Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this be made into one of the new DFHack plugins? (This is not binding)

Yes, I want to be able to use it with the DFHack console
- 288 (45.6%)
No, I like the stand alone QT version
- 140 (22.2%)
Both
- 204 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 631

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 106

Author Topic: Runesmith - A DC like tool  (Read 366082 times)

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Runesmith - A DC like tool
« Reply #225 on: June 22, 2010, 06:50:55 am »

I have a small request, sizeak. Is it possible for you to code a feature that allows Runesmith to write a custom X/Y/Z position for a creature, to allow defacto teleportation? I know that it currently reads and displays this, but I would like to modify the creature's location as well. I had an idea about building a completely enclosed space, teleporting the HFS there, and then every time you get a goblin siege (or elf merchants), proceed to teleport the latter within the "arena". Joy of joys as you see the goblins/hippies utterly slaughtered by those nasties.  :D

This was/is planned.

I love this program, however there is one thing that i want to know... where is that ability for my dwarfs to understand relationships, as I maxed out all attributes and skills, yet I still got this problem where they have a poor ability to understand relationships or manage it...

Did you do any monkeying with the "Traits" tab? I'm not sure that that's there, but it's a place to start looking...

I did, but i don't think it's that. It should be at the attribute section because it's red instead of green, I think it's not added into it.

It looks like Runesmith is missing entries for the following attributes:

-Kinesthetic Sense
-Empathy
-Social Awareness

That's probably why your dorfs still has "relationship problems  :P"; you couldn't modify the Social Awareness attribute if you wanted to. I guess this is another feature request to sizeak for the next version?  ;)

Looking at it from the positive side, at least your dwarves can rip apart sieges with their bare hands.

Didn't realise I'd missed these out. Sorry, I'll get an update out with them in sometime today. Also, you do realise that kinaesthetic sense is at the bottom right... actually my bad, the row count was one less than it should be so it wasn't being displayed
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:04:28 am by sizeak »
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 22, 2010, 11:17:18 am »

Bad news. I implemented setting the mood skill and it still causes them to go berserk if you set a mood. I'm guessing you need them to have mood materials to, however these aren't present unless it's a real mood and currently its not something that can be set.

Edit: On a good note, it's now possible to edit their positions, though be careful where you transport them to, it's very possible to transport them into solid rock...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 12:25:05 pm by sizeak »
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

rgon842

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2010, 12:52:43 pm »

Bad news. I implemented setting the mood skill and it still causes them to go berserk if you set a mood. I'm guessing you need them to have mood materials to, however these aren't present unless it's a real mood and currently its not something that can be set.

Edit: On a good note, it's now possible to edit their positions, though be careful where you transport them to, it's very possible to transport them into solid rock...

That's too bad about the moods, as it would be something that we could play around with. But look at it from the positive side: Ambush surprised your farmer? Instead of having him try to run away and eventually get killed, you can have him go in a berserk rage and take down some gobbos before eventually getting killed ;D.

Many thanks for the position editing though! This is a feature that will see MUCH use in my forts. You shouldn't worry about teleporting stuff into solid rock; after all, that noble who requests to be teleported to the booze pile will suddenly find himself in a porting "mishap"...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2010, 01:14:45 pm »

Is it just me, or does changing a gender only sort of work? I changed a male dorf into a woman, but that dorf still went on to bed down a woman. Also, Dwarf Therapist still sorts them by their original gender, even after restarting the program.

I feel like I'm doing a lot of complaining and nothing to help. I just want you to know, sizeak, that I really appreciate this tool, and it's an awesome thing you've brought to life. Between Runesmith and DF, it's inspired me to go into programming, so long as there's a "Programming for noobz" class.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

rgon842

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 22, 2010, 01:30:55 pm »

Is it just me, or does changing a gender only sort of work? I changed a male dorf into a woman, but that dorf still went on to bed down a woman. Also, Dwarf Therapist still sorts them by their original gender, even after restarting the program.

I feel like I'm doing a lot of complaining and nothing to help. I just want you to know, sizeak, that I really appreciate this tool, and it's an awesome thing you've brought to life. Between Runesmith and DF, it's inspired me to go into programming, so long as there's a "Programming for noobz" class.

Well, a man is still a man (or dwarf), even if he grows a pair of boobs after eating way too much McDonald's...  :P

On a serious note, its possible that gender definitions are much more than just a simple flag. Quite possibly there's various underlaying code (and memory offsets) that still define that dwarf to be its original gender, regardless of how many times he visits the Runesmith for a sex-change.

One quick thought just popped up: Will a dwarf so changed be able to get pregnant and bear children?

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 22, 2010, 01:39:56 pm »

Hmm yeah that'd a DF thing. As you can see, the change it clearly being written, there just must be something else that needs changing or something. The thing is, all the changes we do are done from hacking the memory and what piece of memory does what is all found through trial and error. There's no actual information from toady on what does what or where it is etc.

So basically we're just changing the value of bits of DF's memory while guessing at what it does. So really everything is not going to work, we just have to try and get it to work as well as we can with what we have.

Thanks for the support, it all started as something just for me that I wasn't even going to release lol. If you want to get into programming, I would personally recommend getting a footing in C before anything else, since it gives you a good idea of what the hardware is actually doing. It also gives you a good foundation for learning C++ without having to worry about OOP to much. The problem with languages like Java when you're learning is that they hide to much of what the system is actually doing and while this may be fine once you can program, while learning it's good to learn things what' actually going on in the hardware.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:52:02 pm by sizeak »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 22, 2010, 02:25:53 pm »

Well, a man is still a man (or dwarf), even if he grows a pair of boobs after eating way too much McDonald's...  :P

On a serious note, its possible that gender definitions are much more than just a simple flag. Quite possibly there's various underlaying code (and memory offsets) that still define that dwarf to be its original gender, regardless of how many times he visits the Runesmith for a sex-change.

One quick thought just popped up: Will a dwarf so changed be able to get pregnant and bear children?
well I had a female to male adventure swap back to female once I retired her in a town.
I wonder since runesmith can turn normal people who would say no to joining into excited meat shields can this be done on those who can't talk like wild life.
If I can find a way then all those who want to play as Beastmaster dreams can come true.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:56:45 pm by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 22, 2010, 07:16:58 pm »

I will see if I can't find a C for Dummies handbook or something. Sounds good.

I didn't think I'd ever say this, but it looks like I have even MORE of a reason to play this game. For !!SCIENCE!!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 22, 2010, 07:30:14 pm »

Portal Quote FTW

The sex problem might be linked to caste according to petrix, so I'm going to have to look into changing the caste at the same time if it's possible & stable to do so.

Also, just a progress update. Implemented changing the civilisation of things with a checkbox for easy interaction. In game it lists them as tame, not sure if this is usual or not since I've never actually used it before. I've also fixed the keyboard navigation in the tables, so now when you press up & down to move through the list of dwarves or whatever, it actually changes your selection properly
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:06:44 pm by sizeak »

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 22, 2010, 09:50:09 pm »

V0.1.4 released & uploaded, done some testing and it seems ok, but I imagine you lot will find a bug or two. I hope not though, would do more but going to bed now as it's 4am.

V0.1.4 Changes:
  • Added position editing
  • Added mood skill editing
  • Added missing attributes
  • Fixed keyboard navigation in the dwarf and creature tables
  • Some minor internal optimisation

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 22, 2010, 09:55:13 pm »

sizeak's Runesmith: We do what we must, because, it's fun.

Oddly, that fits the tune if you sing it out loud.

Edit: Also, I thought I saw something about different castes per gender in [CREATURE:DWARF] in the raw/objects/creature_standard file, but I wasn't sure what it meant, because I are noob. So, you're probably right about that.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 10:02:42 pm by MaximumZero »

rgon842

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 22, 2010, 11:07:34 pm »

V0.1.4 released & uploaded, done some testing and it seems ok, but I imagine you lot will find a bug or two. I hope not though, would do more but going to bed now as it's 4am.

V0.1.4 Changes:
  • Added position editing
  • Added mood skill editing
  • Added missing attributes
  • Fixed keyboard navigation in the dwarf and creature tables
  • Some minor internal optimisation

SUPER SWEET! Those gobbos will not know what hit 'em (Actually, they will. A piece of the floor as they're falling from 400 Z up in the sky.) :P

This utility has progressed so much, I can't even fathom why I was playing DF without it. Runesmith will eventually be the all-in-one for serious DF hacking.

Minor request, if possible: Does dfhack have the ability to find the flag that sets 'On Break' status for a dorf? If so, can you add this feature to the Flags tab in Runesmith? It kinda ticks me off that my broker is "on break" and there are three different caravans waiting in the depot ::).

sizeak's Runesmith: We do what we must, because, it's fun.

Oddly, that fits the tune if you sing it out loud.

Edit: Also, I thought I saw something about different castes per gender in [CREATURE:DWARF] in the raw/objects/creature_standard file, but I wasn't sure what it meant, because I are noob. So, you're probably right about that.

Derailing the thread a bit:

Yeah, all creatures in the raw from 0.31 on have now two castes: male and female. You should already know what these two thing are.  ;D  The [FEMALE] tag allows for that caste to become pregnant and bear children; the male tag does nothing special, but a caste with [FEMALE] tag needs another caste with the [MALE] tag to do the thing with the birds and the bees. You are able to add additional castes to a creature entry, and, of course, add the gender tabs as well; you could have 5 different castes of childbearers and three "male" castes. Each childbearing caste can get pregnant and give birth to different castes as well, according to a population ratio that you specify.

Actually, this begs the question: What happens when a caste has both the [MALE] and [FEMALE] tag?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 22, 2010, 11:33:08 pm »

I do believe the bottommost tag overwrites the topmost one. I recall toady mentioning that you can't have one caste with both tags, so I assume it is a conflict.  And usually in the raws in the case of conflicting tags the tag that appears later in the entry overwrites the earlier ones.

This post is mostly just here to get this thread into my updated topics list.   Nice work so far.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #238 on: June 22, 2010, 11:41:45 pm »

So sizeak...

I used your program for the first time today...

I am...

Very pleased ;)

The interface is very easy to use. I like how easy it is to mod stats.

Keep up the good work, now all you need to implement is the tile editor and I'd cuddle up next to you ;P lol... jk... or am I?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

rgon842

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 23, 2010, 01:36:43 am »

I do believe the bottommost tag overwrites the topmost one. I recall toady mentioning that you can't have one caste with both tags, so I assume it is a conflict.  And usually in the raws in the case of conflicting tags the tag that appears later in the entry overwrites the earlier ones.

This post is mostly just here to get this thread into my updated topics list.   Nice work so far.

Thanks much for the response. I was actually hoping that they'd work together; it would allow me to mod "self-replicating" creatures such as oozes and other slimies.

Following up on this, I wonder if dfhack library has an offset that toggles pregnancy; this should allow for quick catsplosion :D.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 106