Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 175072 times)

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #480 on: December 22, 2010, 09:08:47 pm »

"...and you really don't remember anything at all?  hmm... Amnesia as a result of a concussion, maybe?  Doesn't seem to be any head injury.  Perhaps a hint of cavern madness... I can barely imagine what vile fumes lurk the darkness down in those passage ways.  Probably the kind of things that would drive even a DWARF to the brink of madness, definitely enough to turn any human yellow!  'Aint well versed in your anatomy, so I can't well say if you've got some-such out of place, but you look fine to me.  You two sure this one was in a battle?  Barely looks scratched up at all.  Well... 'Less Steve has any qualms, I suggest you head down to the dinning hall and pick yourself up a strong brew; that'll settle your mind."  Reg was spectacle of Sandra's participation when the goblin was telling the story (he watched as Bax eyed his silver instruments), but when Stas confirmed it, he had to believe it.  Stas is a good dwarf.  Must of been some journey, he thought, and he would have gone down himself, SOMEONE had to man the post, and steve was more of a field doc anyway.  Hopefully Steve will fill him in when he returns from the storm.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Fisher-Risen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 23, 2010, 12:50:25 pm »

Hammer of the Gods was intrigued... The newest Humans blade was Black Steel, a metal, like cobalt, only found in the far off lands fromm which she herself had lived. She must speak to Lal (her god) on this. But before that, Her equipment once more needed cleaning. So off she headed to her regualar post by the enttrance to the place of worship. Now it had a pallet, and she kept an iron flask nearby, alonng with some rations. She spent more time here than anywhere else.

(would be cool to simulate this by building a bed and placing some food and booze near to where you think her post might be, then making it a burrow with only her assigned)
Quote from: Veok
"I had a great fortress going on until Leonidas kicked open the door to my clown car, but my blue suede shoes weren't ready, so Uncle Sam and his friends went to town on my tax returns."

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 24, 2010, 12:29:44 am »

What the hell does that Hammer person do that requires constant cleaning of her gear?
She hasn't even been in a fight ever! Probably OCD, makes sense I guess. Ye gods I'm almost surrounded by maniacs.
As for that woman, Sandra was it? I wasn't with her at the time Reg but from what I've been told she just flipped out and ninja'd a bunch of wee beasties. I used to be stationed near a human town where the inhabitants did that whenever we showed up for a scrap can't remember much though was years ago.

rogejun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 24, 2010, 03:12:11 pm »

"Thanks Reg, i will go right away"

Sandra closed the door behinde her and walked in the direction of the dinning hall when she fell a little pain in her head
"It will pass" She said while rubbing hereyes, Arriving in the dinning hall she grabed one mug with beer and sit in the
closest chair. Lifting the cup slowly to his lips and Drinking it,sighing she looked at beer inside the mug, the pain was
slowly fading away. She could see her reflection in the beer, looking around to be sure that there's was nobody near her,
she whispered:

"Ryva you can hear me?"

After some seconds of silence Ryva answered her, a little hint of angry in her voice.

"What you need kid?"

"Are you okay? What happened to make you faint back there?"

"Don't worry about that, it was nothing I was just a little tired"

"But if they discovery our secret? I lied to then, Lying is wrong and I don't want to leave this fortress. I like this place,
here they don't know who we are."

"Sandra, they are more Worried about the Nothing and surviving, I don't think they will mind having you
living with then and if they try anything I kill then all."

"I think you right, thanks..I guess."

"Now let me go back to sleep, I was having one really great dream until you waked me up."

"Can you tell me about it?"

"It don't is a thing you will want know, belive me, now let me sleep."

"Good night Ryva"

Sandra could fell that she was sleeping again, Sandra relaxed in the chair and continued to drink her beer.
Maybe Ryva was right and the people in the fortress don't will mind having a psychotic killer living with then......right?

Fisher-Risen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 24, 2010, 06:28:57 pm »

As the last priest joined the others on their way to their quarters, Hammer of the Gods slowly made her way through the halls. "Hmm... Tonight is a good night..." She said to herself. Like she had every other night for the past week, she made her way down to the caverns, doing her best to stay unseen. Surely the others wouldn't mind her keeping her skills sharp on the cavern creatures......
Quote from: Veok
"I had a great fortress going on until Leonidas kicked open the door to my clown car, but my blue suede shoes weren't ready, so Uncle Sam and his friends went to town on my tax returns."

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 04, 2011, 02:19:44 pm »

From the log of Fori

I’ve found that I’ve been a little different since returning. Everyone was. We were subdued this time, quieter, more sober in both senses of the word. The thoughts on the cave in, that somebody living in Nomekast was a traitor, weighed heavily on more than just my mind. Nor was there much of a fanfare when we returned, just the shouting of a mad blind dwarf near the magma. Though we did meet Stas on the way up, telling us about some new refugees arriving. The expedition members all went up to the entrance to aid the guard in case any defilers attacked while we let in the refugees.

Spirits, I wished it was only defilers that we faced. But to see them corrupting other creatures like that? Even goblins didn’t deserve to be made slaves and thralls of such demons in such totality. Their very bodies used as the sinew and skeletons for the defiler’s monsterous forms. Were they aware during that time? Did they know of the actions they were taking? Or did they simply sleep while the defilers moved them? Or did the goblins simply surrender willingly, perhaps for some promise of plunder and slaughter working for the defilers? One way or another, we no longer face simply the defiler’s bestial cunning, they have the cruel intelligence of goblins to draw on now too. It makes me wonder, are elves being enslaved and corrupted like this?

For a long while, I felt the need to withdraw and think of it. I stayed up in the lighthouse, rain notwithstanding, and simply watched the storm, seeing the flashes of lightning and listening to the peals of thunder. But as I have found in the past, whenever I feel myself slipping into one of these depressed moods, I find that getting up and doing something helps. And there is much that needs doing. After going back down and changing into dry clothes, I began my investigation. After talking with the other expedition members, I soon found that none of them had gone their separate ways on their own. They couldn’t have caused the cave in. (This doesn’t rule out an accomplice though.) So it had to be someone who stayed behind. I began asking around with the other dwarves and assorted beings. I didn’t ask people what they were doing, I’ve found that tends to make them defensive, just what they saw or knew of everyone else doing.  Hopefully I’ll be able to find some suspicious patterns, and eventually the culprit.

AKingsQuest

• Bay Watcher
  • The king lost his golden pantaloons, go find them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 14, 2011, 01:55:31 am »

Yo, are you going to give us a update soon?

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 14, 2011, 02:01:02 am »

You made me think there was an update.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 15, 2011, 07:45:37 pm »

Sorry for the long wait guys, things have been a bit hectic what with Christmas, New Years and then the restart of school.

17th Hematite 676

The morning of the 17th heralded the start of the investigation into the still-unknown saboteur and attempted murderer who had caused the cave-in down on the lower levels. The tribunal was made up of everyone from the expedition, with Tarran spearheading it. As they interviewed each of Nomekast's 38 citizens, Spartan began work upon something which many people had not expected to see again since their escape from the crumbling ruins of civilization; a prison.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The investigation was difficult going, each story and alibi had to be cross-checked, with witnesses and more; and what with the community never really having kept much of an eye upon the comings and goings of its members, it made it all that more difficult.

Bayar and Volrath had been accepted into the community, despite the usual grumblings of Reg and his supporters, and the two had been assigned beds in the communal barracks.

The day also heralded another much sadder event;

Kogan Enshal, the widow who had seen her husband torn to shreds by the Nothing to save her, had finally succumbed to death after refusing to drink or eat. She had fallen into a deep melancholic mood, the famed melancholy that Dwarven society had nicknamed 'the Blue Death'. That night, they had a funeral for her, and she was laid to rest besides Sibrek the farmer, who had been killed by Mysterydrip, with a tombstone declaring only her name and date of death, no one knew anything else about her.

For the rest of the fort though, life went on. Summer heralded the planting of the crops, a task which everyone joined in, sowing plump helmets, pig tails and cave wheat.

Meanwhile the militia - or rather, the militia excluding those in the investigation - as well as the temple priests, Volrath, and Meinhard's recruits trained.

And hidden in the Fiery Cistern, Bayar had taken a spare pick and begun digging out a small recess which he intended as a shrine for the Ascended Ones of Kobold legend.

20th Hematite 676 - Evening

"It's useless, we'll never find them!" Rion grumbled, throwing the sheaves of paper down onto the table. The tribunal for finding the wannabe murderer had laboured day after day for almost four days now. They had interviewed everyone, and yet it seemed they were no closer to finding the culprit. "All we have are people's shady memories, not to mention that if someone went somewhere less frequented for peace - like up to the lighthouse - then they'll immediately seem suspicious and yet be innocent. We can't win."

"Nonsense." Tarran said firmly, holding up a sheaf of paper as proof of his assertion, "I've finished the preliminary list of suspects. Now we-"

"Wait," Sandra interjected suddenly, "if we have the list of suspects, are we going to arrest people?" she sounded concerned.

"I volunteer to do it." Bax grinned. Despite his position in the tribunal, he had done very little in actually aiding them - if he even turned up. Tarran nodded at Sandra's question,

"Yes, but there's no one high enough in our suspicions to be jailed yet."

"Right, well show us the list then." Delta said. Tarran handed the paper over so that they could all see it,

Level 5 (Not suspect): All else.
Level 4 (Periodic checks): Ast Tekkudsefol, Stas, Goden Stinthad, Reg Archist
Level 3 (Watched): Ibruk, Nish Taronmedtob, Gutusp
Level 2 (House-arrest): Rakust Aranlikot
Level 1 (Imprisoned): N/A

"Rakust Aranlikot?" Steve asked, Tarran nodded,

"Apparently she vanished for an entire day not long before the cave-in. She says she went to the upper levels, but no one saw her."

"Why is Stas on here?" Bax questioned,

"Disappears for hours on end sometimes, as does Gutusp and her Elf child."

"You mean slave." Fori interjected,

"Aye, but that's not the matter at hand. We'll need to sort out who will watch who, when checks are needed on the Level 3's, and we'll need to put Rakust under arrest." Rion said.

"How are we going to put her under house-arrest when we have a communal bedroom?" Derm asked.

"They'll be under arrest in my cottage, I'm not going to be working on it while this is under way, and the only way out is the door or the cave crocodile infested lake which leads out into the wilderness." Tarran explained.

"Well, whatever you decide I'm sure you'll enjoy it, now I have to get going." Bax said, rising and leaving the room.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Stas was waiting impatiently for Bax, shrouded like ever in his cloak. He was down on the Fiery Cistern. With both Tarran and Muenster caught up in the proceedings, and with the rest of the workers off for dinner, the place was deserted save for him - a perfect atmosphere for underhanded work. Finally the greenskin arrived, with little Atis trailing behind him. He said nothing, giving the Dwarf nothing but a thumbs-up. Stas nodded, and the three of them made their way down to the forges.

"If we can do this, we may be able to get the saboteur blamed for the silver's disappearance." Stas murmured to Bax. Despite the emptiness of the place, it was still safer to keep their voices down, in case anyone came. Bax nodded,

"We'll have to do it soon, they're going to move in and arrest a certain Rakust soon, she's the best suspect they've got." he said. Stas grinned,

"Rakust Aranlikot? Slip a silver bar under her bed, when they search her quarters and find it, she'll be blamed and we'll be home and dry."

They soon arrived at the forges, and made for the stacks of bars at the side. Stas removed a large bag from beneath his cloak, handing it to Bax, "Keep this open while I put the bars inside." The Goblin did so. The silver bars were buried under stacks of lead and copper bars. Carefully moving the bars one at a time to avoid making the pile collapse, Stas began putting the silver ingots into the bag, as he did so he counted them under his breath gleefully, "One...two...three..."

"Hurry up!" Bax hissed, "They've only gone for dinner, not for a torture show."

"Torture show," Stas said with a bemused tone, "you Goblins really do live up to your reputa-" Stas stopped for an instant, a particular bar catching his eye. He made for it, picking it up, "Platinum." he breathed. There was a second bar besides it, he took it joyfully. He turned to Bax, "Platinum." he repeated, "These...fools, just left platinum lying around. A bar of this can...could buy you a mansion in the mountain homes."

"Just put it in the bag!" Bax hissed. Soon the bag was beginning to get too heavy, and the two left it off there. With six bars of silver and two platinum bars. Stas meanwhile, was carrying a silver bar in each hand, concealed beneath his cloak. Just before they left, Bax took one more bar of silver, handing it to Atis, she stared at it curiously, marvelling at its reflections in the light, then Bax heaved the bag over his shoulders with a groan,

"Damn, loot tends to be easier to carry than this." he grumbled. Stas shushed him, leading the way back into the residential areas. Everyone was still at dinner, and the coast was clear. With fleet-footedness the three made their way into Stas' Thieves Guild hide-out.

"Put it into the treasury." Stas told Bax, handing him one of the silver bars he was carrying. He held the other one up to the light, admiring it, "I'll go slip this under Rakust's bed while everyone's still eating, before our friends the detectives arrest her. If she's going to be blamed for murder, what harm could tacking theft onto her record do?"
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 15, 2011, 07:52:36 pm »

(Glad to have you back. You know, we really should have a list of who everyone is and what the plot points are. I can't keep up with this many names. For instance, I have completely forgotten who Stas is. Also the hall of legends has finally been updated, look upon ye works, and show pride, for it is among the best of the best.)
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 15, 2011, 10:45:09 pm »

Yay! update! Nice to see you still alive. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

AKingsQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 16, 2011, 03:26:22 am »

(Its in the hall of legends?Cool, I voted for it, you can thank me later.XP)

Volrath Blacksteel diary entry 2:When I met with the prophet he said if I did not repent my sins and worship his god I would be doomed to death by the nothing.He said that the nothing were sent to clean the world and that this was my only chance to survive.I told him where he could stick his damn dwarf god and walked out.A day later I was in the dining room, drinking a cup of ale and the number one troll lover (looking as  arrogant as fuck) with two of his boyfriends, showed up at my table.He said that all races needed to come together, even savages like me and too that end, he would be willing to forgive last nights outburst if I repented.Sadly I could not forgive his mouth, so I decided to shut it up with my fist.The blow sent him flying into the wall with a loud crash.His guards unsheathed there weapons but before we could have some fun he bid them out of the room.Sir troll lover followed them, holding his broken nose the whole way.

It is strange that these dwarfs follow this coward.Some of his followers are fine warriors that I would be proud to fight alongside.Maybe they are to drunk to tell how big of a bitch he is?

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 16, 2011, 11:59:45 am »

"It's true I have been known to harbor... poor feeling towards elves and other such nuisances.  But, damn it (jim), I'm a DOCTOR, not a murderer!  Even if I was pushed the very edge where the need to snuff out one of them overwhelmed my doctor's code, I would NEVER endanger another dwarf in the process.  Besides, I'm no miner; I only had a small run with the pick when the fort was just starting, no real experience, how could I have caused a perfectly timed cave in?  And I've heard the tales, I know you split up.  How can you be sure it wasn't one of you who sit on the very pompous throne that accuses the innocent?  How do we know the murderer isn't in this very room?  Course, now's not the time to be blamin' those who sit beside us, for then we have absolute chaos, but what about that one who drags 'round that elf underling everywhere?  Suspicious lot, those two.  Often a night I'll hear those cold feet slinking 'cross the rough floors, no destination I could tell, jus' walking round and round.  This is a time of great peril and danger, and if we start wrongfully blaming our dwarven brothers, we might as well dye our skins green and live in a damn wooden house!  Now I've got things to attend to, good day."
Reg was content with the speak he had given the tribunal.  He knew they would trust their dwarven instincts and make the right choice. 

---------------------------
also, I have supporters? :D
and go ahead, search him! we have nothing to hide (maybe).
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Slain

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 16, 2011, 12:30:19 pm »

Hey there, I'd like to enter Dorfdom!

Name: Ukrzum
Race: Dwarf
Background: Urkzum was once part of a fairly prosperous outpost, until the Nothing descended upon it. Whilst the first wave was repulsed, the heavy losses caused the fortress to tear itself to pieces, with infighting and insanity common. Rather than fall to some crazed brother-dwarf, Ukrzum instead barricaded himself into the supply rooms, to hide out until the insanity ceased. This plan would've worked, if not for a clan of Goblins who re-purposed the fort for themselves. This meant his self-imposed imprisonment went on for far longer than his original supplies could last. Urkzum had to learn the skills on an entire fortress on-the-job, leading him to become a true jack-of-all-trades. With his new found knowledge, his managed to tunnel out of his old fortress and back into the world above, accompanied by the various pets left over from the original settlement.

So yeah, he's okay at all skills, only showing a notable skill in animal care and training, his war dogs helping him hold off the Nothing.
Sigs are for pansies.

AKingsQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 17, 2011, 01:25:46 am »

Volrath Blacksteel diary entry 3:I was walking too my bed, looking forward to a good nights sleep and I saw the most beautiful elf lass ever to grace the world.Hauling stone, if you can believe a elf would ever do such a thing.She had the long blond hair, an angelic face and perky breasts standard to her race.But unlike any of her kin, she also had the body of a amazon warrior.It was love at first sight, I tell you!

I decided to let her know of my interest in the traditional blacksteel tribe way, by giving her a firm pinch on the ass.Sadly elf culture must be very different then my own, because she started cursing me with words I did not even know existed, before storming off!.Bah, women are to crazy to talk to sober, I am going too bed.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 76