be a little while before I'm able to post.

Please try to keep yourselves calm and civil.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2413 on: March 16, 2011, 03:39:50 am »

Good night Vector.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: March 16, 2011, 05:25:33 am »

I will say that anybody who pulls the "if everybody wants me to leave, I'll leave" card loses several points of respect from me because that just causes drama. And I really, really dislike drama. Like this.

Because mafia is srs bsns.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 443