Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120631 times)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #870 on: July 28, 2011, 06:53:49 pm »

I think the latest game that adressed those problems was Portal 2. Intuitive puzzels, great gameplay and storyline on multiple levels, a myriad of ways to solve each problem, and Stephen Merchant.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: July 28, 2011, 07:42:03 pm »

I think the latest game that adressed those problems was Portal 2. Intuitive puzzels, great gameplay and storyline on multiple levels, a myriad of ways to solve each problem, and Stephen Merchant.

But.
But.
Portal 2 was easy.

They over-playtested it.  If people stared at a wall too long they put a sign on it telling them where to go.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: July 28, 2011, 07:45:21 pm »

@Draco18s
But that's against the point. I don't want to support their DRM scheme. The only way I can do that is by not buying their stuff.

@NewsMuffin
Steam doesn't remove DRM. Every game that has DRM outside steam either has a notice that it uses 3rd party DRM or switched to Steamworks, which is DRM all the same. Steam games still have Securom and other crap going on.

I think you confused the two... Portal 2 only had 2 maps which had alternative solutions to the puzzles. Portal 1 on the other hand, was the perfect puzzler, with the twitchy reaction requirement.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: July 28, 2011, 08:23:38 pm »

Hadn't seen the thread before. Just curious, do you realize what you sound like when you rant about how smart you are while calling people retards and using homophobic slurs for everyone who doesn't agree with you? I realize this was made more than a year ago, but wow, way to lay ignorance out in the open like that. Classy.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: July 28, 2011, 08:31:33 pm »

Hadn't seen the thread before. Just curious, do you realize what you sound like when you rant about how smart you are while calling people retards and using homophobic slurs for everyone who doesn't agree with you? I realize this was made more than a year ago, but wow, way to lay ignorance out in the open like that. Classy.

And who are you addressing?

It's common courtesy to quote an example.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: July 28, 2011, 08:46:39 pm »

And who are you addressing?

It's common courtesy to quote an example.

The OP specifically, I suppose. I was reading the first post to get an idea of the thread, and was greeted with loud whining and insults. I sort of agree on a few points, but the phrasing was pretty sad.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: July 28, 2011, 08:49:40 pm »

The OP specifically, I suppose. I was reading the first post to get an idea of the thread, and was greeted with loud whining and insults. I sort of agree on a few points, but the phrasing was pretty sad.

And that's why quotes are good.  That post is 6 months and 58 pages of thread ago.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 28, 2011, 08:54:19 pm »

So, assuming I don't want to read 58 pages of thread to catch up, where would I begin?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: July 28, 2011, 08:55:49 pm »

So, assuming I don't want to read 58 pages of thread to catch up, where would I begin?

Here, the first post since February.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: July 28, 2011, 09:02:33 pm »

(flaming removed)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:12:15 pm by Toady One »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: July 28, 2011, 09:15:30 pm »

Quote from: Forum Guidlines
Do not pick a fight or insult another poster.  Do not continue a fight if you feel you have been insulted.  Report it to the moderator.  If you instead respond in kind, you run the risk of being considered part of the problem.

Despite its prevalence on the internet, bigoted language is frowned upon here.  Do not go there.

Nobody's right, if everybody's wrong~

So. Anyone have anything substantial to add to the discussion? At all? Maybe consider locking the thread and letting it die if there isn't, neh?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:17:35 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: July 28, 2011, 09:36:08 pm »

Flamewar wankery aside, the always-online DRM thing reminded me of something posted elsewhere on this forum a short while ago.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-most-ominous-trends-in-video-games/

Yeah, it's Cracked, but the points are valid. 5 and 4 more directly, though the rest are relevant to the thread. I can't say I've bought anything with that kind of DRM lately though, I assume it's still in warez on release day, or soon after?

Also, it kinda bugs me that "social gaming" (read: farmville) is already being touted as the next big thing. It makes me worry that in the future most games will be some collection of ill-designed crap shoveled out the door every 6 months.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: July 28, 2011, 09:59:22 pm »

Silent Hunter was released with the crack before it was released officially. So yes, It's usually very close to release, be it before, day0 or after. Ubi's piracy excuse is simply not true.

I still haven't had a problem with social gaming, as far as I know, since it hasn't really reached the games I actually enjoy. But, ironically, I think I would use your description for most games right now, at least as far as gameplay goes. A lot of them is loaded with story and artistic value but the gameplay is so simple I really can't enjoy that sort of thing.

The DLC trend is starting to annoy me, however. Specially day 0 DLC. Preorder bonuses that you cannot acquire in any other means other than actually preorder or use a 3rd party mod/crack are also extremely annoying. There was an argument that it was akin to a discount or a promotion, but that doesn't sit right with me. I mean, I understand the argument and I think it's valid, but it's still very annoying.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: July 28, 2011, 11:05:32 pm »

As far as content goes, I'm gonna stick with Sturgeon's Law: "90% of everything is crap."

To pick a common example.... eh, let's say Doom, which was released in 1993.

These were also released in 1993. I recognize almost none of them. (Also, I had no idea this existed...)

I can't justify spending what they say DLC's are worth, but I don't mind waiting on some stuff til GOTY editions to get it all cheap (Borderlands). The only really worth the money DLC's I can think of are Mass Effect 2's.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: July 28, 2011, 11:26:58 pm »

I feel old now... I've played a lot of those '93 games. Soooo many good games in that list. Now I want to play them again. >.<

Edit:

I agree there are crappy games in every era of video games, the most prominent issue with old games being the interface in my point of view. A bad interface I can handle most of the time (see System Shock as a main example of a cluttered crazy interface on a truly awesome game), but the over simplification of the games in this modern era is quite offensive. I mean, they managed to dumb down DN3D when they made DNF.

I hope people don't screw the new Serious Sam.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:01:33 am by Soulwynd »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 66