Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: So i just discovered DF has 'Salmon Runs'  (Read 8951 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: So i just discovered DF has 'Salmon Runs'
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2010, 11:13:40 pm »

Plan: an elaborate system of floodgates and artificial underground lakes is built to funnel the fish. If you use Dorfputing to make a clock, this could be rigged to be automatic. Time it juuuuust right, and you can harvest the whole run as it spawns.

To test, we need to find out whether the salmon run is accurate to the day (for precision dorfputing), and whether repeated wholesale slaughter of the fish will one day wipe out the shad because they cannot get to their ancestral spawning grounds.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2010, 11:26:14 pm »

Someone should ask Toady whether this is intentional. I suspect it is, but you never know.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2010, 11:36:06 pm »

Someone should ask Toady whether this is intentional. I suspect it is, but you never know.
Right, but then we would have to decide which is more awesome.
Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2010, 12:44:32 am »

Perhaps you should do a bit of dwarf-forming and lengthen the river in your map.  Add a switchback or 10 so that the shad hopefully take longer to run across your map and give your dwarfs more time to fish them.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2010, 01:04:48 am »

If you set up no stockpiles whatsoever (or forbid), your dorfs should immediately go back to fishing and not care about the fish they just caught. :D
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2010, 01:17:41 am »

Verminsplosions are quite obviously intentional, there's even a tag relating to it in their raws, as someone pointed out earlier (the CLUSTER_NUMBER tag).  If you want to be incredibly evil, modify the Carp's CLUSTER_NUMBER tag to 1:10 and modify their POPULATION_NUMBER tag to 250:500, then watch the Fun.
Sanity is for the weak.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2010, 01:22:05 am »

I'll have to experiment with the shad run. I'm hoping the shad run is a programmed thing and independant of the fish population; if so, infinite fishing :D

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2010, 02:49:46 am »

d'ye think that these sort of sudden runs of fish happens in every river?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2010, 02:50:24 am »

They're Bi-anually at this site; once at the start of spring, once at the start of autumn.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2010, 03:12:03 am »

I'll be keeping an eye on my river then.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2010, 05:01:18 am »

They're Bi-anually at this site; once at the start of spring, once at the start of autumn.

I suspect that the upward spring run is the movement of adults up to the safe lakes to breed (and then die) and the downward autumn run is the movement of new juveniles into the  food-rife ocean.

Apparantly this is what Shad do.

Says the fry (young, small fish) live in fresh water for two years before moving into oceans. I expect the numbers of shad are drawn from a world population and that if you significantly disrupt this process you will badly damage the shad population, however you may not see the effects for another couple of years.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2010, 05:14:46 am »

I suspect that the upward spring run is the movement of adults up to the safe lakes to breed (and then die) and the downward autumn run is the movement of new juveniles into the  food-rife ocean.

Apparantly this is what Shad do.

Says the fry (young, small fish) live in fresh water for two years before moving into oceans. I expect the numbers of shad are drawn from a world population and that if you significantly disrupt this process you will badly damage the shad population, however you may not see the effects for another couple of years.

Yup, Salmon do it too (irl), i would suspect that Salmon probably do it in DF as well, as Salmon share the same tags as Shad.

I'd guess that the combination of vermin fish having biome river and biome ocean along with a clustersize is what causes this (i could be wrong; it's also quite possible it's a hardcoded behaviour, but clustersize seems to control Verminsplosions like Batsplosions, so it seems likely that it combined with biome tokens also controls fish runs), which is awesome.

I will endevour to make a massive dent in the Shad population and see if the runs stop. But that will have to wait until i have more than 17 dwarfs :D

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2010, 05:25:19 am »

Step 1 - Dam or drain the river.
Step 2 - Build a raising bridge on the river bed, link it to a lever. Make sure it's in the lowered position.
Step 3 - Undam or reflood the river.
Step 4 - Wait for shad run.
Step 6 - KACHUNK!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2010, 05:50:41 am »

So i started my project to redirect the river and thus hopefully improve fishing (my fisherdorfs were doing extremely well on their own mind you.)

I then discovered that miners will quite happily channel out the ground beneath their own feet, even if they have a perfectly safe place to stand next to the designated channeling area.

5 miners later, i started training some new ones on the dirt.

4 trainee miners later, i was in full tantrum spiral mode as all 35 of my Dwarfs started murdering each other.

Then i connected the pumps to pump the water out of the magma pipe so i could hopefully salvage my green glass tower.

Unfortunately, i had neglected to account for pressure.

My fortress crumbled to it's end when my one surviving dwarf opened the one door into the flooded part of the fort forgot to lock, and it got jammed open by the corpse of his wife.

Oops.

--EDIT--

Well hell, DF crashed when i tried to reclaim and now the world is nemesis erroring.

D:<

Owell, time to experiment with tokens, see if i can get a similar effect from other fishies.

TIME TO EMBARK ON SUM RIVERS.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:09:09 am by Neruz »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2010, 06:48:09 am »

On the upside; i've found a new location that has Shad runs.

On the downupside, SKELETAL HORSES EVERYWHERE.

--EDIT--

OH JESUS CHRIST IT HAS SALMON, TROUT AND SHAD RUNS. I EDITED OTHER FISH TO HAVE CLUSTER NUMBERS AND NOW MY RIVER IS MADE OF FISH OH MY GOD. THEYRE ALL RUNNING AT THE SAME TIME AAGH.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:49:54 am by Neruz »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5