Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this be made into one of the new DFHack plugins? (This is not binding)

Yes, I want to be able to use it with the DFHack console
- 288 (45.6%)
No, I like the stand alone QT version
- 140 (22.2%)
Both
- 204 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 631

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 106

Author Topic: Runesmith - A DC like tool  (Read 366083 times)

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Runesmith - A DC like tool
« Reply #660 on: September 07, 2010, 10:44:53 am »

Don't get me started on real life right now, it's crazy. Moving house is so stressful :(

I was thinking earlier and I'd quite like to write an app that reached more of the community. The DF community is a niche and the functionality offered by Runesmith (*cough* cheating *cough*) is a niche within that niche and a niche within a niche is fairly small. I think it would be good to do an app that more people can use & enjoy, either that or make Runesmith more attractive for other purposes. Thoughts?
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #661 on: September 07, 2010, 12:04:26 pm »

If you're looking for something to work on, I'd suggest either taking over or writing a new iteration of Dwarf Therapist. As far as it sounds, there's a large portion of the DF user base that won't play without DT and since chmod stepped down it's sure to break at some future DF update.

There were rumors that someone had already stepped up to take over the project, but I haven't managed to track down anything official.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 07, 2010, 01:13:30 pm »

It isn't like therapist has outstanding bugs or features that need to be added.

As long as memory.xml stays updated and it gets included in LNP, what difference does it really make?
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 07, 2010, 01:16:34 pm »

It's not cheating. It's utilizing all available resources. ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Woof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 07, 2010, 01:29:04 pm »

It's not cheating, it's just evening the odds and avoiding unnecessary fun until my epic defence plan is in place :)

Damn goblins...

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #665 on: September 07, 2010, 03:05:03 pm »

It isn't like therapist has outstanding bugs or features that need to be added.

Sure there are.  Some of the ones that would be most useful are correctly reading information from mods (such as custom positions and castes), pulling in all of the new attribute information from 0.31, and successfully porting to Linux/Mac.

As long as memory.xml stays updated and it gets included in LNP, what difference does it really make?

That's actually one of the biggest problems in DT in my opinion.  It doesn't use DFHack, it has it's own memory definition files.  So every time that the DF version updates, you have to find the offsets for both DFHack and for DT separately.  Back towards the end of the 40d series there was a branch of DT that used DFHack, but when chmod came back with 0.31, the DFHack branch died out.

Really, it would be rather useful to change DT over to use DFHack so that when DF does any sort of changes to its internal memory scheme, you can automatically (or at least easily) update the programs that depend on it.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 07, 2010, 04:20:11 pm »

From what I understand, it didn't die out, it was forced out because he didn't like it
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #667 on: September 07, 2010, 04:27:51 pm »

From what I understand, it didn't die out, it was forced out because he didn't like it

Could be.  Although chmod has moved on, so it could be done more easily now.

DT is MIT Licensed in any case so creating a new DFHack branch is entirely legit.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 07, 2010, 04:59:48 pm »

That's actually one of the biggest problems in DT in my opinion.  It doesn't use DFHack, it has it's own memory definition files.  So every time that the DF version updates, you have to find the offsets for both DFHack and for DT separately.  Back towards the end of the 40d series there was a branch of DT that used DFHack, but when chmod came back with 0.31, the DFHack branch died out.

Well, it doesn't even have to use df hack to use memory.xml.

When df hack finishes its new memory file layout, I'll hack DT to use offsets from that file if no one else takes over by then.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #669 on: September 07, 2010, 05:05:45 pm »

Well, it doesn't even have to use df hack to use memory.xml.

When df hack finishes its new memory file layout, I'll hack DT to use offsets from that file if no one else takes over by then.

That would be nice.  Or even a tool to read the memory offsets from Memory.xml (although the former would be preferable).  I think the problem with doing that so far is something to do with how the offsets are calculated differently.  Take that with a grain of salt though, I don't remember where I actually read that.

I was thinking earlier and I'd quite like to write an app that reached more of the community. The DF community is a niche and the functionality offered by Runesmith (*cough* cheating *cough*) is a niche within that niche and a niche within a niche is fairly small. I think it would be good to do an app that more people can use & enjoy, either that or make Runesmith more attractive for other purposes. Thoughts?

Back to the original thought, another interesting app that I'm sure that I'd use is something that could edit terrain in a manner as user friendly as Runesmith is for editing creatures with a full GUI.  The DFHack apps that let you play with liquids or dig things are useful but leave something to be desired in interface.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 07, 2010, 05:09:43 pm »

I still want appearance/likes editing. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 07, 2010, 05:09:57 pm »

Heh, the only thing I want is the ability to modify a creature's appearance.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 07, 2010, 08:37:22 pm »

I have a save made right when the dwarf went moody.  I'll keep hold of it for a while in case you'd like it for testing purposes.

:S that's a new one. Well it will be a while until I can do anything, still assembling furniture.
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 07, 2010, 11:34:17 pm »

once I figure out save dumping I could give you the Cage trapped body swap save to help in cutting the middleman and get straight to the adventurer mind control abilities that would surely cause Horrors if one thinks to much about it.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 08, 2010, 04:16:34 am »

once I figure out save dumping I could give you the Cage trapped body swap save to help in cutting the middleman and get straight to the adventurer mind control abilities that would surely cause Horrors if one thinks to much about it.

Just save and the .7zip, .rar or .zip (in that order of preference) the save folder up and put it on rapidshare (free hosting for files under about 200MB) and post the link. To both of you actually
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 106